• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lodged canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lodged canola

So what happens to canola when it's kind of 1/2 assed lying down after 4.5" of rain?? Was almost full bloom. Not that fields are completely lodged but some show 30-50% kind of leaning or lying low now. Looks kind of ragged and shitty. Invigor L252 if that makes a difference. Very heavy crops standing 4.5' foot tall.

Around here I would call that normal. Makes swathing and combining more fun. One of the reasons I like growing canola on really productive ground, much better than flat cereal cereals.

Comment

Lodged canola at blooming is not normal, and it is not good. If it is really lodged, it will struggle to restand, and the stems will curve back up to an extent, but they will not be able to hold any kind of seed fill, so in my experience, it will try, but fail, and end up flatter than it is now. That is if it is lodged quite bad at the bloom stage.

Comment

I had canola that tipped over way too easy once.i thought it was because I applied the second Roundup a bit late.just a theory.did not know for sure.

Comment

Agree with free...

Had a1/4 of 45h76 that went flat at about 90% flower last year. Took a yield hit of about 40%.

Comment

With logded canola stems will bend up to the sky. The big risk is where stalks touch, schlerotina will spread like mad. Usually ends in a stem rot nightmare which is hard to harvest.

Comment

If its that badly lodged, leave the swather in the shed this fall, and straight combine it. Way easier.

Comment

If you can put some fungicide on it - do it. I once had a monster crop coming and it was lodging when I was applying fungicide. Spot I missed was loaded with disease and yielded about half.

Comment

It was all sprayed with proline a day before it got hammered wtith the latest monsoon.

Comment

Canola on West side just south of the new SWT.looks amazing to me.That must be close to you jd green

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...