• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heavy Sclorotinia

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavy Sclorotinia

Seed grower near Canora SK., swathing some Dekalb 75-45. Says its infected between 40%-50% Sclorotinia, very disappointing. Seen pictures on Twitter, he not lying that's for sure. Fussrium also really showing up, even driving by at 80 km.

Sclerotinia very bad in manitoba too. Everyone here uses fungicides, if you didnt the crop will be very very diasapointing. Lots of black dust, need to wipe off the swather windshield quite often.

Comment

Contans wg

Works better than any fungicide it's a biological and it gets to the root of the problem not a bandaid.

Comment

Klause.....have you or do you use it? Isn't it best soil incorporated the fall before the susceptible crop is to be sewn? I looked into it once and the incorporation thing bugs me. Our canola "looks" pretty good....don't see alot of early "maturing" stocks throughout the field. ...not even in the low spots. Not saying there's none but it isn't plainly visible.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
          Klause.....have you or do you use it? Isn't it best soil incorporated the fall before the susceptible crop is to be sewn? I looked into it once and the incorporation thing bugs me. Our canola "looks" pretty good....don't see alot of early "maturing" stocks throughout the field. ...not even in the low spots. Not saying there's none but it isn't plainly visible.
          Ya. We kelly harrowed some last year cultivated some and just harrow ed others you need to get it in contact with soil then you're good. It also lasts for years as it's a living organism.

Very little if any sclerotinia in the area this year even on fields getting swathed right now so not a good year to compare but plain as day last year

Comment

How many $'s/ac?

Comment

How many $'s/ac?

Depends on rate 19 bucks the first time and boosters you can go down to 11 or so.

Those nematodes are neat we use them in the garden to control all sorts of pests

Comment

Thanks.... I've never gone as far as pricing because as I said the incorporation turned me off. But would it really be out to lunch compared to in crop fungicide? As we talked about before, what is that app really costing you? Fungicide, sprayer cost, tramping.... contans= no tramping.

Comment

Thanks.... I've never gone as far as pricing because as I said the incorporation turned me off. But would it really be out to lunch compared to in crop fungicide? As we talked about before, what is that app really costing you? Fungicide, sprayer cost, tramping.... contans= no tramping.

I think it's cheaper than Lance isn't it?

Plus you sre killing the spores so there's no disease to begin with. Wish we would have put it on before lentils it would take care of a lot of wHite mold issues.

For us it's also timing we custom spray so we often just don't have time to so our own.

Comment

Very heavy schlerotina in our part of MB. It's leaving swathing timing a big question in farmers' minds. We've started swathing canola just slightly earlier than we'd like. We're finding that, because of disease, it really only cuts well at night or when damp. Plant material gets too fluffy otherwise.

Now that we're into the field we're finding that quite a bit of the schlerotina showing are branches and not the main stem, so that might save some yield.

We sprayed Rovral and Proline and notice no difference in control. Obviously there was re infection after spraying.

Comment

Isn't platinum cheaper than Lance?

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                        I think it's cheaper than Lance isn't it?

Plus you sre killing the spores so there's no disease to begin with. Wish we would have put it on before lentils it would take care of a lot of wHite mold issues.

For us it's also timing we custom spray so we often just don't have time to so our own.
                        What happens when the spores blow in from the field beside you? One mushroom releases millions of spores and it only takes one to infect the plant. They can blow a long ways.

Comment

Originally posted by MBgrower View Post
                          Sclerotinia very bad in manitoba too. Everyone here uses fungicides, if you didnt the crop will be very very diasapointing. Lots of black dust, need to wipe off the swather windshield quite often.
                          IN my part of Manitoba everyone also uses fungicides. A couple weeks ago I told one guy that I did not spray for sclerotinia. He looked at me like I was from another planet. lmao

I have about 2-3 infected plants per acre. My crop was early and was blooming before we got rains. The brix was also high. From the road it looks like it should be swathed, but the seeds are just starting to turn

Comment

Good to see the reality of high brickle and low disease . Farmers need to rethink plant health not bandaid solutions offered by Chem companies .
                            But unfortunately products that help sugar levels are precieved as snake oil by most of the Ag industry - pushed by Chem and line companies to keep farmers blinders on

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...