• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bayer maybe you can't get any more out of us!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If that canola would of stood for another week or two there would be nothing in it.

Also if you don't sacrifice yield on early field or two you never will get them all swath in time. Most of the seed had colour change it was ready to go. Yielded kind of really really nice. So I guess Tweet I hit the field right.

Now since thats out of the way this thread is about seed costs and what one company is doing.

Sit there like tweet and tell them its ok I had 50 canola at 10 so 500 a acre minus costs i made a little and I'm happy.

or 80 barley but it went malt so i made a little.

or hrs at 50 so I made a little.

Peas at 50 at 9 I made a little.

Thats what you probably tell your rep so they think hell he is making a little lets tell our boss and we can make a lot.

Seed is getting out of hand and that is the gist of this thread.

Were getting screwed as primary producers and sooner or later there won't be anything left for us.

That day is getting so close its not even funny.

Agrium and potash. Yea like thats helping us farmers out.

Ever wonder why suicide is so high in India among farmers.

Its because at the end of the day they don't get paid enough to cover the costs and find the only way out is ending it.

Its so close to happening here its not even funny.

Yes this year yield will make up for shitty price but your hauling twice the produce for pennies. You have extra man power diesel breakdowns etc.

I guess you don't see it that way just like to challenge.

Just tell us if you figure the seed costs are great shitty or awful tweety just tell us we all want to know.

Comment

Any comments on this thread furrow? Come on, you must have an opinion. Lol. poke-poke.

Comment

Originally posted by bgmb View Post
        You want reps dropping in on your farm a couple times a year?????? What a waste of time. I very seldom have a rep visit my farm just pick up the phone if I happen to need one.
        Not saying I need the rep to stop by, or have time to entertain them, but it is a good chance to offer feedback, and ask questions. And as a bonus, I did put him to work chasing cows the one time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
          Last year I payed 505 a bag for L 241-C. If I understand correctly Bayer is going to raise my seed cost 20% or 100 dollars a bag. My only thought is that I have heard good things about Canterra 1990 and CS2000. This is a Canadian company it might be a good time to switch. I like Invigor canola but sometimes enough is enough.
          I've grown 1990, and have some in this year, it's a very strong variety. Has very long pods and is nice to put through combine. Had it beside 252 two yrs ago and out yielded it by 4 bu. Have 10 ac of the new CS 2000 beside 1990, not combined yet.

Comment

Who are these "reps" that stop in? I have never had anyone stop at my farm for anything in 25 years.

I love the arrogance and how I don't matter. lol

Comment

My opinion not far off most of you , remember I am a farmer first - always will be
              Bayer started the shit show years ago , looks like they are going to finish it .
              Although I don't like how far canola seed has gone up , there are traits like club root and sclero resistant that have helped canola yields stabilize in areas (ie Alberta) that have pushed canola rotations to far
              Also strait cut genetics are proving there weight in liberty and RR .
              That does not come cheap and takes years to develop .
              Again , I agree it has gone too far - but canola breeding is not cheap
              And like a few here have pointed out , there are cheaper alternatives if you don't not need or think the new traits are warranted . Seed treatment alone is worth 2 - 3 times more than the seed was worth when I started 20 years ago . That's anouther issue in all crops
              Everyone is digging too deep into our pockets and it's going to backfire
              This thread proves the point

Comment

Try not too shoot on the reps , they do not set seed prices and have to follow , within tolerance , limits set by up top . I know I do far more infield work than any Bayer , Dekalb or Canterra rep combined - hands down in thi area.
                There are a lot of days when we are busy seeding , spraying , hauling grain or what ever that I have to deal with seed business and 20 hrs a day don't cover it
                Try to find a Bayer or Dekalb rep on a Sunday ..... We are avail 20 hrs a day
                May not justify the high end of cost of seed but there is way more too it than some think
                Oh yeah , I have a wife and three young kids that are extreemly busy and involved in many things that I try to catch I between things while supplying seed to anyone who needs it even Sunday night at 10 pm just so they can get done that last 15 AC .... Done that more than once
                There are days when I could make more as a Wal Mart greeter - but I love what I do
                Most don't give a shit and run for the door at 4:55

Comment

Next time you go buy canola seed ask the retailer - who ever it is , are they willing to be there on a long weekend on a Sunday night at 10 pm if I run out of seed ? Are they willing to meet you in the field at 5:30 am to get you that last 5 bags you need ?
                  That's what I expect from paying a lot for anything on my farm - and if I get a blank look wether it be from a seed dealer or machinery dealer or whoever in Ag business - they do not fit on my farm .
                  Ag business should not be a one way street - the more we pay for stuff , inputs or iron the more we have to demand .
                  I get so pissed off by some of these clowns pushing canola on farmers in July and August - where are they at seeding time when you really need them - gone home . Where are there when your canola freezes hard and you need a second set of eyes on a weekend or Saturday morning ??? They may call you back Monday and maybe be out by Wednesday - well that's too late . But those same guys are pestering farmers at early harvest just to get sales numbers for their bosses . They don't give a shit if you have a frost or flea beattles or if you run out of seed on a long weekend .
                  There is much more to "canola seed sales " but 80% could care less , they just want sales numbers early .
                  Ask yourself those questions the next time you go buy canola seed .
                  Also ask the line companies if they want your seed business at this time of year maybe try not screwing us so hard on canola basis .
                  There Farma - you poked and I had finally had time to reply lol
                  I was busy helping the kids pick and sell their sweet corn and trying to find wheat dry enough to combine the past three days , oh and run around and do canola weighs for customers

Comment

Good comments Furrow.

Yea the line companies want all the grave close the doors at 5 of 7 and don't open till 8 your day is shot. But its easy cash for them.

I have a good Bayer rep that I am in contact with and they are just marching to head offices beat.

Now my Pioneer rep is similar to you Furrow. He would deliver a bag if i needed it at midnight.

That says something on our farm.

But the reality is our margins are getting squeezed to point of no return. Farming where the Boom lasted a whole three years.

A reset in AG is needed but won't happen.

Farming would be kind of more fun if they would just try to give us a little more than a penny for our hard work.

Comment

Where the price of seed is going, it's costing so much that they are going to have to start seeding it for me at that price too.

....since you brought up service furrow!

Comment

Lol , ya wish I could control that
                        Funny but we do supply a corn planter to those who buy corn seed from us so you not too far fetched
                        But corn seed is closer $100 / AC , and a fact - we make less on corn than canola , and we have to sell a lot of canola to make it even worth while . Plus all the meeting and paperwork and and and

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...