• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Viterra in Wadena

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Viterra in Wadena

Glencore’s Prairie grain handling arm Viterra plans to boost its throughput capacity in east-central Saskatchewan with a new elevator at Wadena.

Wadena, served by both Canadian National and Canadian Pacific Railways (CN, CP), already has a smaller Viterra elevator on each line. The two former Saskatchewan Wheat Pool elevators have capacity for 5,020 and 4,000 tonnes of grain respectively.

The planned new high-throughput terminal, by comparison, would have storage capacity of 34,000 tonnes and a loop track to load up to 156 rail cars.

Construction on the new terminal is to begin this fall for completion in the fall of 2018, the company said.

Regina-based Viterra didn’t say in its press release Thursday which railway would serve the new terminal, nor did it say what it will do with the two existing elevators.

Wadena, about 140 km northwest of Yorkton, is also already home to a 35,920-tonne capacity high-throughput terminal on CP track.

Grain handler Richardson International, which also has a canola crush plant at Yorkton, has owned and operated the former North East Terminal site at Wadena since 2011.

“We’ve worked closely with farmers in Wadena and surrounding areas for many years, and we’re excited to be renewing our commitment to them through a new world-class grain facility that will meet their needs in today’s competitive operating environment,” Kyle Jeworski, Viterra’s CEO for North America, said in Thursday’s release. — AGCanada.com Network

Just hope they can unload trucks faster than Richardson.

There unload/weigh time is equal to a 8 inch auger.

Comment

With all due respect fj, too bad you're in the "$unset" years of your farming career....get those whipper-snappers home to take over so they can enjoy the terminal's capacity.

Comment

Exactly, I had same thoughts, might never deliver a bushel/tonne....and why should they farm to LOSE money growing grain for SFA? Feed the chain that marks up 100%! Not interested in borrowing millions so far...
        Guaranteed they will have a platform scale, not that overhead SHIT from old NET, due to assholes at Cargill. Pioneer should double the scales up ASAP or will be the losers.

Comment

Fj....re: borrowing millions. I wish I had the current interest rates to borrow money for the expansions we made. We haven't bought land since 2004. The savings from these cheap interest rates seem to have only been capitalized into the inflated price of the land.....and then some! Land has tripled and quadrupled. I'd have to do the math but termed out, we probably more put out at those high prices with cheap interest than had land prices not gone nuts with modest interest rates. Not my problem.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...