• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crop Insurance's Spring Price Endorsement versus Put Options??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crop Insurance's Spring Price Endorsement versus Put Options??

Question for Charlie and others. Should I be buying Spring Price Endorsement, or Put options?

SPE strike price is $11/bushel, or 485/tonne, doesn`t kick in until 9.90/bushel, or 436.5/tonne.
    Cost is roughly $14.70/tonne, if I take 60% coverage.

Buying a $500 Put on the WCE would cost around 11.30/tonne plus commission.

The SPE is worthless unless the Nov futures drops below around that 460 level = 436.5 basis, (What is the exact basis that they use???)

On the other hand, a $500 Put would be worth quite a bit as it approaches the strike price. It looks to me like the Put is the more flexible, valuable, and the more cost effective option?

I looked at Bean Oil Puts too, but they look like they are more expensive for an equivalent level of coverage?

Or am I missing something?

I should have mentioned that I was specifically talking about canola.

Comment

No one else venturing an opinion and I am to far away to really comment (actually can do the work even in Vietnam via the magic of the internet but brain/body is on holidays). Ask the question in two weeks when I am home and hopefully we can get some discussion going. April 30 the deadline and would leave decision until last half April.

Comment

Thanks Charlie,
        Things may change by then too.
        Enjoy your vacation.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...