• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What a load of crap.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a load of crap.

http://www.country-guide.ca/2016/09/20/getting-and-keeping-your-farm-on-your-elevators-first-call-list/49536/?module=explore_widget&pgtype=article#_ga=1.131393 27.917419986.1474424233

Canada Grain Act:

Section 55
    55 (1) All elevators in Canada heretofore or hereafter constructed, except elevators referred to in subsection (2) or (3), are and each of them is hereby declared to be a work or works for the general advantage of Canada.

Marginal note:Other works

(1.1) Every flour mill, feed mill, feed warehouse and seed cleaning mill is a work for the general advantage of Canada.

The following provision is not in force.
    Marginal note:Idem

(2) All elevators in the Eastern Division heretofore or hereafter constructed, as defined in paragraph (d) of the definition elevator in section 2, are and each of them is hereby declared to be a work or works for the general advantage of Canada.

The following provision is not in force.
    Marginal note:Idem

(3) All elevators in the Eastern Division heretofore or hereafter constructed, as defined in paragraph (e) of the definition elevator in section 2, are and each of them is hereby declared to be a work or works for the general advantage of Canada

Section 60:
    60 Subject to section 58 and any order made under section 118, the operator of every licensed primary elevator shall, at all reasonable hours on each day on which the elevator is open, without discrimination and in the order in which grain arrives and is lawfully offered at the elevator, receive into the elevator all grain so lawfully offered for which there is, in the elevator, available storage accommodation of the type required by the person by whom the grain is offered.

Good relationships go so far... On the other side when an elevator company says "you need to work with us, we'll work with you also" actually means.... we will take your grain when and if we feel like it, maybe, or not at all... or at any time, and that contract you signed only means you need to honour it."

/end rant for tonight.

Klause have you not read any of my posts in the last 8 yrs. Keep reading the ACT whole lot more that is not being enforced since Mr Ritz got rid of Office of Assistant Commissioners and didn't replace with Grain Farmers Advocacy Office like was suggested in CPC's own Compas review in 2004.

Comment

Agree 100% Klause. Their word means ZERO, and we're have to bend over backwards or face discounts/penalties. I am mild mannered, but if the grain buyer at a local elevator would've phoned me back instead of my dad, he may have had trouble hearing for the rest of the day.

Signed a contract to move some old crop wheat 9 days ago. Only reason we were moving it was to free up some bin space. "Oh yes, I GUARANTEE we'll move it within the next 10 days. Our cars will be here in 3 days." Now its "Maybe in a week or two." "We're taking lentils now instead and can't take wheat at the same time." #@%^(*@&)(@*_)@. I guess now we have to pile grain and handle it again once we move this wheat. Was partway tempted to load our 3 trucks up and put them on the driveway. The games they play and the @sses they kiss. Makes a guy want to load producer cars. LOL

Comment

So just me get this straight.

The buyers need to treat every seller the same regardless of how that easy or hard the seller has been to work with in the past? Do we live behind the iron curtain? The wheat board come back?

This right here is called life people. Wanna raise a bunch of sh/t? Get mad and act unprofessional over grades or dockage but you still think you should be treated the same as all the rest? LOL

What goes around comes around fellas. We all have neighbours that you would never deal with because you don't trust them but when the shoe is on the other foot you expect to be treated the same?

Go look into a mirror brothers

Iceman rant out

Comment

It should be give and take. But being penalized for standing up for yourself when need be, especially when justified, is bullshit.

Remember my saying...as long as you're bent over everything is fine but heaven forbid you stand up.

Sometimes I feel a line needs to be drawn in the sand. I want to be treated with dignity and respect. If you think you can treat me like a fool.....you might not like the outcome. Oh ya...that makes me "hard to deal with".

I don't intentionally misrepresent my grain samples. I don't hand pick samples. When its time to deliver I do everything possible to try to get it there, if Mother Nature throws a curveball... ! I TRY NOT TO MAKE PROMISES I CAN'T KEEP. Delivery dates written into contracts are there for a reason, if I have to honor them (with a bit of leeway) so should they.

Lots of moving parts to co-ordinate to get grain to port.

Comment

Zeefarmer, I suspect that the reason they are bringing in lentils is because higher spot prices are on the way. If you know what I mean.

Comment

I will say this. Between our farm and custom grain hauling, I see and hear enough about managers and grain buyers, both good and bad. At the end of the day, they are trying to manage a business. They are dealing with the railways (big bullies, especially when it comes to when cars get spotted and getting whole orders changed on them IE canola to wheat), and the all loveable farmer. I understand you cannot keep everyone happy. They are usually quite accommodating, and will work with you to get grain in, whether its snowing, raining, muddy or theres lots coming in. Understandably, they will scratch the back of a BTO before they help someone like our farm who is a 1/5, 1/10 or 1/20th the size.

What irks me is I KNOW they have a bin of the same grade of wheat as ours in house. Uncleaned. We are 13 miles from the elevator. The contract is for 6 loads. We have 3 trucks. If we were ready we could have it in in 2 hours. I can understand not wanting to cross contaminate. They hardly handle spring wheat anymore. Total spring wheat acres in our area have gone from around 30% to probably 5% or less in the past 6 years.

All I want is for them to keep their word. I do my best to keep mine, even if a combine has to sit . I WILL NOT doctor samples. I will do everything in my power as a farmer and a custom grain hauler to get contracted grain in when they call for it. Yes, stuff happens. There are a lot of things out of our control. There are ALOT of moving pieces. But without us they don't have a job.

Comment

So iceman... input capital is evil and should be shut down. But elevators they should be allowed to do hoe they please?

It's OK to say a load of peas is 23% dockage when after a regrade with me present its 3%?

It's OK to make contracts for certain months time after time and never take a load on the contract month?

It's OK to turn a "9" on the scale to a "3" on your primary elevator receipt?

You don't need to be an a-hole about it but I believe you don't need to be taken for a fool either.

One thing is guys who misrepresent their grain, try and hide cap in loads, stuff like that.

Another is expecting them to do their jobs properly and with a level of professionalism.

Comment

zee, "getting whole orders changed on them IE canola to wheat"

I thought "those" decisions were at the control of the graincos, not the railways?

Comment

Originally posted by boarderbloke View Post
                    zee, "getting whole orders changed on them IE canola to wheat"

I thought "those" decisions were at the control of the graincos, not the railways?
                    I think we may be both right??? Head office can switch on the local elevator, but from talking with some managers, they make it sound like the railways can switch the order in which their car orders come too. Don't quote me though

Comment

Maybe time someone from grain Co's and CGC came forward and explained the whole system.

Comment

What!? And strip them of their cloaks of secrecy!

Let's divide and conquer them. Actually what is needed is an open and transparent and collaborative approach. Were all parties are treated with dignity and respect. Ya I know, I ran out of medication and am delusional

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_pools_in_Canada

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...