• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheat Harvest disaster in France

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought Western Canadian wheat production was small in the grand scheme of things but we were a fairly "impotent" when it came to world trade in wheat.... so if we had none?????

Farming101----you're a chart guy. Make us a couple of pies.... Pie charts that is.... our percent of world production and our percent of world trade. a la charte please!!!!

Comment

Note that Brazil, Turkey and Mexico import significant quantities of wheat
      Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-16 World wheat and products exports.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	765006Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-16 Wheat volume exports.jpg
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	765007
      The chart below includes durum
      Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 wheat exports value.jpg
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	765008
      Last edited by farming101; Jul 25, 2016, 22:30.

Comment

Thanks 101.

Ya ok.....we matter but so do our competitors

Interesting though is the fact the US exports one and a half times more grain than Canada but the total value of our exports are more than theirs.

Maybe we need to think about maintaining our quality....how else do you explain fewer tonnes exported for more money?

Unless I'm missing something.

Comment

The last chart shows value by country. Also I believe that is for the calendar year.
          Pie charts are trade year which runs from July - June.

The pie charts lump all of the EU together to come up with the 33 Million tonnes. The pie charts also include flour and products. That's why Turkey makes a showing. Huge processor and exporter of milling products.

Ya I think it would be noticed if Canada had nothing for sale.
          Last edited by farming101; Jul 25, 2016, 12:46.

Comment

Russian exports about 10% more than us but the value of our exports are about one and a half times higher....

.....think we need to maintain quality?

Let's not sink to the lowest common denominator....

Comment

A commentary on US new crop wheat protein

[URL="https://www.dtnpf.com/agriculture/web/ag/perspectives/columns/cash-market-moves/article/2016/07/18/us-new-crop-hrw-protein"]https://www.dtnpf.com/agriculture/web/ag/perspectives/columns/cash-market-moves/article/2016/07/18/us-new-crop-hrw-protein[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                Thanks 101.

Ya ok.....we matter but so do our competitors

Interesting though is the fact the US exports one and a half times more grain than Canada but the total value of our exports are more than theirs.

Maybe we need to think about maintaining our quality....how else do you explain fewer tonnes exported for more money?

Unless I'm missing something.
                The chart includes flour and products. So perhaps we export more value added than those other countries?

Comment

Another thing they don't tell you, is France grows more wheat then Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by sk_wheatking View Post
                    I wonder....if we had zero crop in western canada of wheat, barley and canola would it have any effect on the world price at all? The local markets might suffer a bit but I'm sure they would import what they need at a good price for them. I heard someone say one time that the state of Kansas grows more wheat than the entire country of Canada. The high quality western canadian wheat argument is out the window too because there's no premium for that kind of wheat by the looks of it.

Discuss.....
                    Agree sk3. Farmers here have switched to high yielding US wheats, and CPSR variety Penhold. Not enough premium for hard reds.

Comment

The reason Canada has a higher export value is because of the CWB. Wait...

Comment

Actually if $ value of exports is at port, must be the doubling of wheat prices AFTER the farmer's paid...grain company/railroads profits have been added.
                        Rest of the world not getting f*cked over the same?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...