• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A 'free market' monetary system?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A 'free market' monetary system?

Charlie et el;

This is a very interesting analysis...

"If I were responsible for the policy of any one of the great banks in this country, I would begin to offer to the public both loans and current accounts in a unit which I undertook to keep stable in value in terms of a defined index number. I have no doubt, and I believe that most economists agree with me on that particular point, that it is technically possible so to control the value of any token money which is used in competition with other token monies as to fulfill the promise to keep its value stable. The essential point which I can not emphasize strongly enough is that we would get for the first time a money where the whole business of issuing money could be effected only by the issuer issuing good money. He would know that he would at once lose his extremely profitable business if it became known that his money was threatening to depreciate. He would lose it to a competitor who offered better money.

As I said before, I believe this is our only hope at the present time. I do not see the slightest prospect that with the present type of, I emphasize, the present type of democratic government under which every little group can force the government to serve its particular needs, government, even if it were restricted by strict law, can ever again give us good money. At present the prospects are really only a choice between two alternatives: either continuing an accelerating open inflation, which is, as you all know, absolutely destructive of an economic system or a market order; but I think much more likely is an even worse alternative: government will not cease inflating, but will, as it has been doing, try to suppress the open effects of this inflation; it will be driven by continual inflation into price controls, into increasing direction of the whole economic system. It is therefore now not merely a question of giving us better money, under which the market system will function infinitely better than it has ever done before, but of warding off the gradual decline into a totalitarian, planned system, which will, at least in this country, not come because anybody wants to introduce it, but will come step by step in an effort to suppress the effects of the inflation which is going on."

http://mises.org/story/3204

About the Author

F.A. Hayek (1899–1992) was a founding board member of the Mises Institute. He shared the 1974 Nobel Prize in Economics with ideological rival Gunnar Myrdal "for their pioneering work in the theory of money and economic fluctuations and for their penetrating analysis of the interdependence of economic, social and institutional phenomena."

My question is... how would transparency be assured while manipulation by the many huge entities be prevented...?

"When a little over two years ago, at the second Lausanne Conference of this group, I threw out, almost as a sort of bitter joke, that there was no hope of ever again having decent money, unless we took from government the monopoly of issuing money and handed it over to private industry, I took it only half seriously. But the suggestion proved extraordinarily fertile. Following it up I discovered that I had opened a possibility which in two thousand years no single economist had ever studied. There were quite a number of people who have since taken it up and we have devoted a great deal of study and analysis to this possibility.

As a result I am more convinced than ever that if we ever again are going to have a decent money, it will not come from government: it will be issued by private enterprise, because providing the public with good money which it can trust and use can not only be an extremely profitable business; it imposes on the issuer a discipline to which the government has never been and cannot be subject. It is a business which competing enterprise can maintain only if it gives the public as good a money as anybody else.

Now, fully to understand this, we must free ourselves from what is a widespread but basically wrong belief. Under the Gold Standard, or any other metallic standard, the value of money is not really derived from gold. The fact is, that the necessity of redeeming the money they issue in gold, places upon the issuers a discipline which forces them to control the quantity of money in an appropriate manner; I think it is quite as legitimate to say that under a gold standard it is the demand of gold for monetary purposes which determines that value of gold, as the common belief that the value which gold has in other uses determines the value of money. The gold standard is the only method we have yet found to place a discipline on government, and government will behave reasonably only if it is forced to do so.

I am afraid I am convinced that the hope of ever again placing on government this discipline is gone..."

"[A lecture delivered at the Gold and Monetary Conference, New Orleans, November 10, 1977. It made its first appearance in print in the Journal of Libertarian Studies, Volume 3, Number 1.]"

VERY INTERESTING !!!

Comment

Economics was figured out hundreds of years ago,ever once in a while we have tried to bend those "scientific laws".And then the those laws kick us in the teeth for being dumb.Its the same as throwing a hammer over your head and saying "gravity doesnt exist"and then the hammer lands on your head.Hopefully you die and Darwin wins and your stupid ass gene pool goes the way of the dodo bird.

The consequences of those actions fill the history books.

Right now our own history book is being written.Just turn on your t.v.

Comment

Q:
        My question is... how would transparency be assured while manipulation by the many huge entities be prevented...?
        A:
        Have real Conservatives in government, Tom.

Comment

I have even a better idea Tom, give the printing press to the farmers, they at least will spend the money at the grass roots and build money from the bottom up.

This top down stuff does not seem to be working.

However I am sure when Flaherty visited the banks on the last day he asked "is 125 billion enough?" For now?"

Comment

I attended an agriculture 2009 outlook meeting this past week put on by an entertaining economics educated man. He placed the full blame for our present world meltdown on bankers and greed. (Someone above just killed off a high percentage of people with a huge bag of hammers they threw in the air). This economist went on to explain that consumer confidence is at its lowest level since 1929. According to his charts the average recession lasts 3.2 years, but it took to 1954 before the DOW finally rose past pre crash 1929 levels. Fear (consumer confidence)curtained investment for a whole generation of people, because those kids saw what the 1929 crash did to their parents. I'm hoping that this is what happens this time around. Whatever happened to the concept of pay as you go, if you haven't got the money in your pocket you do not need it, and if you haven't paid for it,you don't own it?

Comment

People always seem to forget about an important fact of 1929.

The gold standard was in place.
              Gold was 20 dollars an ounce.
              Roosevelt came in and confiscated it.Can you believe that?
              At the stroke of pen he revalued gold to thirty five dollars an ounce.
              Why?
              To wipe 75% of the liabilities off the balance sheet.
              Now you know the rest of the story.
              I'm cottonpicken.
              Goodday!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...