• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many people does your farm feed?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many people does your farm feed?

Apologies that this isn't a marketing topic.

For whatever reason, I had in mind that a farmer feeds 20 people, but when I thought about it that must be way too low. So I found out how many calories are in wheat and canola and figured out for my farm with average yields how many calories I supplied. It was much more than 20, to put it mildly.

From www.calorie-count.com, one cup (218 g) or canola oil has 1927 calories. From www.nutrientfacts.com, one cup (192 g) of HRS wheat has 630 calories.

Assuming about 40% canola oil from a bushel of canola, my small farm feeds almost 5000 people for a year (at maintenance 2000 calories/day) or almost 3100 fat Americans (at 3180 calories/day) for a year. (also likely applies to Canadians) This doesn't include the energy included in canola meal. And I only farm part time.

Now I'm sure there are some statistical and methodology issues here, and I realize that no one eats only wheat or canola oil, but some individual farmers on this board will feed entire cities for a year with calorie requirements. If my figuring is accurate, that's amazing.

Someone can check my math: about 89,486 calories/bu wheat and about 80,350 calories/bu in the oil from a bushel of canola. might be slightly off with metric conversions.

Can't say for sure how many people our farm feeds, but I do know it takes two off farm incomes to feed my farm ;-)

Comment

Easier math is that in many parts of the world a loaf of bread feeds a family of four for a day...56 loaves of bread per bushell

2000ac x 40bu x 56loaves x 4 people / 365 days= 49,095 people/day

Don't underestimate what you do for the world.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...