• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do farmers ever retire? If so what at what age? Looking for your opinions!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do farmers ever retire? If so what at what age? Looking for your opinions!

I was visiting with a friend the other day and we started to talk about how long we want to keep farming....still have a few years to go before that but it got me thinking.

We have some decent equity in the land and operations but cash always seems to have places to go.

What do you folks think about the right age as far as either transitioning to the next generation or selling out?

Seems a lot of us want to go on until we drop dead with our boots on?

Be careful and safe for your loved ones.

boots and money aint got nothing to do with it,not me,the guys i see......well first in last out of the field,god gave them something ,them old bastards got a strength i only dream off,my kin included.

Comment

Never talked to a retired farmer who wished he was still farming

Comment

Agree 100%stubble jumper.

There is no right or wrong answer.its your life.do what you wish.some quit early and have a second occupation.some quit to go golfing..play with grand kids..holiday every day.others Farm till they close the pine box on them..they let the spouse or kids deside what happens to the farm.

We have a exit plan.hope our health stays with us to enjoy it.

Comment

I think it makes a difference if the next generation is going to farm. My kids aren't interested but 83 year old dad is still out there but only running for parts now. Me, when the nest egg is big enough I'm done.

Comment

I still think I am young and in the growth phase, but if my kids want to take over, I'll graciously step aside, and not need to saddle them with big debt of buying the farm all over again. I have other easier ways of making a living.

Any generation who stays in control longer than 30 years is doing a big disservice to their kids.

As for age, my neighbor at age 40 was already talking about plans for winding down. Myself at almost 40, feel like I'v barely even got started.

Comment

My farming career was a retirement bucket list that got out of hand...now I am not sure I can ever retire.
              And that was 20 years ago.....having more fun the smaller I get, but still like playing with the cows...so, as long as I can keep some of them and still do other things, great. If not, bye bye cows.

Comment

Farming IS retirement if you're not looking to expand expand expand.

Comment

Retired at 58. Kids were not interested and went on to do well in life. Best move i ever made. Still have a few sidelines and love to tinker with old stuff. Get my fill of physical farming at haying and harvest running equipment i didnt even dream of in the day for neighbours who really need the help.
                  Still have an acreage and my 17 cows. No cows no farm always was my motto. Cheat a bit though farm them out for winter to neighbour.
                  My only advice is everyone is different but there truly is a life after farming and it can be a real good one if you make it that way.

Comment

My 88 year old father still comes out every day. He walks around, tinkers on things, brings lunch out and drives the one combine some days.

He can show you where all his buddies are that he went to school with. All except one thats still out playing like he does.

So keeping busy and retiring.

Remember its only money that you can't take with you even if there are Credit Unions all over hell.

Comment

for those that love their task. they do not work a day in their life.

Comment

close to 60 now and jumping from one truck to another all day is kinda wearing thin.
                        but after 40 years I am beginning think I finally have farming figured out. hate to quit now.
                        guess I still do not have it figured out completely , I am not sitting in the combine or a supervisor truck

Comment

I try not to think about retirement. After my divorce I need to bring an income till I'm 65. No kids gonna take it. Dad was gone at 68.
                          But every year the list of 'things I wont miss' gets longer. Would make an interesting thread.

Comment

Originally posted by sawfly1 View Post
                            close to 60 now and jumping from one truck to another all day is kinda wearing thin.
                            but after 40 years I am beginning think I finally have farming figured out. hate to quit now.
                            guess I still do not have it figured out completely , I am not sitting in the combine or a supervisor truck
                            That is close for me, everything is just about perfect..so now QUIT? Possessions/comfort/convenience wise, never will figure markets out. Same here, servicing, carting, trucking, drying, busy active but get tired quicker. Lose weight at harvest. Some days just feel like f*ck it, I give up. Wish I had all this shit 20 years ago. Dad let us sons do the thinking, he just enjoyed the driving, still drives out to check at 94. But timing exit however is just dumb luck. Neighbor widow and non farming kids sold out in 2013, 2 million split up, everyone happy, debt free kids, she travels the world. Was the correct decision.

Comment

That's the beauty of farming: you can retire when you want to. And it all depends upon what your personal, family and life objectives are. I talk to a lot of farmers everyday, my generation and older may die behind a wheel, the younger generations, appear to have a more defined idea of life after farming. They have a plan for the block of life after the working time.

Farming is a business and a lifestye, and unlike a job you got to, you live the farm, and so for many it is not something they need to get free from. So from what I see, talking to farmers, living with one, there is not right age, it is what works for you and your farm, and your family... but this I can say guys, from my view, most wives are ready for a change earlier than most farmers...and there is life after the farm.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...