• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early canola round here...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early canola round here...

Surprise! Not a good one. Done flowering only a foot of pod at most.... lots of blanks and thin.

30 to 35 tops.

Hope later is better...

So 35bpa canola is a shitty crop for you? What is a good one. You can't make money at 300-350 per acre. I've always said it, if your relying on 30 bpa canola every year to make money your ****ed. What is the province average I bet it's less than 30!

Comment

I think the average yield last year was about 38 bpa.

Comment

Canola has to yield lots to cover the short fall on the poor wht/bly/oat prices..

With all the goodies we put into our canola..Yes under 40 is a dissapointment...

Some early fields here bloomed 2 weeks..

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
          Canola has to yield lots to cover the short fall on the poor wht/bly/oat prices..

With all the goodies we put into our canola..Yes under 40 is a dissapointment...

Some early fields here bloomed 2 weeks..
          Are you seeing the same thing over there?

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post

That part is true......

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sk Canola yearly yield.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	764983

Yes I noticed that too. I think the later crops will be better. Maybe much better.

Comment

Canola here has pods that look like bananas. ....unreal!

;-)

Go Riders. ....

Comment

Yup, a lot of canola is shutting down after only two weeks of full bloom, max. Not a great sign. Strange, considering conditions have been cool and damp. Maybe too damp?

My canola is later, but is struggling BADLY because it was not using water at all during the last 2 weeks of snotty weather, I have flatter, heavier land than many around here, and so it has been prematurely bolting far before it should be. And I would say my cereal stubble fields I lost a good 40 % to out and out drowning.

I dunno what the deal is with the short bloom period. I do not think I have seen that before under cool conditions. Too wet, unseen saturation? Last year my canola literally died from rain, but was podded at the time, so it did not really matter in the end. Went from green to dead ripe in a matter of 5 days. My theory would be that it is too dang wet and too many rains causing poor pollen shedding and shutting down the plants prematurely?

Comment

Canola bloomed here for about 3 weeks or so. In my opinion 2 weeks blooming will keep you at 30 40 bu on nice lookjng canooy. 4 weeks blooming is a 50 plus bin buster. Its been cool and cloudy in mb all july, not seing much blasting. Yields will be good for areas not nailed with excess rain.

Comment

Our earliest canola was blooming before Farm Progress and is still flowering. It is fantastic. Some will be a harvest challenge. Straight cut will hopefully help.

Comment

Last year hot and dry during flowering, maybe flowered for 10 days. About a foot of pods. Looked sad. Ended up best canola crop I ever had. This year it is almost done but has bloomed for 3 weeks. Looks very good much better than last year. Time will tell with canola I never try to guess.

Comment

Our early canola has had me on a roller coaster this year. We seeded early (may 4th-may9th) and it looked good out of the ground. Then it seemed to stress and bolt prematurely. I cancelled the fungicide and decided not to order any new bins. Then it slowly started to look better and better. Now it looks quite nice and is just finishing flowering and I kind of wish I would have fungicided. I would guess it is a 40 but who knows.

Comment

Will heavy downpours damage flowering canola? Seems like we have a band through the pod layer where there are more blanks than there should be considering the wonderful conditions we've been having. Yes, also those "banana pods" in that same layer. Thinking the pollination was hurt by the heavy rain. ?

Comment

Heavy rain and canola is the same as temps over 28 you lose yield. Rain in excess makes mud not big yields! Early looks poorer and is shutting down!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...