• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheat Harvest disaster in France

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheat Harvest disaster in France

Further to SaskFarmer3's post.
    Why aren't we hearing from the trade about the disastrous wheat and barley harvest in France?
    A huge part of France is harvesting a third of a crop with very low bu weight and very high protein. In May when the crop was flowering they got a lot of very wet weather, screwing up the pollination, creating disease and drowning it.
    French farmers usually harvest 8T/ha of winter wheat at 11%protein and 76#/by.
    This year the yields are around 3T/ha at 15prot and under 56#/by.
    Some will say France does not mean much. Think again, France is the largest producer in the EU and usually exports. Now it will have to import quality wheat for sure and it looks like they may not care about protein son much.
    So why isn't that publicized? I have my own idea on that.
    Embellish the big crops, keep the wrecks quiet.

There goes our protien premiums

Comment

I agree why are we always fed the bumper crops.

The wheat and barley in France has 15 % sprout not bread making quality.

Comment

Import quality from where?
        Canada? Lol that's a good one
        Even the brown soil zone is well over 10inches for the year.
        Let's not be delusional here. Their will be big bushels per acre of junk.

Iceman out

Comment

Beat me to it iceman.... Canada's isn't in the bin yet either! Lots has gone wrong, lots will go wrong.

The quality may not be as stellar as you think, or hope for.

Over...

Comment

Farmaholic it's like this

Canola looks good. Go walk through it

Peas and Lentils still look good. Go pull plants and look under the canopy. No amount of spray is getting through that canopy

Cereals look good. Wait 10 days and go pull heads

2016 the year that never was. Let's just end this thing. Ah farming all in the game yo

Iceman out

Comment

Great crops and still whining. Sheesh.

Comment

Fusarium could be brutal seeing it already, lentils well they smell like rotton hay, canola looks good but wont really know till its in the hopper.

Bayer and BASF are the ones laughing their asses off a billion plus in sales just in Priaxor and Delaro and both are a joke. Prosaro junk too. They keep giving the same excuses you didn't get good enough coverage or missed the impossible to hit window. If they had the cure would they ever release it. No, there is more money in keeping crops and people sick.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                  Fusarium could be brutal seeing it already, lentils well they smell like rotton hay, canola looks good but wont really know till its in the hopper.

Bayer and BASF are the ones laughing their asses off a billion plus in sales just in Priaxor and Delaro and both are a joke. Prosaro junk too. They keep giving the same excuses you didn't get good enough coverage or missed the impossible to hit window. If they had the cure would they ever release it. No, there is more money in keeping crops and people sick.
                  Well said my sentiments exactly...

Comment

Well said why create a cure when a bandaid pays billions in return.

Comment

If you guys don't think the products work, why are you buying them?

Comment

Originally posted by stonepicker View Post
                        If you guys don't think the products work, why are you buying them?
                        I DO NOT, therefore agree...buy what you believe/swallow...

Comment

We had a French ag student stop by our farm last week. He described the wheat and barley harvest as "catastrophic."

Comment

I wonder....if we had zero crop in western canada of wheat, barley and canola would it have any effect on the world price at all? The local markets might suffer a bit but I'm sure they would import what they need at a good price for them. I heard someone say one time that the state of Kansas grows more wheat than the entire country of Canada. The high quality western canadian wheat argument is out the window too because there's no premium for that kind of wheat by the looks of it.

Discuss.....

Comment

Thanks for the update. what is your connection to France?

I just checked Noggers blog http://nogger-noggersblog.blogspot.ca/ He has been discussing the situation daily, but not much in mainstream news.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...