• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

South African Boers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post

There are some South Africans who bought farmland in Western Canada already. Is it possible to leave South Africa with your capital. Is the land actually saleable or has it become worthless.
    From what I understand the Government there can come to your farm with a compulsory purchase order at a value of their choosing and you have to sell. If it's half what it's worth you are just out of luck. One thing Canada (federal and provincial governments) could do would be to waive or reduce the requirements to prove you have so many hundred thousand dollars to invest in farmland through the business immigration programs in the circumstance where you had been force to flee SA with little or no equity.

Then again should the same offer not be made to a Syrian farmer or farmers elsewhere dispossessed of their land through war or genocide?

There are certainly cases historically where governments have brought in persecuted groups and it has proven a great boon for the adopting country. Perhaps none more so than the east Indians expelled from Uganda under Idi Amin's regime in 1972. Britain took 30,000 or so (and Canada 6000 I read) and they have risen to the top of every part of British life. There are many Patels on the richest people list as well as these Ugandans being in politics, top doctors etc.

Comment

If you guys don't think we're well on our way here to giving the land back to the natives, or at least control of it, you're not paying attention. All these yuppies and dumb ass hipsters with their white remorse feel the need to repent for the sins committed 5-10 generations ago.

Comment

"If you guys don't think we're well on our way here"

Go through these entries and weep, because this is what life is like for SA farmers in 2016:

https://www.censorbugbear.org/farmitracker/reports

Comment

farmaholic says

"I take so much for granted. I've had a very stable, peaceful existence so far!"

So do I. So I found it difficult to believe what is happening to farmers in SA. Pars.

Comment

bucket says
            "Good idea to bring actual farmers into canada because Brads oil workers haven't finished selling their toys and can't work for less money"

So your reason for bringing SA farmers in, is cheap labour?

Comment

How do Av'ers feel about some of the grower orgs making a recommendation to bring in SA farmers as refugees?

Comment

Parsley.

No. That's not my intent. Sorry I said it that way and it was interpreted that way.

No ... there is an incredible opportunity to rebuild rural Saskatchewan with people that would offer much to this country.

But I also feel that way about hard working oil workers that may be looking for something different.

Comment

And good to have you posting again.

Miss your logic.

Comment

Get them out of there,hell or high water,that war was lost years ago.

Comment

Nope. Don't want them. We don't need anymore competition from foreigners or foreign treasuries.

South Africans have their Apartheid policy now being turned around and handed back to them. Who's the "Kaffir" now?

This refugee thing is out of line also. Judging nowadays what actually qualities one as a refugee is getting a bit sketchy. If everybody in the world keeps flooding into Canada claiming refugee status, we'll be the ones ending up refugees.

They'd never last anyway. It's too harsh and unforgiving an environment for most. That's in terms of weather, gov't policy, and economics.

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
                        Nope. Don't want them. We don't need anymore competition from foreigners.
                        A bit rich in a country of immigrants. Besides there needs to be a huge land transfer on the prairies in the coming decades. The 60something grainfarmers aren't replacing themselves - can't be farming 100 quarters when they're 90!

They'd never last anyway. It's too harsh and unforgiving an environment for most. That's in terms of weather, gov't policy, and economics.
                        On the contrary - I'd suggest these people are used to a lot harsher climate in many respects and they've certainly been through the wringer with Government policy the last decade.

Comment

Of the immigrants here more than half haven't lasted a full decade.

Yes we're a country of immigrants. That doesn't mean I like to see any more of them.

Re South Africans, the ones that immigrated to South Dakota are a big problem. Attitudes, cultural issues, even crime.

Comment

Of the immigrants here more than half haven't lasted a full decade.

Yes we're a country of immigrants. That doesn't mean I like to see any more of them.

Re South Africans, the ones that immigrated to South Dakota are a big problem. Attitudes, cultural issues, even crime.
                            I heard there were problems of that nature with the Somali immigrants in SD but not the South Africans - care to elaborate?

Comment

Here's a further point: Many posters here were against Syrian refugees being brought to Canada mainly because of their Islamic faith. But, South Africans are ok? Many are bigoted as shit. They're not all as nice as Charlize Theron.

Comment

We have a neighbour originally from South Dakota (he actually works for a German immigrant here). His family still farms/ranches there. The problem people are Afrikaners. They bought farmland in a block. They are acting like Hutterites but with a cultural chip on their shoulder. Their children have been involved in some criminal activities no doubt having trouble fitting in. They have zero tolerance for the Arikara people on nearby reservation.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...