• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWAD next year?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWAD next year?

Thinking about planting some durum next year, but concerned about fuzz. How is everyone making out with their durum this year? Can fuzz be tamed in durum in wet years?

Durum should be at a premium next year....but the disease issue will make me gun shy to sign contracts or even grow it.

There should be some wake up news articles about durum quality in the 2 weeks.

Some elevators have given up the hunt for quality durum and that has been their main cereal shipping for years.

Comment

I tried growing it again. We use to grow about a 1000 acres then the disease issues and excess moisture hit.

This year after one awesome nice dry winter we decided to grow a quarter of Durum again. It had issues from start with seed quality.

But the one note I sprayed twice one fungicide at flag and a week later at head.

Haven't harvested yet but not sure if that even worked.

Comment

Neighbors have told me that I saved money by not spraying.

Quality results much the same.

After 5 percent fuzz ... does it matter.

Then there are the DON tests....even good looking durum has high DON numbers.

Durum is a wreck.

Comment

TOTALLY WEATHER DEPENDENT. If you are in an area that is typically wet/moist. ...think twice about it. Fungicides only claim suppression. I think the CGC understands it's susceptibility to fusarium because it takes .5% to knock it from a one to a two where it only takes .25% to knock spring wheat from a one to a two. (wmoebis? any thoughts on that assumption)

Growing quality durum was a challenge before fusarium showed up in our area! That alone says something.
          Last edited by farmaholic; Sep 16, 2016, 07:16.

Comment

Farmaholic

Maybe the CGC will introduce a bunch more classes of durum ....yeah that will solve the problem.....maybe deregister kyle Avonlee and strongfield into a new class...
            Last edited by bucket; Sep 16, 2016, 07:05.

Comment

Just saying there may be a reason for higher tolerances and pointing out the difference

Wht -- Durum

.25 -- .50 -- #1
              .80 -- .50 -- #2
              1.5 -- 2.0 -- #3
              4.0 -- 2.0 -- Feed(Wht) or #4(durum)
              4.0 -- #5 (durum)
              Looking at the tolerances it seems to swing back and forth between the grades of the two classes as to where the higher and lower tolerances are...

Over 10% each is classified as commercial salvage.

Had a chance to see ours yesterday in a harvest sample. Some isn't bad and some isn't that good I think we will be in trouble also but I will reserve judgement until it's all off.
              Last edited by farmaholic; Sep 16, 2016, 07:27.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                TOTALLY WEATHER DEPENDENT. If you are in an area that is typically wet/moist. ...think twice about it. Fungicides only claim suppression. I think the CGC understands it's susceptibility to fusarium because it takes .4% to knock it from a one to a two where it only takes .25% to knock spring wheat from a one to a two. (wmoebis? any thoughts on that assumption)

Growing quality durum was a challenge before fusarium showed up in our area! That alone says something.
                My understanding would be that it has more to do with milling and baking qualities. Vomi aside, fus infected kernals would not rise in a bread loaf the same as sound kernals, therefore be of less value to the baker, where as semolina does not have to proof the same as wheat flour. So fus is not as big of issue in durum as in milling wheat.

Vomi on the other hand is a mycotoxin and may or may not be present in fus infected kernals.

I'm sure there is more to it but might help you to understand that there is a lot to assessing the quality of raw grain and it's effects on end product.

Comment

I don't have time right now, but where in Canada is the best place to get reliable testing on Durum? Is there consistency in results? If you can grow low fuzz Durum, the seed should be worth a good buck. Fuzz reports coming back in this district are all over the place. Last night at a funeral heard 3.6 and 7 % Fuzz. They seem to think their Durum is not marketable.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                    I don't have time right now, but where in Canada is the best place to get reliable testing on Durum? Is there consistency in results? If you can grow low fuzz Durum, the seed should be worth a good buck. Fuzz reports coming back in this district are all over the place. Last night at a funeral heard 3.6 and 7 % Fuzz. They seem to think their Durum is not marketable.
                    Unless your a cert seed grower you can't sell for seed.

Comment

Ya!
                      You need to mow around the edge of your field to get your fuzz free Durum seed.

Comment

Wiseguy

Enjoy your comments but I think they have issues there too.
                        Last edited by bucket; Sep 16, 2016, 08:28.

Comment

US has same problem. They farm same as we do.

Comment

Start at the CGC or SGS. You pay the bill for grading, not the GrainCo...with the possibility of bias with SGS getting paid by them. Don't be surprised if you don't like what they graded it as... There are times the GrainCos can do better than....

HAVE FUN!

Comment

Has anyone ever spit out a mouthful of pasta after seeing afew black (or white?) specs in the pasta remaining on their plate? Ours is usually smothered in some sort of sauce any way!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...