• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you guys going to change crop mix in 2017

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you guys going to change crop mix in 2017

Always pondering currently 70% cereals wheat barley and oats for hay.

Balance peas lupins canola chickpeas lentils

Our harsh aussie environment dicates the fact that legumes and oil seeds are deemed higher risk than cereals.

Currently blessed with good wet year and cool spring which is unusual today 15c same day last year 33 and hot dry wind.

Our mix may not change except more hay in cereal acres as the export market for hay is booming $200 per tonne.

Maybe a increase in canola acres.

Possibly poor management waiting for production issues somewere in the world in the hope of better prices.

Switch it up to what? Canadian Producers already grow quite a diverse rotation of crops. Heck, this year lentils were grown way out of the traditional areas (not that all the traditional areas had luck with them either). But seriously, other than a bit of acre swapping.... some crops in Canada are small niche markets that can quickly get over produced driving down the price.

I guess there is too much grain and not enough people with money to buy it and have to go to bed hungry. .....but it seems you can always empty the bins if you want to, and some people still go to bed hungry!

Time to do less for more?

Comment

Two crops looks like right now.

1/2 Wheat

1/2 Canola

F$%K$J Malt barley

OATS

PEAS

ETC

Comment

It is early in the market season here. Buyers will have their way with those who need the money. A lot can happen in one year. I see even more canola and lentils being planted for cash flow purposes. Labourers, Modern machinery, and inputs have to be paid. Then the farmer needs a little walking around money.
        In my years farming, the pattern I observe is to be a very efficient large volume producer and hope the weather cooperates.There was about 3 years of profitable prices to encourage a younger generation to invest heavily. They are much sharper than I. I note by the (most often genuine) AV posts Nothing has really changed, same old tune fiddle and guitar.

Comment

Lets compare grain prices throughout the year to getting a hamburger at a restaurant anytime during the day..... does the hamburger cost more at lunch and supper/dinner time than any other time during the day? Those two times of the day are the times the burger would be at peak demand, but do you pay more for it at lunch than at three thirty in the afternoon?

So why is grain cheaper to buy at harvest time? Why is the "low hanging fruit" cheaper than the "harder to get fruit"?

Ya I know, I'm comparing grain to hamburgers. ...like apples to oranges.....but they're both fruit!!!!

The world may be awash in wheat. ...but what "quality" wheat?
          $5.50 a bushel? I'd say there is a dollar left on the table for decent quality at those prices. Can't wait to offer the Restaurateur less for his hamburger during off peak demand!
          Last edited by farmaholic; Sep 13, 2016, 22:17.

Comment

....now I get it! It just dawned on me harvest is like happy hour at the bar.....for the Grain Cos.

Comment

Been doing 1/2 wheat ..1/2 canola for a few yrs..No money in wheat..

Comment

Wheat.....the "summerfallow" of continuous cropping.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                  Roger that

Iceman over & out

Comment

SF3, I assume you are having issues with your malt barley crop and tired of the challenge of peas. You could always replace both those with durum and lentils....lol.

See what I mean, there are only so many VIABLE options. So many non traditional options that aren't real good huge acre crop options because of risk, buckwheat, sunflowers, hemp, corriander, caraway, fababeans.... some of which are small acre niche crops. Then there is the high volume low value stuff like feed barley and oats...crops that will wear the trucks out for little reward. Flax....?

Tie some dirt up in grass? Used to be a pile of dairy farms in our area that could use good quality forage, not anymore. And way fewer beef guys around now too. Hay/grass seed production, for who when there are fewer cattlemen around? Hay for the export market?

Put more flax and soybeans in next year SF3.
                    Last edited by farmaholic; Sep 14, 2016, 06:47.

Comment

2017 will be an interesting year to see what farmers will grow. Pulses were big this yr, but how many farmers will expand acres? My guess is there will be a big decline!! Root rot took a toll on a lot of acres, and lives in the ground for yrs. Another wet yr in 17 would prove catastrophic for lentils once again. Not sure if producers are will to take that chance. The non traditional guys will likely get out of lentils after a one yr trial. Prices will determine acres but I leaning on the down side.
                      Fuzz levels in durum are growing every year to the point where it's not salvageable. That's scarey!! Durum has been our back bone next to lentils, now both are at risk. Actually peas turned out exceptional this yr!! Interesting times ahead in ag, how many will step out and rent/buy land this winter?
                      Canola inputs are going up and with a large soybean crop coming it will put a cap on the canola market.

Comment

Don't you just love when everyone chases last year's falling star!!!! Look out flax and green peas.

Comment

I agree on lots of the points.

Wheat is SMF for Continuous cropping.

This year a 60 at 6 pays some bills.

But Playing around with lentils or peas with disease or Corn or Soy in Flood zone its time to get back to basics.

Roll dice and hope for drought to finally straiten this shit show out.

Time will tell but funny thing about floods were putting straw back on the hills as yields on higher ground are insane and nice flat good deep black dirt is the shits.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                            LOL!!! Thats pretty awesome ! So many wheat acres are just a clean up exercise For canloa the next year.

Comment

More flax?
                              I don't think bids under 12 are going to get anyone excited. Right now bids are under 11.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...