• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the great Canadian lentil race

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the great Canadian lentil race

White mold is setting in hard now even in drier areas. Can they fill before they die? Already lost 10% I would say. Sprayed twice, once with aquapella and again with Lance. Under 5" rain. Aphids a working hard too. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160730_113754.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	777269

ado089.... we had it so bad once that the schlerotia bodies were growing on the side of the lentil stems in cottony structures. The schlerotia bodies (black mouse shit shaped things) were in the harvested grain sample and no problem finding them! A black cloud of dust followed the combine, out the back and out of the feeder house, and if the wind was going the wrong way we had to stop at times to let the dust disperse so we could see where we were going....fun.....

I showed a picture of the lentil plants to a fellow who worked with BASF at the time.....he asked me to text it to his phone.....probably made a good disussion topic or a picture for a slide presentation.... I never seen anything like it before.

Comment

Interesting that you sprayed them twice with good mold products, only had 5 inches of rain and you still have mold.

I can't answer the yield loss question. But I will find out first hand

Iceman out

Comment

Originally posted by ado089 View Post
        White mold is setting in hard now even in drier areas. Can they fill before they die? Already lost 10% I would say. Sprayed twice, once with aquapella and again with Lance. Under 5" rain. Aphids a working hard too. [ATTACH]494[/ATTACH]

I would say 90% of the lentils around me are screwed. They canopied early then fell over and stayed soaked for far too long. Pods are few and far between shes a rotten 5 to 8 bus acre of feed. Lots of guys will be short on their contracts. Its ugly out there. My best were smashed in the face with 100grams sencore right before flowering. They stayed airy and the stress kicked em into action.
        Unorthodox sometimes wins.

Comment

Originally posted by iceman View Post
          Interesting that you sprayed them twice with good mold products, only had 5 inches of rain and you still have mold.

I can't answer the yield loss question. But I will find out first hand

Iceman out
          I'm not surprised. I was pretty sure when spraying the Lance that it was a waste of time and money since it was already too thick to see the rows. I did it more out of peer pressure, lol. I had French greens that looked like this once and they only ran 16bpa with a 40 bu stand.
          Last edited by ado089; Jul 30, 2016, 14:57.

Comment

It's really odd. We have one field a few miles away that just got decimated with disease. Only difference was the soil is lighter and we delayed the first spray because they looked so darn good. Now you should see them, talk about mold. If they make 10 bushel, it will be a miracle. Seems some soils harbour some molds or botrytis. Our heavy gumbo shows way less disease and no mold at all despite the fact that they took more rain. Its got us shaking our heads. And the black oily dust, we've seen it before. It sticks to the combine and any spark and we need the fire truck.

Comment

ado089. How is that yellow mustard doing, did you spray it for sclerotinia? Cleavers? Volunteer canola?

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                ado089. How is that yellow mustard doing, did you spray it for sclerotinia? Cleavers? Volunteer canola?
                It got a touch of hail on it but it still looks OK. There's no canola, no cleavers. I didn't spray for sclerotina but there doesn't seem to be any. The bottom seeds are turning yellow. It self pruned pretty hard so it's down to 3-4 plants per sqft but most plants have over 300 pods. I'm anticipating something close to 30.

Comment

Ado , how much rain yesterday ? I know your spread out but I hear some good rains south of town
                  We got virtually zero again up here

Comment

We seen a few years when specialty crops have been pre-sold up the wazoo. Don't pre-sell! These contracts are going to be so short. The contract prices were so enticing, no one expected a wipe out.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                      Ado , how much rain yesterday ? I know your spread out but I hear some good rains south of town
                      We got virtually zero again up here
                      3/10" at Cando but the ground was still damp from the last shower. The lentils should love that. I'm tempted to hit them with liberty to defoliates them a bit and take what I get. I haven't heard what happened at arelee, but it looked ugly on radar.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...