• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grain bags (again)

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grain bags (again)

Are guys still buying these or has the bloom faded? I'm debating building bins on rented land (long term unless...) or bagging in the field.
    What do you guys who've been using them for a few years think? Do you still like them or just use them because you have them?

Only need about 20,000 bushels storage but at 3 different rented locations.

put up some hoppers.....
    I expect to be forced to use some this fall, but I don't like them. Especially if the railways get clogged up again.

Comment

Originally posted by nicolaas View Post
      put up some hoppers.....
      I expect to be forced to use some this fall, but I don't like them. Especially if the railways get clogged up again.

Hoppers can be moved if your lease runs out. Only a couple thousand in moving cost. Plus maybe if there is power on one of those pieces you can add a bit of aeration if needed. Wet grain in a bag is like an Italian sausage in a glovebox in August.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronski View Post
        Are guys still buying these or has the bloom faded? I'm debating building bins on rented land (long term unless...) or bagging in the field.
        What do you guys who've been using them for a few years think? Do you still like them or just use them because you have them?

Only need about 20,000 bushels storage but at 3 different rented locations.
        Don't even waste your time for 20,000 bushel space in grain bags. Factor in the cost of the equipment and cost per bag per bushel , and you are way better off to lease/buy 20,000 bushels of hopper bottom bins on skids. Hopper buns are easy to move, and easy to sell if ever need be. Get a wet fall were you need an extra 20,000 bushels of wet space, and your hopper bins will make it way more convenient to handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by Koldkanuck View Post
          Don't even waste your time for 20,000 bushel space in grain bags. Factor in the cost of the equipment and cost per bag per bushel , and you are way better off to lease/buy 20,000 bushels of hopper bottom bins on skids. Hopper buns are easy to move, and easy to sell if ever need be. Get a wet fall were you need an extra 20,000 bushels of wet space, and your hopper bins will make it way more convenient to handle it.
          So are there any bargains to be had in hopper bins? I had to get some last fall as that was the only fast enough solution, but I have trouble justifying $4 or $5 per bushel?

Comment

Their just another tool. If they work for your specific circumstances. Obviously if you have the cash buy bins. Bags can be great, or a great pain in the ass.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...