• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5932.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	777310

Well here we go again, another week has come and gone and wow one day or two to harvest then the rain hits and we sit. Ok there is always other work to do but it gets tired. Close to a inch up to last night for the week. Its wet ugly and cold.

Project this week is order propane and clean out dryer and augers and change or fix what needs to be fixed. We were able to go on Saturday then on Sunday because we have a continuous dryer.

Yesterday and day before it was swath in the rain. Fun times on the farm. Fun times.

Name:	IMG_5956.jpg
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	777312

This week most are caught up and waiting for a nice stretch to actually get harvest under way.

HRS most is desiccated or just going to be in the area. Few have swaths down or swath and combined the next few days if could. Grades are coming off before the rain as a 2 13 would be the average. No one gets a one going locally in our area. Its just a local terminal thing.
    wheat harvest will crank up fast if it drys out as guys will take the wheat and then let the canola cure some more before getting going on it.
    Yields are great where the crop is not flooded. Yields are piss poor in flooded areas so basically for our area its a Average HRS crop.

Peas most are wrapped up in area only few fields that were swath and now have issues. Yield was same as wheat. Where it was nice it was really nice where it was flooded it was really ugly. So a average.

Lentils in area most are done similar only a few had top yields most had very poor and like I said in the winter when every one was so gungho about seeding acres and ares of lentils the grade factor will come in yes you contracted a nice two for such a high price but now its a 3 but maybe we can make it a extra three and here is your new price. Deer in headlights look and you take it and go home.

Durum not much in area and it is yielding great but grade is going to be a problem.

Barley most are done and now playing the waiting game. No soup for you like the episode on TV. Yields were awesome.

Oats few have started to spray to dry down and no one has started to swath yet some fields still green.

Corn looks great again in our area.

Name:	IMG_5948.jpg
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	777313

Soy is starting to drop leaf and colour change. Where its good might be really good where bad its bad. Nice crop that might make it in a week or two to go.

Flax you either have clean and great or flooded and dirty. its that simple.

Canola most are done swathing or just finishing. Were down to three left and then its park the swathers for the year. Funny how a single canola plant can bush out so far to fill in spaces. But flooded shit from spring to fall can't make a single fracking plant. Canola experiment of Pioneer RR on L140 stubble to straiten out rotations looks really good. ITs nice and tall it didn't go flat and funny where I looped into other quarter and direct seeded to thick oats stubble that wasn't burnt it is flat as a pancake. You can see the line. Perfect to flat. Funny. Lots of guys in area with strait cut L140 have issues with flat twisted canola. Strait cut boys have a new issue since were so wet any one who desiccated over two weeks ago and might of not got penetration or what ever reason now have green cleavers coming again in crop. Some are wondering why the thought of selling the swather was so appealing last winter. When we use to strait cut it was 2.5 mph vs 5 or more with big machines. Its a time management in our area. Time will tell but this is one farmer who is keeping the swather companies in business.
    No one really got into harvest of canola so yields are a unknown.

Pastures are down a bit as grass is growing slower and livestock is starting to get ahead. Counted 60 0n a quarter all summer since June and they will probably stay till late October. Most are done haying just a little second cut.

So overall we are at about 25% complete for harvest 2016. Yields would of been the best ever except for flooding taking huge acres in fields. So over all its a average crop. Grades are biggest concern.

Have a great week if you can harvest enjoy. If your dealing with Mud persevere, it might end some year.
    But remember the ones at home are way more important than any crop that the grain companies and all other will try to take and get there share from you.

Share your story for your area and surroundings.

I forgot some fall work has started. Some minor harrow and minor ripping has started. Canola on worked ground seems to have done a better job. Canola seeded with Bourgs have issues in mud where the Seedhawk and seed masters seem to have better survival rates. To much packing not sure we used limp mode around most sloughs.

Comment

Rained enough yesterday to put us full stop till next week when you look at the forecast. Moisture on tap for tonight, Friday night and Sunday.

Canola started coming off (a little too early for my liking, going to have to watch it like a hawk)

Name:	Canola bins.jpg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	765076

Wheat standing or being swathed with the odd field harvested or in the process
      Fusarium is going to be an issue depending on variety and type

Name:	High test.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	765077

Most around here went on barley and it is more or less done. Quite a bit seems to be making the malt grade for now. I can see lots of bin sampling till the check is in the bank.

Name:	Premium pilsner.jpg
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	765078

At about one third done. I would think that is the area average as well.
      Actually closer to Saskatoon there would likely be more than that done. Combines were seen going yesterday by Elstow. Missed the showers.
      Last edited by farming101; Sep 8, 2016, 07:29.

Comment

1.5 inches of rain yesterday. Lots of soaking swaths. Forecast sucks.

Bought more ewes and a beauty of a ram yesterday. One step closer.

Comment

Wheat done, canola was dry after 18 days in swath...rained out 7/10" about 40% in area...Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	765079Click image for larger version

Name:	024.jpg
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	765080
          Looks great, but empty heads= 45 ish I disagree, wheat does NOT like too much water= STRAW only
          Last edited by fjlip; Sep 8, 2016, 20:26.

Comment

peas finished, good average . barley finished , piss poor won't pay half its bills unless malt fairy comes. wheat finished , surprisingly good , yielded same as barley, some #1 and some #2 all off dry except 2 loads of wheat . wheat is an amazing crop when conditions are wet . 28% done here . canola will go fast , lots missing . flax and canary sprayed and borage and canola all swathed . red clover and seed alfalfa looks like it needs another month frost free . inch and 2 tenths yesterday , ditches running again . done here for a few days

Comment

oh and oats are dessicated also. wonder if flamans are still excited on radio ads about RECORD CROP.

Comment

Case that is funny!

Comment

Peas in. This year a good lesson on where and where not to seed them. Below avg yield.
                  Bly in. 16-17 M. Blowing and turning. Straw was still green.
                  Nothing else close. Need a total change in weather pattern. Sitting till then.

Comment

Got 8/1oths of rain.harvest 53%done on our farm..Wheat average was 46 b/a.on total seeded acres.lots of flat areas with little yield.grades from 3 to feed because of fuzz.

Canola so far is 39 b/a..hauled to terminal so it's acurate..also poor areas drowned zeroes. Again seeded acres..not guessing on missing acres.

Comment

We got an inch of rain in the last 2 shots. Gumbo roads to Canola fields are just beeeuutiful. Have you ever tried cutting Canola under water? It's a blast too! Anyway, standing durum is enjoying daily showers and Canola is 2/3 done swathing, then it will take awhile to "cure". Hope its ready to combine before the snow flies. Alls well in Wascana. 😃 We about 1/3 done now. Those lentils were brutal.

Comment

"Have you ever tried cutting Canola under water?"
                        I have in muddy fields ruts, through water in low spots, in the RAIN, all fun. Takes a good swather... in black soil, not gumbo though.

Comment

Here in Central Alberta every 3rd day rain. Still trying to finish peas. Fields getting softer. Can't travel with the truck. Pea yields a little lower than last year. 60 last year about 56 this year. Lots of canola being swathed, anywhere from average to pretty good, won't know until combined. Wheat is desicated. Malt barley past ready to swath, no point too wet and I am sure sprouted standing. Wheat and barley look good but won't yield as good as last year. I grew all penhold CPS wheat hope it yields better than it looks. Some guys still cutting first cut hay, mine is ready to cut second cut again to f#*king wet. Lots of grass for the cows they are loving it.

To sum up guys with dryers are going those of us without are sitting. Seen lots of wet Septembers the difference between now and when I was a kid it is left standing not swathed certainly helps. Our moto this year is keep family close and the tow strap closer lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                            Here in Central Alberta every 3rd day rain.
                            We seem to get rain everyday instead, I'll trade for every third. There is still a lot of first cut hay to be cut around here. Neighbor finally burnt his hay swaths in disgust the other day. I have a few acres that is probably fit for the same treatment but has never been dry enough to burn in the past 40 days since I cut it. I doubt there is any hay in this part of the world baled dry and without rain, most likely rained on and baled tough.

Some canola is being swathed locally. Some peas combined, some barley combined. Lots of patches remain, too wet, or too green.

I haven't turned a wheel. Canola is still not near ready for a frost, but we've had some light frosts already. Great white combine took a lot of my barley acres recently, but at the price of barley, it didn't hurt so bad. All crops are nearly horizontal from all the storms. Canola is random 6 foot teepees, the rest is waves only a couple feet high, all in random directions, should be fun. Installing plastic under every inch of the combine headers for playing in the mud. Would be too wet to get through fields right now even if the sun shone.

Comment

I heard central to north Alberta not having much done and very wet.
                              This harvest is going to be a battle for some
                              Hopefully October is good

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...