• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minister Raitt launches review of Canada's transportation legislation

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minister Raitt launches review of Canada's transportation legislation

The Honourable Lisa Raitt, Minister of Transport, today launched a statutory review of Canada's transportation legislation a year ahead of schedule, fulfilling the government's promise made this spring to accelerate the review.

The review is being done a year earlier than required to address a range of changing conditions and challenges, including those related to the transportation of grain on the Prairies. It will also examine what improvements could be made in a number of areas, including: our strategic transportation gateways and corridors; Canada's transportation safety and environmental regimes; the role of technological innovation in improving transportation services and infrastructure; the safe movement of goods through communities; support for the northern transportation system; federally regulated passenger rail services; the vitality of our aviation sector and air connectivity; and governance and service delivery for key federal operations, assets, and agencies..

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do;jsessionid=859294189fa8da6f3cb66b49939bc86d3 149bdfc42e00ebf0f474e480381219d.e34Rc3iMbx8Oai0Tbx 0SaxqPahj0?mthd=advSrch&crtr.page=1&crtr.dpt1D=669 5&nid=861919&crtr.tp1D=1

Sounds like some politicians are in need of some brown paper bags loaded with cash with the drop in the back alley. The railways will pay off the politicians and their staffers so nothing will change.

What is there to study, the rail transportation system in Canada is, for lack of a better term, ****ED.

And has been for decades.

For you mental giants that haven't figured out how the trucking industry has thrived in Canada - its because of the railways. They pushed the traffic onto the public highway system for the taxpayer to pick up the tab. It also created a massive consumption of diesel with the trucks on the road.

Comment

Bucket. Didn't you talk all winter about due dillegence?

What's your solution going forward?

Comment

Sure I can list a bunch of reasonable solutions which I have told to MPs staffers who are too ****ing stupid to understand the concepts.

For instance twin the line for the increased exports and bring back the traffic currently on trucks.

Build better and larger storage that allows grain to move consistently year round. This idea of farmer storage doesn't get the grain closer to port or better positioned. Look at the potash cartel as an example.

Start looking at a north American solution instead of just a Canadian one. There is no reason not to have access to the Mississippi.

Create a logistics group to handle all commodities fairly instead of pitting industries against one snother for rail space .

First thing would be to put all groups using the rails together and have them with one voice, tell the railways to smarten the **** up. And then lobby the government for joint running rights. Some shippers have the finances to buy a few locomotives, since they own boats already. I think n.m. Paterson does that business.

I could give you a few more but I don't get paid to do this thinking. Let your buddy Ritz and his colleague raitt figure it out. Now that's funny. Considering Ritz and hermanson are basically a stones throw away from each other and rode the same planes home each weekend its mighty amazing that hermanson identified the problems in 1997 and neither have done SFA since.

Comment

And by due diligence when Ritz opened up the market - transparent reporting throughout the industry should have been implemented.

They made a public order in council and have been as quiet as church mice about railways performances since.

I doubt Ritz and raitt grasp it.

Just look at the work the surface transporation board has done in the states. Raitt should have been all over the railways in november.

And yes I was making calls back then. They chose to ignore my concerns.

Comment

I am optimistic good will come from this review and will lead to more competition on the rails.

On the radio they interviewed Ritz today and the US logistics groups even have concerns with CPR hurting their business by not moving enough grain south!

Comment

Who on the committee is speaking for producers?

Comment

Probably someone like gust. Pocket change.

Comment

Murad has never been a farmer. Never claimed to be. Although I would suspect if it's good for the processing side, the benefits would flow down.

Looks to me lots of sectors got missed. Could have just as easily appointed Bill Doyle from POT

Who would you appoint Vicci?

Comment

Not one farmer. Really.

No industry affected by this thing represented.

And a year and a half to review.

Holy ____, is this a liberal or NDP government?

Might as well be.

Comment

First person I would call woulkd be Larry Weber.

Comment

The biggest problem is that no one wants to sue cn or cp for fear of being black balled even thought that is precisely what needs to happen.

Comment

Ado. Just because you don't know about level of service complaints. Doesn't mean they are not happening.

Bucket. I like Larry. But for this type of review he would be out of his depth pretty quickly.

Maybe on some sort of futures exchange review but not this.

Comment

I'm not talking about level of service complaints, I'm talking about court action for damages, recouped demurage, storage, ect. The rail system IS NOT a free enterprise and IS NOT Subject to competition. These companies need to be smacked so hard they either learn to play well with others or they are broke and split up to provide some meaningful competition.

Comment

Really, He is the only guy putting out a railway watch. Don't see the WCWGA asking for publicly disclosed info.

Larry Weber's left fingernail knows more than you and your team of ass kissing conservative larks.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...