• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Well Spraying in crop season is done and now were on to Fungicides. Its easy to see how the most important machine on the farm is the sprayer.
    I see Versatile had the big intro of the new collector series limited edition tractors. Congrats to the guys to were there and got to see big Roy run Again.
    I did get out on the road this week picking up a few Antiques I purchased and one thing is certain, This crop is a long way from the bin. It isn't Wall to wall perfect and lots and lots are counting there chickens before they hatch. Reminds me of the year I was building a bunch of bins and then on July 5th a storm took out 21 quarters with hail. Yea they had grain filled in them in fall but a lot of my old bins were empty. Simply till its in the pit and you get the check its not a Bumper.
    Well here we go.
    HRS is doing ok but one thing I did find this week is Wet flooded fields never recover even if you luck out and miss a few down pours or storms. Thin is always thin and you can give it every single thing till the come home, But Mud is always a dud. So out of all our HRS I would say 1/3 is excellent. 1/3 is good and 1/3 is not so great but still ok. Fungicides are going on as canopy is wet all day. crawl out in crop and you can feel the moisture. No midge but Chem reps would sure like to see them. Sale sale sale. Some leaf disease is also present but most is mild.
    Durum actually is filling in not bad on the experiment seed fields. Big heads coming but thin and lots of tillers. Spraying will take place on weekend again. second app.
    Oats in area is nice we dropped crop this year.
    Barley is headed or just finishing and is thick actually to thick. One half section near buy is flat from yesterdays rain. Most sprayed at head in boot and looks great.
    Flax has bounced back and filling in not bad yellow areas are there but smaller and thin is thin.
    Soy fields are looking real good and real early potential is high if August rains materialize. But then peas and lentils will be in the ditch.
    Lentils the guys who tried again or newbies have to spray and spray and maybe a third time. Lots of bush not much seed.
    Corn in area is wow and growing great.
    Canola this week I have seen some Wow finished flowering and shutting down to just seeing rows and cabbage to is that a canola crop. It seems the markets think we have bumper coming and farmers are talking to reporters how wonderful they are doing. Yea three inch rain on way flowers are aborted same as the heat over 28. Just saying if may be lots of plant matter but just a normal yield. Plus its still 60 days from the bin. Its same as our wheat. 1/3 is thick 1/3 is ok and 1/3 is ugly but filling in since the flood may long.
    Peas don't like water nd in our area that is true. Flooded early areas are dead then yellow and sick and then like others nice tall and poding. Out of all the acres seeded we have around 600 left rest are not worth harvesting or dead.
    So lets hope the big rain doesn't hit and every one gets to hay spray and relax a little. Its just a crop that the market is salivating on how it will take all that excess grain and profit. Big yields for farmers is big profit for grain companies watch the railways will go on strike or they will find a new grading formula or something like the lentil shit show some years back, oh your contract was for a number one at 40 cents to bad you don't have the grade but we have a special number 3 extra for 12 cents that we will take all you grow. Ah farming what a winning combination.
    So be safe and remember its just a crop and the ones at home are way more important. Go fishing its free all weekend in Saskatchewan.

Have not seen aster yellows disease yet this year.
    Virus disease transmitted by leaf hopper insects and so damaging to canola in 2012.
    Have seen small amounts many years, has tended to be more in later crop.

Comment

I get the feeling there are going to be some big quality issues this year, that all the fungicide apps in the world won't alleviate. Lentils and durum could be in big trouble. Canola will probably flourish with the extra moisture. Spring wheat and barley may also take it on the chin. Peas...for those that didn't rot already will be at risk of getting sick here now(ours have hung in there amazingly well but some in the area are sucking a bit). Soy should be enjoying this wet weather.

Everything looks good here(remember its relative to what I am used to, for some of you "good" farmers it may be average).

I want two weeks of dry weather. Use up some of the moisture in the ground.

Little shots of hail are beginning to threaten...maybe one of these times it will be an assault.

Steady rain here right now. 7 tenths, not excessive but not needed either.

G-RAIN...... rain makes up 80% of "grain"

Comment

Crops are suffering here. Lots look decent, but a lot of drowned out. With the forecast rains, there is big trouble on the horizon for this area. Mine personally, are in pretty rough shape. Way too wet. Because of spring combining, my canola is much smaller, and small crops not using water, do not do as well with wet conditions.

Need some sunshine and heat already.

Comment

Look at those tracks that JD sprayer is leaving - yikes!

Comment

It rains here every day...No wind..keeps the crops soaked all day and night..Nuff said..

Comment

My canola is the same freewheat. One field not bad the other one too small and poor drainage on the quarter looking very rough. Made a loop down past Kelvington and over to Quill Lake wow there are some massive drown outs lots of nice crops too though.

Comment

Raining again. F@ck More Litres, of water

Comment

Did some counts today. Mustard should run 22-30 depending on how the last flowers finish. Lentils are heavy but starting to pod so who knows. Peas took it on the chin last couple of weeks with it being hot and dry followed by heavy rain. Lots of dropped flowers. There's still 4-6 pods per plant averaging 7 peas. Should go 40 no problem and could hit 60 if they are big seeds. Saffrons are pretty much done flowering, amarillos are still trying to push some mo flowers. I did a quick count on the Copeland on a hill top and it could go 135. That being said it's hail season so who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by ado089 View Post
                    Did some counts today. Mustard should run 22-30 depending on how the last flowers finish. Lentils are heavy but starting to pod so who knows. Peas took it on the chin last couple of weeks with it being hot and dry followed by heavy rain. Lots of dropped flowers. There's still 4-6 pods per plant averaging 7 peas. Should go 40 no problem and could hit 60 if they are big seeds. Saffrons are pretty much done flowering, amarillos are still trying to push some mo flowers. I did a quick count on the Copeland on a hill top and it could go 135. That being said it's hail season so who knows.

What do you use for a rule of thumb on peas?

Mine is 1 pea per plant 1 bushel and that is fairly close

Our early amarillo have 16 to 22 pods per plant and 5 to 7 peas. I'm not going to guess yield but if they miss hail it will be a huge crop

Comment

How did you arrive at the number for Copeland?

Comment

Peas per plant x plants per sqft x 220-250 /1000 x 43560/1000x2.204/60

Peas are tricky since the size can vary so much. I normally pick the shitiest spot in the field to do counts so I'm not disappointed.

Comment

Barley is about 42-45g per tkw

Comment

Absolutely pouring here. Canola is now screwed for good as far as I can tell. Getting too late for recovery. Creeks running like spring.

Glad I never cut much hay, hate to have it all float away.

Ado. You do a bit of organic now, don't you? How are you able to only do part of your land. I thought that was a no no. I am simply wondering about following hay in my rotation for a couple years, then back to conventional to reset the system. From what I can tell tho, they frown on this for some stupid reason. Too effective I suppose.

Comment

I do some organic. They are pushing me to convert all of it but I've been pushing it off by telling them I'm doing a 5 year feasibility study. The other option is to do it under a separate entity. I have a feeling I'll have to pull the organic out of my Corp and run it personally then charge "custom farming" back to the Corp. It's stupid since I think Canada is the only place with the rule that it has to all or nothing. The really stupid part is now they know what I'm growing conventialy so I can't do parallel production but if I was to spin it off I coul
                              d grow what ever I wanted on both.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...