• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is hay selling for?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is hay selling for?

Seems to be a big discrepancy between the quantity of hay around Central Ab, and the asking prices I've seen. Does anyone know what hay is actually selling for? Here and south started the year with a record drought, and early hay yields were pitiful, but for the first time in my short existence, they actually started growing in Mid July when it started raining. Late yields were very good, and still young hay, even into September. People who cut early are looking at great second cuts as well. So I don't see any shortage, but the asking prices seem to think it is still 2015.

Still a lot of first cut hay yet to be baled, and cut around here. That has to be a first.

I can see a premium for horse hay with no rain, since I doubt there has been any all year.

I usually sell most of my hay, and cows eat what isn't as marketable, but this year, none of it looks marketable.

Seen anywhere from 50-160......seems decent hay around south of Edmonton ,maybe a shower or two,in the 50-80 range...for a 1200 lb bale.

Comment

When a new round baler sells for north of $50k what do you think a fair price for hay is?

Comment

That's good AF5 - feed all your hay on your place to get your OM levels up, you really cant afford to sell hay.
        Maybe if you got last years extreme hay prices you could as a one off but generally you are just mining fertility and exporting it.
        Could buy lots of good hay here for 4c/lb this year and I see lots of poorer stuff in the 3-3.5c range. Would be worth bale grazing at that. Definitely a year to be getting a feed analysis done as it'll be all over the map.

Comment

Not sure about hay but we have a huge amount of sweet corn for sale if anyone is interested lol

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker View Post
            When a new round baler sells for north of $50k what do you think a fair price for hay is?
            Now that is an interesting way of looking at it. I'm going to try pricing all of my commodities by that logic and see how it goes. I suspect I might not sell any, but at least I'll have new equipment.

Last I checked, the price of hay had more to do with local supply and demand.

The price of a new baler is completely irrelevant to my cost of production, I'm in business to make a profit, not to own shiny new equipment. I paid $850 for the last baler about 8 years ago, but I only put up between 1500 and 3000 bales per year, so it does the job. I presume the folks justifying the cost of the new baler are doing multiple times that many bales per year.

Comment

Furrow, I wish we were closer. I like mine cut off the cob, kernels cooked in real butter and milk, salt and pepper, holy crow, even at midnight, it would be a big hit. OMG, why did you say"corn" - fresh, young, tender, awesome corn?

Comment

Did not think much was selling.

Comment

If the price of a new baler determines hay prices.....I think you have to make it up on volume....and when you get the volume and realize the baler is worn out.....then maybe think about it.

I have made a few bales in the last few years with a 535...pretty simple. The rest is done on shares.

Funny thing is the cows haven't quit eating the ones made with a 535 twine wrapped for the 569 net wrapped. .....they don't run over to taste the new baler bales....
                  Last edited by bucket; Sep 18, 2016, 08:03.

Comment

Disregarding the ludicrous prices of haying machinery, land get used for it's highest purpose. Alfalfa bound for cattle is certainly not any money maker at 3.5 cents per pound. Sick of dealing with miserly cattle farmers, I've worked up every patch of alfalfa I've ever had here. I also notice that most cattle producers still in operation around don't have their own hay fields, they try to buy it all using their own land for canola or wheat. Well in a dry year, ****'em. It's no different than that non-gmo oil guy who posted here. No premium? **** him too. No different either than the cattle guy who asks you to drop the wheat straw from a quarter instead of chopping it. 'What do you mean pay you?' **** him especially.

Comment

Well since you put it that way....I can see your point.

Well said.

Watched the same thing here as well...

I see your point....ignore my last comments....

Comment

It does seem odd for some guys without cattle to have a baler but there were always cattle guys busy ....cough...with other things...

Although there are some smart cattle guys without a baler.....seems it's easier to write a cheque for a couple years supply of hay than going thru the headache writing the cheque for the baler and then having to do the work too.

Comment

Bucket...years ago I went to a course put on by a holistic group and this guy was talking the same thing about selling the baler/haybine and running more animals and just buying the hay... thought it was a little c razy as were are going through 500 round bales of hay per season. I know I have control issues and feel that I have to put the feed up my self to get a good product but after this summer I think I may entertain the thought of just purchasing the feed from outside sources... deep in thought.

Comment

I thought that putting up hay myself was the right way too.

Now I make some and take a share on my hay land.

I can manage it better.

If my kids want to do it eventually the hay land will be there. But it would mean an expansion in cattle. ...just about time....banks are just about done lending for cheaper cattle.. .they like lending on high priced ones...right now it's a 2 for 1 offer on breds or good opens from just 2 years ago.
                            Last edited by bucket; Sep 18, 2016, 10:22.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...