• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

red lentils!!!!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

red lentils!!!!

i see viterra mj had a 1000 tonne special for small reds today. .18 1/2 cents.

iam waiting for .20cents, how about anyone else?? how long do you think before we see .20cents??

If they don't hit the high twenties before seeding time, no one will be putting in any acres next year.

I can already price $8.10/bus. wheat for next October. So that's what the Lentil market has to compete against.

Comment

There are a gazillion reds out there. We all want 20 trade knows that so know reason to put price up. Price werent 20 last spring and the acres must have went in or we would have seen better prices by now. If Indias crop turns out look out.

Comment

at 18 cents the reds still go in next spring
        a)because everyone will think no one else is gonna be crazy enough to grow them at these "ludicrous prices" and they are gonna outsmart the industry
        b)in the grand scheme of things 18 cents is still gonna pencil out as good or better than anything else that lentils is actually going to be competing with for acres - which wheat is not.
        c) if it remains dry in many lentil growing regions guys will not chance the high input alternatives like canola

in my area we have just seen lentils come in the last few years very heavy again however in traditional lentil areas we need to get to 15 to actually begin to discourage acres that make a difference...

Comment

ahhh. catching the 'sleeper' huh? I have neighbors who try that some years. Mostly oats... not worth a damn, no
          one's gonna grow them, I'm going to corner the market... Apparently enough try it that the industry just takes it
          from them when the farmers need the bin space and are sick of waiting for their price. LOL you don't have to farm
          for more than 5 years to realize that's chasing a fantasy. Contracting to your insurance levels on a crop when you
          see a great profit and playing the market with the rest still trumps trying to 'corner the market' with your
          measly 30 thousand bushels of oats or millet, or canary seed, or red lentils..

I can't wait for the day that we can contract with end users for a great price to plant what they need. No
          bullshit excuses why it's no good after we harvest it, act of god contract to take whatever we grow at a good
          price or **** it, we'll use our land and machinery to grow something else... It's like jumping in the seat of a
          new Cat 570R when you're used to an old 915... This is the reality boys, we're in the drivers seat here, all we
          have to do is take the controls and go!

Comment

I was a cattle farmer up until a couple years ago. I know more than 99.9% of Canada's population about how to
            deliver a calf and raise it to sale age. I was told that the reason my calves didn't sell well at an auction
            mart was that they were 'too deep' !!! Yup. They were too good and the buyers didn't want good calves that day.
            That's the ****ing day I made the decision to liquidate my cattle herd. I spend my winters in Mexico now. I will
            never have cattle around this farm again. Canada just lost another cattleman who could feed them if given a
            living wage/return on investment and they don't even know or care. **** 'em. Get your beef from Brazil for all I
            care now.

Comment

Tucker you understand the reality, of production.
              Any one can build it, grow it , etc. the challenge is
              marketing and distribution at competitive prices
              (providing at customer a better product or more
              value than they currently receive)

The customer is always right. How are you going
              to deal with and react when the buyer cancels his
              order with you, due to a better product, price
              dropping, or other more competitive suppliers to
              that same end user? The free market is always,
              adapting and changing, evaluating the cost,
              quality, logistics etc. why is the market not
              knocking down your doors? They know who you
              are, where you live, they have the same Internet
              connections you do.

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Comment

Tucker, I am envious of your choice, Mexico.

Comment

Tucker. Thanks for the insight.

I still have cattle, I think my son might want to do that later and we have good cows.

But I listen to these new cattle guys say how good prices are and I laugh. I was getting 1.35 for steers back before BSE. When you consider pasture, machinery and time these guys are making less than I was over a decade ago. But they are happy.

Cattle men should be making over 2 bucks a pound for a 500 weight steer.

Its sad but I can make more money on a couple Bs of flax than keeping cows year round.

And I have never had flax kick me in the knees.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...