• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Malt Barley

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Malt Barley

Have to wonder where all the demand for this year's crop is coming from and whether it will continue into next year.
    Premium over feed is highest I can remember and think if it lasts it will attract more acres for 2017 taking ground from wheat.
    Local elevator has backed off a bit on price this last week but supposed to start taking delivery of new crop this week.

I literally deleted my "unposted" comments before I hit submit. I don't have malt barley but do I ever have an opinion on how the delivery should be managed!

Comment

Originally posted by Hopalong View Post
      Have to wonder where all the demand for this year's crop is coming from and whether it will continue into next year.
      Premium over feed is highest I can remember and think if it lasts it will attract more acres for 2017 taking ground from wheat.
      Local elevator has backed off a bit on price this last week but supposed to start taking delivery of new crop this week.
      Prices will be high until they see what is out there and then they can pick and choose right up until, or even after, it is delivered. If lots of good stuff they will lower price then reject high priced samples. For what ever reason.

Comment

I'm hearing most samples are being rejected here because of too high vomi. Chatting is an issue out west as well.

Comment

Ouch wmoebis..... talk like that will get you...

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
            Ouch wmoebis..... talk like that will get you...
            All I'm saying is it is up to farmer to maintain quality and can be rejected anytime. No third party intervention.

Comment

How is it and why should it be the Producer's responsibility to ensure the quality is maintained? After it is accepted the onus should be on the contracting party to make sure the quality is maintained. ...the fact that the barley is in the farmers possession shouldn't matter. They should send someone out to monitor it and turn the barley if it needs to be. Maybe the barley should be paid for in full upon acceptance....then whose problem is it if it goes out of condition? Hard to believe we've let ourselves get into this position. That's right no-one wants to assume any risk so they pass it on to those who have no one to pass it on to themselves....amazing!

Comment

Somebody call the whaa-ambulance.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                  Somebody call the whaa-ambulance.
                  Thank you, it just got here! Didn't think I was going to make it!

Comment

Might be good business for our farm to discourage others from growing malt by agreeing on trials and troubles with buyers but fact is in over forty years we have had no serious difficulties.
                    Have to accept that some years it is not good malt quality because of low germination, protein level, vomitoxin, etc.
                    We accept risk if there is enough price premium in good years.
                    One worry is lower price of feed barley versus other feed grains but maybe that will work in our favour by discouraging other potential growers.
                    Answer to original question seems to be supply shortage rather than increased demand.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...