• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ontario Teachers are Renting out there land in our area, Lets watch!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ontario Teachers are Renting out there land in our area, Lets watch!

Ah its fun to watch as a very nice farm that sold to the Ontario teachers pension fund will now be available to the public to rent for 2017 2018 and 2019.

For one thing the original owner did very well on the sale and as far as I am concerned hit the top of the market. Well done and way to go.

But a smart business man knows and watches and builds when times are right and every thing is always for sale.

Now the Genius from Down east who believed land is king and pension funds should purchase property in Saskatchewan your not so bright. The same genius who took Canada pension funds and purchased property in Southern Saskatchewan. Really the Crown owned all the land originally then sold, gave away to settlers or still has and they are trying to unload it the same Government is investing your dollars in land.

So a 13000 acre farm is on the market as a rental agreement could not be achieved with the original owner and OPP.

I for one would have done the same thing, Get a very very nice price for the property, rent it back and create a nice exit package, pay them what they want after your paid in full, then low ball or go with the normal rent for the area. That's good business.

This isn't lentil country boys its Canola and Wheat and peas country.

Yes were watching with interest the Rentera sight to see what happens. Maybe we will bid maybe not. I for one believe a average rent from locals will be around the 50 dollar or less mark not the 80 plus there hoping for.

So to all the Big Dogs in Saskatchewan here is your chance to farm in a area where other Famous farms from Broad Ass to One Direction farmed and Ended!

Seen the add too. It is now too late for all the old farts hoarding land. The sale and rent back the past couple of years will prove a winning strategy. Land values in the weather is always nasty western Canada are way beyond what makes any sense. What goes up comes down. Welcome to the 80's.

Comment

I always said he hit the top of the market and good on him. Rent now will adjust. Plus the lentil area isn't a sure crop area either with heavy daily rain. Were 1.5 for today and climbing. Ah western Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
        Ah its fun to watch as a very nice farm that sold to the Ontario teachers pension fund will now be available to the public to rent for 2017 2018 and 2019.

For one thing the original owner did very well on the sale and as far as I am concerned hit the top of the market. Well done and way to go.

But a smart business man knows and watches and builds when times are right and every thing is always for sale.

Now the Genius from Down east who believed land is king and pension funds should purchase property in Saskatchewan your not so bright. The same genius who took Canada pension funds and purchased property in Southern Saskatchewan. Really the Crown owned all the land originally then sold, gave away to settlers or still has and they are trying to unload it the same Government is investing your dollars in land.

So a 13000 acre farm is on the market as a rental agreement could not be achieved with the original owner and OPP.

I for one would have done the same thing, Get a very very nice price for the property, rent it back and create a nice exit package, pay them what they want after your paid in full, then low ball or go with the normal rent for the area. That's good business.

This isn't lentil country boys its Canola and Wheat and peas country.

Yes were watching with interest the Rentera sight to see what happens. Maybe we will bid maybe not. I for one believe a average rent from locals will be around the 50 dollar or less mark not the 80 plus there hoping for.

So to all the Big Dogs in Saskatchewan here is your chance to farm in a area where other Famous farms from Broad Ass to One Direction farmed and Ended!
        That is quite the block south of balcarres. I thought you had next generation coming on board? Why the heck did you let the bloody investors buy that if that's near you??
        That's a shame the locals let that happen.

Comment

Sometimes when land sells so high like the past few years it makes no sense whatsoever to put your nuts out there and risk generations of a family farm just to make someone else wealthy - that's why .
          If you own a piece of paper and a pencil - take 5 min and figure it out . And use real numbers from crops that grow on your area . It's not rocket science that land prices got too high for the risk involved. Just ask guys in areas flooded / hailed out . With current grain prices and some areas potential crop wrecks factored in - land is way Fukin over priced.
          Don't use 60 bus canola at $12 for your base income , or maybe go ahead - you will be broke in 2 years and outs business like Gary Pike that wizard .

Comment

Agree furrow.

Years ago we would have purchased 8 quarters to have a real nice block.

Those 8 would have been subsidised by the rest.

Yea Pike was a genius.

This was a farm that purchased and started with good land reasonable price and expanded like every one else.

When the offer to sell came in why not take it no one would have gave that amount.

But when some one over pays why give them what they want for rent. It was there problem for over paying.

Comment

Obviously it would need to be subsidized by other land/income but when it's nearby it's a no brainer long term.
              That is if there's another generation raring to go...

Comment

I seriously doubt Pike had much "skin in the game"... Actually I bet these guys come out of this unscathed or barely harmed. These "GENIUSES" in all likely hood create an income stream for themselves out of the venture.... Board seats, management positions, all sucking the life out of the Corp while investors hope and pray for a return on investment!!!

I am assuming...

That is why "Large Agricultural "BUSINESS" Corporations" seldom survive....The management is more interested in their financial health than that of the Corps. Wouldn't you say the farm's finances have to come before yours if you want a farm to survive long term? I've said it a million times.... farming is not a business that can be managed using the normal corporate business structure.... there just isn't enough money to go around! Especially with the boom and bust cycles it endures.

Comment

Why suck your kids to farm 23000 acres in a flood infested world! Farming isn't a huge profit game! Other better things then if they want to farm later in life they have it.
                  Oh you spend big money but really it's land that one has at the end not rented that is something!
                  Renting is short term!
                  Plus it's the Ontario pension fund really they F$&ked up and paid to much or bought at he top.
                  Low ball them if a guy wants it.
                  I don't give a rats ass if they need a return on investment.
                  Just to be the BTO in area really isn't a goal for me anymore!
                  It's is nice dirt.

Comment

Am I wrong? Redhead land...not pike land correct?

Comment

Yes it's Redland farms.

Pike was south and north.

Comment

I'll take any bets that say it goes lower than $75. I bet 100+ is possible. Already lots of interest and hey there are a lot of BTO wannabes out there

Comment

[QUOTE=Ache4Acres;320906]I'll take any bets that say it goes lower than $75. I bet 100+ is possible. Already lots of interest and hey there are a lot of BTO wannabes out there[/QUOTE

I suspect you're right on the crazy rent.
                          But the same people won't buy it when they had the chance for $2,000 or $2,500 an acre.

Is that the kinda price it sold for saskfarmer?

Comment

Are guys making money paying $100/ac rents in that area? What are they growing for crops and yields. In my area we are hearing $75 to $80/ac rents - this is 30-35 bu canola and 35-40 bu wheat country and yes we can see less than those numbers. I can not see how that these rents work in our area. I am always looking to expand but renting at these prices makes little sense to me... Unfortunately I had to pass on an opportunity to buy a section - happy to see a young operator get approved by FCC to buy it because I have no idea how it will ever pay for itself. Not sure how it works with no other paid for land; new house; young family but sure hope it works out for them.

Comment

Originally posted by RTK View Post
                              Are guys making money paying $100/ac rents in that area? What are they growing for crops and yields. In my area we are hearing $75 to $80/ac rents - this is 30-35 bu canola and 35-40 bu wheat country and yes we can see less than those numbers. I can not see how that these rents work in our area. I am always looking to expand but renting at these prices makes little sense to me... Unfortunately I had to pass on an opportunity to buy a section - happy to see a young operator get approved by FCC to buy it because I have no idea how it will ever pay for itself. Not sure how it works with no other paid for land; new house; young family but sure hope it works out for them.
                              There are lots of 50+ bushel canola crops and 70+ bushel wheat grown.
                              Obviously as all farmers know you can never bank on those yields but it has become quite common on the high input fields.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...