• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cell service, MB, AB?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cell service, MB, AB?

Are there terrible holes and areas with zero cell service in rural manitoba and alberta?

What do you pay for a basic landline service? Cell plans?

With the sask tel thread, I thought I would out and start a new one with these questions. I do know my friend who goes to Honduras in winter, states that he can be fa out in the jungle, in a MOUNTAINOUS, third world country, and have full bars.

And then here in flat Sask, we have no service? Meanwhile Sasktel brags up their service options, while we don't even have basic service in the first place.

I can see the tower 5 miles away, NO obstructions, 3 bars, slow at times WTF? Internet is variable... Soon everyone in India will have a cell, heard like $5/ month.

Comment

Manitoba... you're 5 miles from Altona south of Winnipeg and have no cell service. Big dead spots on hwy 1 and 16.

Never mind where we farmed. Could see the tower but 1 bar I'd that... go east 10 miles no service north of us a 50 mile dead stretch till you got to swan river.

Alberta... cell service everywhere. Fast. Reliable. Service right up to the NWT border in the middle of the bush.

Here in SK... way better than MB not as good as AB. Fusion is nice. Usually pretty fast. Humboldt tower gets overloaded from time to time our fusion runs off of annaheim tower.

Very little if any dead spots.

Comment

Been with Rogers cell phone in both AB and MB, reception and coverage area/blind spots about the same in my experience.

NetSet wireless internet out of Brandon far superior to anything we were able to get in the HWY 2 corridor of central AB. We get about 10 times the download speed here at maybe twice the price.

Comment

3.5 miles from our local tower.All our out going calls go on this tower but most incoming calls are off two towers that are 35 miles away, so they are lohd distance. Can not get Sasktel to return my call to find out why this is happening.

Comment

All I do is text. I buy minutes, because there is no point in trying to use it as a phone. It is cheap this way, 50 bucks lasts me a few months. So I have a flip phone. Sounds like I will soon be out of luck, and be forced to buy a smart phone. Wife has a smart phone, no plan tho, because her service is as bad or worse than my phone. Every day, I try to text, over and over again, and eventually it goes. Then I will get a text back, hours, and even often two days later. Not real handy. If I go a few miles south, service is doable, but still poor.

I simply fail to see how third world, mountainous, jungle countries, can have perfect service no matter where you go, yet here we have no where near good service, let alone any. what the limitation is is beyond me???

Thanks for the responses so far.

I am under no delusion that if sk tel is sold, that that will somehow help our service. But it simply can not get worse, so I could care less what happens. As sk3 said, if we have no debt payments, can you imagine the interest savings? Would be far and away more valuable than a failed service provider, kicking in a few million here and there.

Comment

4GB data. Unlimited nationwide, unlimited messages plus device payments. 1 phone. $105 + gst.
              People are dropping their landlines.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                4GB data. Unlimited nationwide, unlimited messages plus device payments. 1 phone. $105 + gst.
                People are dropping their landlines.
                Which company?

Comment

Sask tel towers are simply over loaded - the data stream required far exceeds their capacity and will forever under their current system - their guys will never keep up. They have the tech , but under the union Monday to Friday with every second week three day weekends and 8 hr day with less than 5-6 hrs of actual work - they are fuked .

Comment

I looked it up on my phone. Info should be correct. Telus.
                    Remember, thats just one cell phone. But coverage ok.
                    Grannys' landline is $45. Telus
                    Internet is through a tower rebroadcast system. Its ok and all we have. $50 standard $65 more data. Syban.
                    Then of course Grannys' tv. Basic plus a couple add ons. $60. Starchoice.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...