• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola

Very little sclerotinia around here and maybe 1 plant an acre of aster infection. Thought the canopy didn't look as dense but walking in tells a different story.

They don't show up to much while the canola is still flowering... If they do then it's REALLY bad.

Comment

sclerotinia I mean won't be showing much at that stage unless it's really bad.

Comment

I meant generally in this area.

The pics are from our last seeded field of L140P, planted June 2.

Lots of canola went in May 8th to 15th in the area, filled in nice, probably a week from swathing... still no asters or very few and no sclerotinia.

Comment

Ok that's good.

Our biggest problem was asters up till a few days ago... Then the hail and flooding rain hit.
          Well let's just say it's next year country here and I hope it dries up enough so harvest isn't a complete nightmare.
          That's farming....

Comment

Originally posted by jake550 View Post
            Ok that's good.

Our biggest problem was asters up till a few days ago... Then the hail and flooding rain hit.
            Well let's just say it's next year country here and I hope it dries up enough so harvest isn't a complete nightmare.
            That's farming....

That's crappy sorry to hear it. This crop is getting smaller by the day. Was hauling grain to regina and moose jaw all last week can't believe how poor things get once a guy gets south of Young

Comment

Ya I know. Big areas with quite poor crop. Then areas with really nice crop. Same as ever.

Comment

No worries. When the combines start rolling everyone will be posting pictures of yield monitors showing 50+ canola etc. I guess except for freewheat anyway.

Comment

7444 seeded May 17, week or so away, very thick leaned EAST after the hurricane winds. Barley, 6 row seeded May 6th.Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	765014Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	765015Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	765016

Comment

There's a lot of lodged Canola. We have not a lot of experience with Canola. Will it cure laying down? Durum laying flat as a pancake too. Me tinks its gonna be quite a harvest. Getting ready for broken knives and bleeding knuckles. Who said, "Awe farming"?

By the way, the guy who burns his Canary stubbles black and seeds his lentils into black dirt in April is combining #1 Estons. I haven't heard the yield but will let you all know when I hear it myself from him directly. Gotta say his fields were standing straight and open to the air in July. Not much disease in the field that we looked at. Think maybe he'll have the gold in the bin much before we wiil, for sure.

Comment

Also, his are almost all swathed at this moment. Some also desiccated.

Comment

Have had lots of experience with lodged canola, some of the earlier varieties in particular.
                        Generally, yield did not suffer too much if we could get it through swather and combine.
                        Exception was sclerotinia affected.
                        One of worst experiences was canola on grass alfalfa breaking, had been in grass for several years and was bad with sclerotinia.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...