• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legal advice

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal advice

As harvest rolls along its becoming clearer the returns from this crop will not keep the creditors happy , looks like I will be needing legal advice to help get through this and I am looking for good reprensantaion , this is big and I would really appreciate suggestions on who is good and who to stay away from.
    Thanks in advance
    Safe harvesting on this great day everyone.

Maybe you're in that position because you don't already know the names of a good accountant, lawyer, and tax lawyer.

Where you from?

Comment

This thread give me another blessing to count....

Good Luck, I have no leads to offer.

Talk to the Creditors early if you already haven't, maybe they will be willing to "work something out" with you if you show them you're being proactive and want to deal with the situation.

Comment

I. C. P. has a deal for you. they will make you an offer you cant refuse.

Comment

Below the Belt Tweety......

We were in real rough shape in the early 2000's. My advice would be to talk to all creditors too. You'd be surprised what some banks will do to keep interest payments coming. At that time BMO had us paying interest only for 2.5 years to climb out and basically we had loans for loans. Guess that's basically consolidation. Looking back, I never want to get there again. And now it seems like a life time ago. We've accomplished things I only dreamed of back then. Things can always be worse, good luck. Best way around things is through them.

Comment

Lawyers are like hookers, friendly as long as you have money.
            Like doctors, they specialize in areas for max experience (and billing).
            You have the right to fire them.
            It is your life, your decisions ultimately.
            Daily reminders of above.
            Be careful of the law of diminishing returns.

Comment

Sorry to hear this there may be a help if you had not heard of this
              http://www.agr.gc.ca/eng/?id=1279223072999 its the farm debt
              mediation board.

Pretty sure they came looking for help not to get talked down to.
              Last edited by mcfarms; Sep 15, 2016, 09:16.

Comment

Tweety, aka WD9, aka Andy K, aka Asshole

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarms View Post
                  Sorry to hear this there may be a help if you had not heard of this
                  http://www.agr.gc.ca/eng/?id=1279223072999 its the farm debt
                  mediation board.

Pretty sure they came looking for help not to get talked down to.
                  Agreed.
                  If you are genuinely in financial trouble the farm debt mediation board will give you the best cost effective direction.
                  Best of luck.

Comment

You seem to be an arrogant ass at times tweety - wow
                    Things are not always black and white - everyone has situations once in a while

Comment

Good operations can fall into tough times but I have to wonder are you one of the guys bidding up land rent and buying every quarter you can get your hands on so the neighbours can't have it?

Comment

Please pardon my ignorance on the subject. But what role does the lawyer play when this happens? If your intention is to dig yourself out of the hole, then I would think that bringing in an adversarial lawyer would only make matters worse. Or does a lawyer only come into play once it is beyond that point, and the attempt is to salvage as much as possible from the ruins? I is the assumption that a third party(bank perhaps) has caused the problem and a lawyer is needed to sort it out?

Comment

Without knowing all the facts I would suggest 1st determining what you see as a viable solution. Update your balance sheet and sit down with your main creditor. If you are not comfortable with numbers then a good consultant could assist you... Good ones are hard to find and a reasonable fee to me wouldbe $750 or less if you supply all information.

Do not fall for $10000 fee crap...

If you are genuine and looking for some legal advice and workable solutions I would call Layh Law Office in Langbrouge, SK.

Comment

We were asked to find a new bank by October 30th, I've applied to quite a few and none are willing to take us on so I'm trying to be prepared , no experience n this sort of thing and not really the trusting type I think some second opinions before I get lead down the wrong road.
                            I'd love to meet tweety someplace, keyboard warrior . Your mama must be proud

Comment

I don't have any names to give other than to say I feel your pain. We went through a very difficult series of events from 99-05. Which culminated in is getting out of grain and doing a large cattle expansion in late 02, just 6 months prior to BSE. It is stressful and sometimes there are no answers. We ended up selling some land to survive. Things have gone very well since about 09 but I'll never forgot the feeling of being very close to losing everything. As has been mentioned talk to your creditors, check with debt review board, they may have some options that surprise you.

Finally and I don't mean to give unsolicited advice but don't take out the frustration of the situation on your loved ones. It is so easy to take things out on them when everything is going wrong. Hope things work out for you.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...