• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Future of Farming... Maybe not organics, but Biologicals for sure.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future of Farming... Maybe not organics, but Biologicals for sure.

With increased public involvement in how we produce food... I think it won't be long and there will be limits on the chemicals we can use, when we can use them, and how much can get used.

A dirt secret all the chem/fert reps/dealers don't want everyone to know is that there are lots of biological alternatives.

I.E.

Humic acid for seed treatment

Fracture from FMC as a fungicide
    Serenade MAX from Bayer is another biological fungicide.

BTK for insect control

There's lots more.

Even our big ag companies are seeing & understanding the changing dynamics and are getting involved, look at who they have been buying out in inoculant companies.

Or have a read of this:
    http://www.research.bayer.com/en/biological-crop-protection.aspx

Agreed its difficult for them to patent life and biologicals but they sure do try. If they can't patent it then they lobby to have it banned.

You mentioned one before thats soil applied helps prevent Sclorentinia in canola whats that one called again. Thx

Comment

Contans for schlerotinia.

Anything biological wont be any cheaper than it's chemical competition/alternative.

Comment

Yes, it's Contans WG... but Serenade can also be applied in crop.

Are they cheaper? Some are, some aren't... however, bilogicals remain active after application.

I.E. with Contans, once its in the soil, you don't need to reapply every time you grow the crop... Like applying Rihzobia with peas, grow them for 3 or 4 rotations, and there's enough Mycorrhiza

Something has to change. Both because of public opinion, and because of what we're doing to our plant cultivars. Look up the Vertifolia effect.

Comment

And of course the French for "organic" is "biologique" - coincidence no?

Comment

How can you say we need to get away from chems while you are out there spraying roundup like a tom cat marking his teratory ? Every living plant gets a dose nowadays as you cant be the BTO without it.

Comment

The only trial results I have seen for Contans was in edible beans and the yield difference versus check (untreated) was negligible. The chemicals that provide return on investment in western Canada are N fertilizer, glyphosate, 2,4 D herbicide and wild oat killer of your choice. Getting consistent positive returns on anything else has been elusive.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...