• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hail Adjusting

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hail Adjusting

I spoke to a farmer a few days ago who had his lentils hailed out beginning of July, he had insurance with a common line company. I asked him how he made out. He said the adjuster deferred. What the _____ is that? I mentioned that to a rep that I know from another company. He said they don't have any idea how to adjust lentils and that is why they don't insure chickpeas anymore. I said, "but you know how to accept the premium?". What a crock! I told him, "that's why people won't insure with certain companies." Where's the government and the pulse board?

Same with canola at before early flower , they are so worried about "it may come back" so they deffer
    Who cares if it comes back to be an average crop ? That's only by luck of Mother Nature it don't freeze to shit cause it just lost 10 day maturity . What if it grows back well then gets froze right off ? Then it's ok ? What a crock .
    If it's 50 to 75% damage from hail , you should get paid . They are so Fukin worried the farmer will still get a decent crop after words - why does that matter to them ? Hail damage is Fukin hail damage regardless if it grows back to make a decent crop . There is an equal chance it will freeze or get completely diseased out if it stays wet but that's ok ? What a bunch of B/S .
    Damage is damage
    I told the guy this year , if you get hail damage on you truck , does SGI deffer it so 4 weeks later the dents may come out ?
    He just looked at me with wide eyes

Comment

An adjuster explained the hail insurance market share to me this summer while hail adjusting.

Municipal (SMHI, Additional, Prairie) 50%
      Co-op Hail 25%
      All others (Butler Buyers, Henderson, Rain and Hail, McQueens, etc) 25%

Comment

I'd assume the employees all have briefly studied all insured crops during their training but don't get great at it until they put the time in on the job.
        We found in the past that there was total chaos when we put in a claim for yellow clover among other crops and they called in the storm boss. They ended up asking if we were okay with 15% since they were unsure.

We had one quarter deferred this year by Co-op Hail, they said it was 10% damage but deferred to see if more damage would appear in next month. Oddly enough another hail storm came and we ended up with 30% damage. 😂

Comment

It's BS, plain and simple. What's the use of insuring if they don't cover damage? Court is the place to get these issues resolved. Agrologists and court!

Comment

Co-op Hail deferred our lentils. Storm on July 4, lentils were in flower, they were out to adjust on July 25, then returned August 17 to adjust the deferred lentils.
            They did a pod count, which seemed to work okay. We were satisfied with the adjustment.
            I can see, that it would be difficult to assess damage early. It would be interesting to do a comparison between an early adjustment and a deferred adjustment on the same field.

Comment

How do you measure the actual damage of the crop being pounded to the ground, and a wet canopy that doesn't want to dry out after they are laying down due to the heavy rain and wind that accompanies a hail storm. The disease, etc etc....

Comment

Got hail in 2015 in June.They said too early for hail.Crop was all sprayed.Got beat down and came back thinner weedy and more disease.and they claimed the hail never hurt crop.

Comment

Originally posted by newguy View Post
                  Got hail in 2015 in June.They said too early for hail.Crop was all sprayed.Got beat down and came back thinner weedy and more disease.and they claimed the hail never hurt crop.
                  Exactly why hail premiums are a waste of money.

We had same experience several times. Enough is enough no more haul insurance here.
                  We had a fair bit of hail this year and am still glad we didn't bother with that bs hail insurance.
                  Talked to several neighbors who had quite bad hail damage and they got 30-35% and were told by adjusters that it was mostly wind damage. What a crock!!!

Comment

They get away with that BS cause we are wusses. There should be adjusting standards set just like the Grain Commission. Damage is damage! Like some one said before if you got damage on an old carversus a new one, think SGI says, " no pay cause maybe there's a little rust on that fender".

Comment

I sleep a lot better since quitting hail insurance years ago.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...