• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well it's started...writing off canola ...frying it off.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it's started...writing off canola ...frying it off.

Well its started in our area, west of Kamsack. Farmer just fried off 3 1/4's of his canola to start geting ready for winter wheat. First the frost killed it. Then after reseeding, and spraying for flea beetles..., and double shots of spray for what ever else the $17.00 a pound seed needed.........it forgot to rain. Now the sprayer went for the 4th time to toast of what little did emerge, to make some summerfallow. Doing a drive by in a big area around here, its funny how you can go a few miles, and the canola looks fair but if it dont rain in a few days, it wont amount to much. Cereals look the same...you can see crop circles were its drying out by the hour. Talked to a crop insurance worker, and he said the phones are ringing off the hooks. Had to hire a few people just to answer the phone so they could put you on hold. Next few days supposed to be in the 30's and its still June. A few more days without rain in this area, more farmers will be working under some crops. I'm 63, and have never seen a June as dry as this in my area, and hear its the same for June in other areas similar to the Parkland area. Maybe another $20 an acre of micro ****ing nutrients might help.......what say?

I'd bet Omex would have a miracle spray. Sorry to hear about the crops. Terrible for u guys,from flood to drought in one yr

Comment

They are burning up on the west side of sask. 30 and a wind today making it tough. Weekend suppose to be hotter. 2002 all over

Comment

Charlie , Errol - how do you market that ??

Comment

Should he go buy puts , calls , neglect to feed his family to feed the experts in the markets ??
          Sorry, should not be a presonal shot at either but a reality check too all .

Comment

Been there , done that - lost my shirt and almost my family and farm in 2000 to 2004 . Have not priced a bus and will not till harvest now - if it happens . *** the markets . Make the best of what you get when you get it . Not professional advice - just weathered advice ....

Comment

Heard a good one the other day.
              Consider a foliar product with your herbicide. The roots are having a hard time finding nutrients because of low soil moisture.
              Wow. The lowest stave in the barrel is water for petes sake. Any half assed weed control in crop now you know your spending insurance money. So far worst case scenario. Cash flow wise far far worse than 02. 05 was abysmal from frost and $2 feed wheat.

Comment

I heard a good one today as well - from a Syngenta rep .
                "The recent rain showers have opened spores in the soil and splashed the dirt up onto the leaves leaving them susceptible to disease , fungicides should be considered but not in hot weather" this was after 8 weeks if dry weather and nothing less than 30 c in the forecast and one rain with a shower - OMG !! WTF..

Comment

Three of the most effective fungicides in the world
                  1 sun
                  2 wind
                  3 dry

Comment

Actually it started long ago - two weeks or so - with crops being written off in the SW . But I hear ya

Comment

What are you drinkin tonight Furrow on red wine myself they say its good for the heart but wish I had a bottle of cc or crown.

Comment

Lol - simply not enough -but done for the night.

Comment

You can always pick it up tomorrow morning and get back at it...

Not spraying so there's nothing better to do,
                          but then again what is better...

Comment

SLB opens in a few hours off to a good start.

Comment

Should never have to wait for the store to open. Poor planning if you run out!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...