• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Central AB crop report

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Central AB crop report

I know many of you don't want to hear this, but in my limited travels, I haven't seen a poor crop, I haven't even seen an average crop. Small area though, within an hour of Red Deer in most directions except North. And much of this area, especially further south was starving for moisture all spring and early summer, you would never know it now. I keep hearing reports of hail, but haven't seen any significant damage yet. we were beat up in early July, but recovered.

I haven't seen a standing barley field anywhere. Some looks nearly ripe, some is ripe with green second growth all through the lodged areas. My earliest seeded barley would have liked a drink long before it got one, but started tillering again in July when it rained, looks good now. Later seeded has looked better all along. Tried some Amisk barley for the first time. Staying disease free, Not lodging any worse than the Newdale right beside. Was billed as a replacement for Vivar, I think it might live up to it.
    Wheat, standing much better, but still very thick. No signs of disease from the road.
    I grew mostly Penhold CPS this year, it is standing perfectly. It really suffered from lack of moisture all spring, then tillered in July, still gets thicker by the day, timing could have been better.

Canola, I think Pioneer will have some new records to advertise this winter, it is loving this cool wet weather. No significant Sclerotinia yet that I've seen or heard of. Most is almost done flowering, a few fields still yellow. Comparing varieties I have this year: L252 seeded first, flowered first, and flowered the longest. Very impressive variety. L130 and L120 indistinguishable from each other for flowering timing and height, planted side by side, but I think the L130 does have bigger pods. Canterra 1990 is still yellow, and flowered sooner than Pioneer 45H29, 45H33 and 45CS40 all seeded in the same field at the same time. The Pioneers are taller though. All three have been indistinguishable from a distance. Some 43E03, it looks good now, but is more than a month behind, due to no moisture to germinate till July.

I don't grow peas so am not the best judge, but most peas looked quite short, thin and dirty all summer, but now that they are nearly ripe, they are full of tall lush flowering peas twice as tall. Not sure that is a good thing.

Faba beans. Not as many as last year. They looked awful last year in the dry. Much better this year, but I was surprised to see low spots drowned out in them. I thought they were water tolerant?

The corn crops I've seen look excellent and consistent compared to most years.

I doubt haying is even half finished in my area, rain nearly every day. Lots of very poor quality hay. And very poor quantity too, the rain was much too late to save the hay crops here, but I think that is a local phenomenon and unlikely to drastically affect the market. My hay is much worse than last year, and last year was a record drought.

Pastures were scary to look at all spring. Never seen brown grass in June before. But now are making up for it.

Unless there is an august 20th frost.....

Comment

Or it keeps raining till it snows.

Comment

Do not understand opposition to making crop reports and conditions accurate.
        Thinking back to 2013 crop, under estimating crop size likely hurt growers more than anyone else.
        Perhaps those who benefited from talking down crop size were ones who locked in price and delivery opportunity.

Comment

Tweety, it is far from being in the bin yet, I'm not counting my chickens yet. And there are definitely areas too dry to the south of here, and too wet to the north. Areas around Valleyview had 10 inches of rain in a few days. I even have a few minor areas completely flooded out, quite recently too. It's interesting this year, most places, the low areas are the best crop(unusual) and right across the road the low areas are flooded right out.

Comment

So we can all agree maybe crop tours like they do in the states might add an ounce of accuracy and transparency to these debates?

Maybe put a railway guy and a few farmers on the tour....to actually talk about what they see early in the cycle.

Novel idea as well as developing trend lines and building for it?

Can someone donate a roll of tinfoil please?

Comment

A crop tour like the ones in the USA would be nice! Flooded shit doesn't produce anything same as 110 km hour crop tours! Or phone a friend from your office in Calgary or Winterpeg and get yep its big and getting bigger!
              Or companies selling shit buy buy buy crop related equipment and supplies running short!

We're losing the battle as farmers!

Realize they make up shit to suit them, not us!

Remember the first years it can't be that bad we will assess in a couple months fm it stunk so bad after yet they denied it and bought lots of old crop for pennies.

Farming we feed he world they **** is every single day! 1960 prices in 2016 yet groceries aren't even close to 1960 prices'

Comment

Originally posted by Hopalong View Post
                Do not understand opposition to making crop reports and conditions accurate.
                Thinking back to 2013 crop, under estimating crop size likely hurt growers more than anyone else.
                Perhaps those who benefited from talking down crop size were ones who locked in price and delivery opportunity.
                I really appreciate the reports other people post here. None of us has time to get out and see the conditions everywhere w our own eyes.

Comment

Albertafarmer5 being a little over 30 mins east of red deerI fall in your observation area. I also grew Penhold CPS wheat and was disappointed with how it tillered. Seeded at 150 lbs per acre and wasn't impressed with the stand. On the plus side it has not lodged. My neighbours Go wheat looks much better but has lodged a bit.

As for canola, the stands look good will be interesting to see how they yield.
                  Impressed with my Copeland barley, last year sold 85 bushels per acre, not sure I will top that this year.
                  My peas look like there is a better stand than last year, all but one field is past being ready to spray, I have been holding off waiting on my custom silage guy, can't do both at once.
                  My hay out yielded last year, I felt very fortunate.
                  Overall I agree crops are good but not record breaking in my opinion. I was very pleased with last years crops, dryer weather led to less disease. This year crops not fungicided have more leaf disease than last year for sure. Stripe rust for sure on some wheat fields. Unfortunately crops are in a bit of a bear market right now and potential yield doesn't matter until it is in the bin. Have a good day:-)

Comment

I think its good to restore some balance AB5 and report on areas that haven't been wrecked by adverse weather. Was on a road trip to Broadview, SK yesterday, 350 mile round trip and really never saw a poor crop, none that were under water and surprisingly none that had been hailed out or wrecked by the severe storms we've seen this summer.

Comment

Alta 5 I agree I dont see a poor crop anywhere but the proof will be when it is in the bin,flat as the bly is it will probably leave a lot in the field unless mabey you have a striper header , The hay ended up growing real well concidering how it started but over 50% is black and lots to cut yet so you know even if it goes up green how good will it be.
                      Sask3 I realy dont follow you complaining about imputs all the time as it is you ,the BTOs that buy all that shit ,most of us guys gust trying to make a living dont realy care as we dont do the max everything game, grow more sell for less ???

Comment

The tillering on the Penhold was poor to start with, but with the lack of moisture, I won't blame the variety.

Cutting hay today, and it is almost a good crop finally, improved a lot since a month ago when it should have been cut. With our clay we can grow an incredible hay crop on snow melt alone, but when the snow melts this early and nothing follows, the laws of physics were against the hay from the start.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...