• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4814.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	777252

Well we have a very busy day as have to head north for some parts and then a quick stop at AIM again and back for family get together. Ah summer in Sask. But since fungicide apps are done and no midge was seen its park the sprayer and enjoy the week or two off before its spray peas and the fun begins.
    What a week with wild weather that took crop from Just out side Cupar right up to half way to Balcarres. 100% to low of 30%, big hail. Other areas in Sask seen hail events pick up and some of the late night storms are actually the worst. Hot humid and Ontario like except without there government. Total since last week is 3.3 inches since last report. Water runs now.

So here it goes.

HRS is filling and lodging and yes even if you sprayed some minor Fuz is noticeable. It has rained so much that crop will have spots that turn yellow and die and harvest will be fun again if rain continues much longer. Midge was light in area and crop is nice not our highest yielder ever but its nice.

Durum is headed sprayed twice with fungicide once at flag and again at head it is thin but big heads might do not bad for fuz but yield will be lower.

Peas are in shut down mode and will be sprayed in 10 days to two weeks or August 1st. If the flooded areas weren't there and disease it would be one heck of a crop. Weeds are popping above the crop and they don't look that pretty any more. Wont be our highest due to disease and flooding.

Canola some is flowering full, early is shutting down to finishing and most looks not bad to wow. Some early doesn't look as thick as when it was flowering not sure why. Some late the heavy rains daily are taking flowers off and will be blank spaces on stem. Disease pressure was at a min. Test that I did and sent away at early flower showed all fields except two half sections that needed to be sprayed for fungicide tile will tell but so far not bad investment to get the test and results looks correct.

Barley is going flat and as I stated earlier reports its to tall this year and its to wet. Fuz is seen as minor so far but it is present. Time will tell on malt but me thinks not.

Oats is awesome and maybe we should of stayed growing.

Flax has recovered from the floods and filling in nice looks not bad not the heaviest crop but nice.

Corn is awesome and wow is the word very tall and doing real good.

Soy is coming along not poding but the fields look better that they did a week ago. Water is a issue because its becoming excess again.

Lentils are into spray three have disease and aphids and really are not setting seed. Lots of lush growth.

Pastures are a 10 as cows cant keep up with growth. Hay making is a challenge as cut rain turn rain turn again rain ah shit its rotten and regrown.

So this is for our area, basically the big white combine can F#$K up a crop faster than any thing and add to that excess rain, some boys in winterpeg better realize this one is a long way from the bin and from my travels really it doesn't look like a province wide bumper crop. Sorry that's the fact it could be a average to lower if the rain and storms persist.

So stay safe and remember the ones at home are way more important than any crop that the companies will try to take for nothing.

Anyone want to throw a lentil production guess out there?

Looked at some local hard core lentil guy fields ..... well it's a great hay crop.

Reports are there are some being cut for bales already. Haven't confirmed. But the rumour is there.

2.8mmt is a guess.

And yes I ran out of tinfoil.

Comment

Lentil crop is in big time trouble!! First it was too much rain, and because of that mold has set in and it's not pretty. Guys with large greens have very few pods/flowers, and yes some will be cut for feed. There are reds in the situation!
      If the trade sees this a bin buster crop, think again!! With the thick heavy stands you can't put enough water down to get to the mold. I've talked to several farmers and most are saying they are done spraying. Production will be way down regardless of the acres.

Comment

Next big issue is, with every elevator company starting to handle lentils, is staff trained to accurately assess quality?

Comment

Up to 100% hail all around us near Regina. The storms on Tuesday night took their toll on many nice stands here. What isn't lodged, is listing severely. Our area was in the eye of the tornado warning (big purple blob on radar). Luckily not much moisture dropped. We are cutting hay today because the meteorologiston the radio predicted that Tuesday was the end of storm season for now. Lentils are filling but we are expecting a 1000-1200 lb. crop due to much foliage and not many pods - no 40 bushel one this year. One of our halves is solid mold under a soggy canope. It is not fully podded yet and who knows what will happen. We're in the third quarter and throwing a Hail Mary. Good Luck all!

Comment

Been trying to do my haying, and it has been impossible. Little rains every evening, wicked high humidity, so drying is slow. Alfalfa is AMAZINGLY huge. Seems to respond to water. I never knew alfalfa could grow that massive. Struggling to cut it, cuz the conditioner rolls are unable to handle the wet mat of material.

Can't trust a forecast at all, so I guess it comes down to cutting and hoping for a week of relatively dry conditions.

I don't even want to talk about my deplorable crops. Our land looked like the pic above, but that was when the canola was emerging to two leaf stage. It does not handle it well at all...

Comment

At 100 Km/h, I am beginning to see the lentils turning "BROWN" from the bottom up.

NOT GOOD!
              Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 21, 2016, 12:11.

Comment

Oh oh way more lentils contracted than will be available, graincos licking there chops. Too wet thats mothernature not AOG.

Comment

Canola full flower but starting to shutdown after 17 days, durum full of headblight,fuzz,blackpoint,smudge,smut, barley showing fuzz, peas actually look decent where not drowned out, lentils are thick moldy and expecting roughly 1/2 the yield of normal here if we even get them. Absolutely zero harvest happening on this farm in August.

Comment

I will be spraying first seeded peas within 18-20 days .
                    Crops vary from average to very good
                    Some canola will have very high numbers in certain fields if sclero don't get too much
                    My guess is that sclero about to show it ugly head in certain areas around here . Will be not as good but will have far less disease issues - will be interesting
                    I seen big drown out dead spots around Meota from last heavy rains .
                    Early crops

Comment

We drove to Wilcox tonight, big-time hail, lots of lentils bit the dust.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...