• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Challenging the perception of Alberta

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visited a friend who sells houses in newly developed areas in south Edmonton....was somewhat slow in spring, but now they say they are quite busy. Friend listed her house in Edmonton and had offer in 10 days...for way more than I thought it was worth.
    Heard of foreclosures in Redwater, and quite a number of them...not sure , only rumor.
    Have a nephew, who must be a great hand, because they are keeping him working on rigs, yeah , he has to shuffle around a bit, but they are keeping him working. Had some workers here this summer, as I had a bunch of stuff to catch up on, and the guys I had, seemed to have a rough time finding a job....and I now know why...they are no longer here.
    Some things are rolling along decently, others suck....not as easy for some as it used to be, but I still think a reshuffle was needed. Yeah, its gonna hurt, but it is needed.
    Problem was, money came too easy....and we got used to it.

Comment

can't argue with that , some govt people actually think they earned their EDO every fourth friday

Comment

I have a cousin who is a framer. Last year built lots of houses in Red deer. This year no work in Red deer. He has kept busy building decks and doing some tile jobs. I have 3 friends worked in oil 30 years. One is still working good hours, the other 2 are working about 20% of last year and have taken a 25% wage cut. My son does concrete, last year most jobs were for younger 25-40, this year all but 1 job clients were over 50 and well established. Neighbor sells free range chicken, business is down 30-40%. Alberta is hurting and NDP policies are not helping. Anti business higher taxes very sad.

Comment

Grassfarmer one point that you made that is correct. Under the much maligned PC's the province had diversified its economy.

Comment

Would agree with Perfecho. Money was to easy in Alberta for people and government included and therefore much was wasted. Its painful but necessary and stupid NDP policies only add to the troubles.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
              Oh I'm not denying there are casualties and a lot of those in oil and gas are hurting. Point is oil and gas aren't as big a segment of the AB economy as those in that industry would have you believe.
              Your comment shows that your credulity for leftist propaganda is exceeded only by your lack of comprehension of reality. Apparently you are having a lot of trouble grasping the points being made by many in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
                Your comment shows that your credulity for leftist propaganda is exceeded only by your lack of comprehension of reality. Apparently you are having a lot of trouble grasping the points being made by many in this thread.
                No, that is the reality. Try grasping it.

Comment

Nice to stay in the headlines I guess. Yes, the economy is far more diversified than 81. Common sense. Industries have been invented since then. Interest rates far better. Have a Trudeau in office, thats the same. Have a completely different scenario in the Leg.
                  When looking for "proof" that all is still well, be careful where you look. Especially from a distance. A trend has started that will exist for some time. Actual employers are leaving the province. Industry that creates new wealth from something real is dwindling.
                  And thats ok. Pulling everyone to the bottom, leaves fewer of the gdp producers to blame.

Comment

Things in AB are not as bad as they are going to get that is for sure. Carbon taxes and the foolish closure of coal fired generation kick in next year. We have a crappy harvest coming this fall which will kill the pulse industry in western Canada dead so be thankful things are not as bad as they are going to get. As others have pointed out many of those other jobs are in support industries but they will very slowly shrink in the coming years as well. If you are unlucky enough to need a good job your life will not be worth living in the future.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...