• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rain

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain

Why are some of the weather service forecasts always so extreme when it comes to forecasting rain amounts. Do they think they will use the worst case scenario and be safe, that way they can tell you "I told you so" if it happens?

Looking at radar the last two days it feel we were given a stay in execution with the band of drizzly weather that was tracking the Can/US border. The fact that it stayed south gave us the chance to get off what we wanted before this weekend's weather event.

Boarderbloke, Agchat or anyone else down there, how was it?

There can be days and days or beautiful harvest weather in October. Sometimes used to think there would have been enough time to take off another crop. Like I like farming and all that stress..... NOT!

Take care and harvest and work safely....

T
    Last edited by farmaholic; Sep 22, 2016, 07:49.

We need a rest. Its been a go, all right but nice to see the results of good harvest weather, decent equipment and great growing conditions. I remember harvests in the sixties when the truck driver only had a board on the ground to keep her from backing over the auger. It was pitch black out, with tall grass and holes everywhere. The dinky wooden bins held about 400 bushels and she had to move by herself usually with me, a ten-year old asleep on the seat. Now, remote everything, rows of 60 foot high hopper bins, power augers, man how harvests have changed!

Comment

It's been stop and go here for 4 weeks
      Had 5 days last week but just got going again yesterday
      Today will be the last day again for what looks like a week

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
        Why are some of the weather service forecasts always so extreme when it comes to forecasting rain amounts. Do they think they will use the worst case scenario and be safe, that way they can tell you "I told you so" if it happens?

Looking at radar the last two days it feel we were given a stay in execution with the band of drizzly weather that was tracking the Can/US border. The fact that it stayed south gave us the chance to get off what we wanted before this weekend's weather event.

Boarderbloke, Agchat or anyone else down there, how was it?

There can be days and days or beautiful harvest weather in October. Sometimes used to think there would have been enough time to take off another crop. Like I like farming and all that stress..... NOT!

Take care and harvest and work safely....

T
        Anything from a drizzle to a light spit all day here yesterday. Amounts from .01-.08 of an inch within a twenty mile radius.

Comment

Couldn't go yesterday, periodic light sprinkles all day, never really made anything wet, but was enough to make the standing canola straw tough. Excellent day today, rolling before ten, just getting in now at 3:00am due to some heavier sprinkles, wouldn't really call it a shower, but enough to make the straw tough. Have about 50ac of standing canola left and my flax, sprayed three weeks ago, but could use a -5C' to help day the straw alittle more. Hoping this rain forecasted won't lodge it as it's still standing nice.

Comment

Got here by 7am, unwanted holidays again... need the sleep though, 3 long busy days...4% left.

Comment

First 4 days of OCT not looking good. I would say confidence low, but certainly not great weather for near future.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...