• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harvest and Wet Weather!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvest and Wet Weather!

Started peas yesterday before the storm but found out they were still way to tough and Humidity along with wet ground was causing more problems than the tough peas.

Running a GPS line you can still drive through the water with header up but seems its at a tipping point.

Last night probably a inch at least from the storm and more today.

Dryer is ready and air bins are also.

So how are guys going to deal with this shit show of two days wet then three nice followed by two days storms may dump up to three inches on you.

Swathing is it used for Barley for Malt or wait and take when ever. Or is malt already out of the question.

Strait Canola has a place but last year with the rain events we found the ground was so wet inside the Canopy that yes the Canola was dry but couldn't combine.

With lots of acres going direcClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4814.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	777278t this year is this going to be the next problem.

Spraying are we going to have to go plane with its issues or put fats on and go.

Ruts and running water in fields will combines stay afloat and trucks will need to be parked on grid roads.

Lots of elevators count on dry grain then mix off there best customers tough shit and ship dry in centers with no dryers. Will that work this year.

Ah farming where every year is different but some things never change its Canada and its a challenge to get it off.

What are others doing or do they think mother nature will straiten out for them for harvest.

Weather for the week looks ugly. Amazing how quickly the potential for an early harvest disappeared. Not much maturing will happen before froday now if the forecast holds. I hope that is the last of it

Comment

Drew has us I believe wet for rest of august and into sept till the pattern changes. If it happens ouch is all I can say as rain events are getting stronger not weaker. Yet Billings mt was bone dry just south of us.

Comment

Two months ago our neighbor had an auction and they sold a pretty nice continuous grain dryer that was part of his seed cleaning business. They barely got $750 for it. now I wonder if maybe this is the year you will really wish you had it...but hey we know things around here can change in an instant...hopefully Drew is wrong.

Comment

Rain on the roof woke me a 5:00... we only caught a bit of it but the radar north of us looks bad...again.

...wouldn't it be nice if it didn't matter?

Comment

1. Kick racoon out of dryer
            2. Keep fixing on machinery
            3. Take barley straight no matter what
            4. Finish October 31, weather permitting

Comment

Ground is wet I central Alberta too. Neighbor was putting up silage 2 days ago and trucks kept getting stuck. The custom cutter brought out his big wagons pulled by front wheel assist tractors and got her done. We are no where nere as wet as you Sask 3 so I can imagine what a mess that would be. Good luck!

Comment

Regina Block didn't hold last night. 1.2 inches in the guage. Grass is green, no more watering for awhile.

Comment

Some graincos have dryers .... do they fire them up?

Sure is shitty that farmers have to buy grain dryers snd bins while billion dollar companies won't even make an effort to start something that gets paid for every year using paper drying.

It's just more and more a royal ****ing.

Anyone on here think the railways and graincos are ready?

Comment

Going to be allot of fun this fall. Not good when the grain cart wont stay on top. Dryer is ready to go on this farm because grains never get dry when the ground is this wet. Cant imagine putting 35-40ft in a swath and expecting it to dry on the sloppy ground. Straight cutting will be impossible on saturated ground.

Comment

I don't think aeration will cut it this year. Its so humid every day. Sure don't look forward to grain drying but if that's what it takes to get those peas and lentils, who can argue. All pulses will be dear indeed if this carries on.

Comment

I finished my quarter of fall rye yesterday. It took me one week to do it. When I started it was almost dry but I could only travel 2.2 mph with my 9600 combine on a 24 ft swath because of humidity and large amount of straw. I hired a custom guy to give me a hand but a rain seemed to come shortly after every time we started. I wonder how long I would have to run aeration to bring it down 2 points with this humidity?

I am so lucky to be missing the heavier rains so far. This crop would have been screwed if it was as wet as the pictures I just seen. Fall rye sprouts easier than most other cereals.

Comment

Replay of 2010..Every piece of equipment that hits the field will be stuck at some point..Maybe many times..

Wheat will probably all be FD..Fuz will take it all regardless of variety or if was sprayed..Nothing is designed for this amount of water..

Not going to be a fun harvest..Go slow and don't wreck the equipment..

Comment

The fact that we never got anywhere near the amount of rain as some other areas and we have lighter based soil(but kinda a mix of everything but outright gumbo)....I am still hopeful that this won't be a complete harvest from hell, but it really hasn't started here yet either.

Wouldn't it be nice if it didn't matter?

Please work safe, getting stuck equipment out can be real dangerous, don't take any unnecessary chances.
                            During the harvest pressure always stop a second to think... is this safe? Take care!

Comment

Welcome to my world, folks. Ten years of it and you too may be looking at renting it out like I am contemplating these days.

That is just normal to me now. Only difference is that you need to be looking at a 10 bushel canola crop like I am this year.

It sure ain't fun.

I remember last year, certain people were saying just go out and swath. This spring they were saying get out there and combine. I do not recall who they were, but may they be blessed with moisture so that they too can have some experience with it. Everyone needs a rough harvest now and again. Makes you stronger, and far richer in experience.

lol

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...