• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brrr...First frost 2016

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brrr...First frost 2016

Yikes, cool out there.

I dont think it will hurt many crops, will be interesting to see how the Soybeans take this.

I guess it is right on schedule. Normal lows are 4C and if you look at the past few years of historical weather, it is almost to the day when we typically record our first frost in Regina.

Praying for more summer weather ahead!

Sort of looks like clouds moving in. Temp went up 1 degree since midnight.

Comment

Hmmm what day is it , the 12th , said nothing will change till after Sept 12 , about 10 days ago
      I hope it changes for us all

Comment

Not going to matter anywhere here , or unexpected for Sept 12 but a full moon be -5 or -6 right now , not 0

Comment

Missed it.
          Looks like a nice 7 days coming up. Disturbance forecast for overnight Tuesday/Wednesday next week.
          Although there is something for the SE area of SK and S MB this Thurs.
          Last edited by farming101; Sep 13, 2016, 06:16.

Comment

According to our Davis weather station it only fell to plus 1º C at 2:45 a.m. if it did freeze it would be light and not near as bad as the minus four they were forecasting at one time.

101...how many days will we need to be able to harvest "dry" grain before the next disturbance? Good luck everyone. Be safe!

Comment

Clouds stuck around long enough to keep us above the freezing mark.

Comment

Stayed at 3 till 3am, then heat wave came in and hit 4, where it is now. Very thankful!!!

Comment

Farma, I don't know.

A few things that may help get things going sooner than later:
                  • Missed any significant rain the last few days.
                  • The last couple cool days while not great for drying were not as bad as ome might think. Cold air holds way less water.
                  • Humidity levels are forecast to be favorable, unlike the last run of warm days that were stubbornly high.

We'll check canola this afternoon to see where it's at. The next field has been swathed nearly 3 weeks.
                  I'm hoping for us standing cereals should be close Wednesday afternoon. Swathed stuff Thursday aft.

Always hoping....

Comment

Last significant rain here was about a week ago. About 4 tenths but it just as well could have been an inch, it would have been wet to the same degree. Just been drizzly off and on since then so net drying has been poor. The humidity hasn't been insanely bad here the last two mornings, that is what we need, a dry air mass to help out. BUT we checked the straw on some swathed cereals the other day and it wasn't even horrible but the grain wasn't hard either. The bonus here is we aren't saturated to start with so the ground could take a bit of moisture without making mud. Maybe the canola will go through the combine easier now... get some of that straw broken down a bit. Lots of material to push through the old beast.

Be safe everyone, its not that late yet.
                    Last edited by farmaholic; Sep 13, 2016, 07:30.

Comment

It's not late but green holidays start Oct 2. My mother says that harvest should be done by then, so if we start tomorrow, the 14 th, and we can keep moving, we may hit the target🌞🍀

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                        Last significant rain here was about a week ago. About 4 tenths but it just as well could have been an inch, it would have been wet to the same degree. Just been drizzly off and on since then so net drying has been poor. The humidity hasn't been insanely bad here the last two mornings, that is what we need, a dry air mass to help out. BUT we checked the straw on some swathed cereals the other day and it wasn't even horrible but the grain wasn't hard either. The bonus here is we aren't saturated to start with so the ground could take a bit of moisture without making mud. Maybe the canola will go through the combine easier now... get some of that straw broken down a bit. Lots of material to push through the old beast.

Be safe everyone, its not that late yet.
                        Was it really lodged so you had to cut low? Driving around those big swaths are 2/3 stem. Why not just cut under the pods?

Comment

No ice on water but roofs and grass white here. Started about 1030 last night.

Comment

Tweety...the stubble is fairly high...higher than normal and the crop was standing up well....just a good crop with losts of material....better problem than last year(for us). Oh woe is me.....lol

My name isn't Florian.
                            Last edited by farmaholic; Sep 13, 2016, 08:03.

Comment

Never froze here either, cloudy all night.

Couldn't have froze anyway, moon is not full.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...