• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learning from Austrailia

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning from Austrailia

My Austrailian brother in-law is over in Canada for a holiday and we were having a good bullshit after dropping off a header at the dealer. We got talking politics and I was filling him in on our Alberta NDP and our upcoming carbon tax. He brought up a bit of Aussie history I felt worth mentioning. In 2010 the Austrailian Labour Party brought in a carbon tax which he said immediately raised the price of electricity by 20%. Most power in Austrailia is generated by coal and most Aussies were not happy. In the next election the Liberal party(sounds similar to our PC's) ran on removing the carbon tax and won. The carbon tax was removed and the Labour Party is yet to be re-elected.

As I watch the Alberta NDP do everything in their power to harm our once prosperous province economically talking to my brother in-law gave me hope that in the next election Albertans will remove the NDP and the task of repairing the damage can begin. Have a good day:-)

Except that you have the same unfortunate problem in Alberta that we have in Ontario - a mindless, shirtless Federal leader who is more interested in generating good optics and feel-good ideology than economic and social stability. And his mandate not only outlasts the provincial mandates, but has a good chance of winning the next election because of his appeal to the mindless masses who are easily swayed by six-packs and grass.

Somebody could write a book under the title "The Destroyers". Oh wait someone did and got kicked out...

Comment

Hamloc O good we can go back to the PCs but what do we have to giveaway now o wait we can reruglate the power industry that should never have been deregulated in the first place Yea bring ralph back and ask some questions about that boondogle.

Comment

We will never get rid of the NDP until enough people have that as a common goal.
        I think they would still win today. I believe the majority of voters dont ever think about the 'how's and 'why's of anything but the "weekend" as long as the lights come on with the switch and the toilet works. I'm convinced to win an election partys have to be increasingly to the left.
        And our provincial right of center partys are still too busy playing grabass.

Comment

Retired I may have gave the wrong impression. I am not a Fan of Alison Redford's or Ed Stelmach's government. I was also not a fan of power deregulation. But most of all I am not a fan of the present NDP government. Their anti business sentiment is very obvious even for that matter their anti consumer. Increasing beer taxes, the carbon tax, the apparent mismanagement in relation to the power purchase agreements. I think they want break the power companies so the government can take ownership and control. Was the old PC government the answer, definitely not, but the present NDP government is doing a lot of damage to business and to the future economy of Alberta imo!

Comment

Hamloc You may be right about this ND gov only time will tell but we do have the record of past gov and it is not good. I wonder just how much we have already paid for this power deregulation. Should ask Steve West as he was the point man .

Comment

Retired, alberta's been booming for the last 40 years! look at your population growth, standard of living,lowest prov. debt in canada. Your past gov. wasn't perfect but it looks like they did some things right. Too bad you had to give 100's of billions away in transfer pmts.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...