• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planting intensions for soft wheat

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planting intensions for soft wheat

Seems the elevator agents and neighbours I talk to plenty seem to be wanting to drop the hard red for soft wheat. Anyone got any info on planted area of the different wheat classes? The soft wheat planting intensions may scare me somewhat. All on account of one year of too much high protien wheat, fusarium, and soft wheat yeilds higher than normal, poor barley results. Not sure I want to stay in this band wagon.

Just to add half my soft wheat this year left the country via Vancouver, that market may not be lucrative next year.

Comment

when the crowd stampedes through one door, look for the side door....

Comment

Possibly with the CWB not in control we may find there is a massive market for soft wheats and other types than hard red.

Comment

Check the date:

Russian farmers not a threat, says wheat board
          Last Updated: Monday, June 28, 2004 | 5:01 PM CT
          CBC News

The chair of the Canadian Wheat Board is not paying too much attention to a new report from Australia about Russian farming.
          The report warns that Russia, Kazakhstan and Ukraine are dramatically increasing their production of grain. By 2008, the report says, Russia will be exporting seven million tonnes of wheat and three million tonnes of coarse grain – which could force down world prices by at least 15 cents per bushel.
          Wheat board chair Ken Ritter says that may be true, but Russia does not produce the high-quality wheat that Canada does.
          "Their strategic direction is likely toward producing a fair volume of grain and rebuilding their livestock herd for the protein requirements of their citizens," he says.
          Even if it did, he says the country would still have problems getting that wheat to market.
          "A lot of their grain-growing area is still quite a ways inland, so they have a lot of transportation and storage problems," he says. "Their farm machinery is still two or three generations behind ours, and so they got a long way to go."
          However, Larry Weber, a commodity analyst in Saskatoon, says Canada should be paying more attention to the report. Weber says it's time Canadian farmers start asking some tough questions.
          "Should we not think of providing a lower-quality grain to compete with these people, which is going to yield substantially better than red spring wheat," he says.
          Ritter says that is not the way to make Canadian farmers more competitive.

Comment

I notice guys making good money growing AC andrew wheat. The Hard red spring wheat isn't making enough of a premium to cover the yield lost to andrew.

35 bu at 8.5 = 297.50 HRSW

50 bpa at 7.5 = 375.00 Andrew

25 bpa at 13.00 = 325 Canola

And guys are looking at those numbers and crunching them at home and at different meetings. I think the Andrew wheat price might soften but it could go to 6 bucks new crop and you would be no worse than the HRSWs.

Great foresight Weber! And people accuse you of not looking out for farmers' interests.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...