• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's Sayin' What

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's Sayin' What

National Post
    30th June, 2008
    Editorials
    by Lorne Gunter

The CWB's phony numbers game

One statistic concerning the Canadian Wheat Board (CWB) has always caused me wry amusement. When I first began covering the country's collectivist grain merchant more than a decade ago, it claimed to represent more than 120,000 farmers on the prairies. Today it boasts just 75,000.

The amusing part is that this decline undermines the board's central argument for its own worth -- namely that there is strength in numbers; all prairie wheat and barley farmers must be lashed to the board's mast together or, as individuals, they would surely sink.

But in just under 15 years, the number of farmers with permit books -- the licenses they need to sell their grain to the government, and only the government -- has fallen by almost half. If there is so much strength in numbers, how come farmers can be permitted to stop growing the grains that the wheat board markets?

Seriously. When I first argued that the board should be voluntary, there were nearly 120,000 farmers pooling their wheat together under the CWB's "single-desk" selling model. I said, even if a quarter of them chose to market outside the board, that would still leave 90,000, more than enough to provide the strength through unity the board argued was essential.

At the time, board supporters and PR types insisted 90,000 wouldn't do the trick. For their system to work, it had to include all 120,000.

Over the intervening years, tens of thousands of farmers have left to grow non-board crops, such as oats, beans, flax and so on. Some have left farming altogether because the board wouldn't free them to sell independently the wheat or barley they grew on their own land, with their own labour, using their own resources. All that's left is 75,000 growers, far fewer than the 90,000 I was told a decade ago was too few to keep the board viable.

Yet, still the board insists there is no room for farmers to sell their wheat except through the CWB.

It's clear, then, the board has no idea what number of farmers is needed to keep it viable, and equally clear the number of farmers shackled to it doesn't matter to the board. What matters -- as it does to all bureaucratic, central-planning agencies -- is control and survival. The board is not interested in maximizing return to farmers as much as it interested in maintaining its iron grip over prairies grain sales and, thereby, ensuring its own continued existence.

If the strength-in-numbers argument were valid, the board would not only be arguing for retention of its monopoly but for an addition law insisting no current wheat or barley grower should be permitted to switch to other crops, or, for that matter, to quit farming altogether.

When I have made this argument before, I have been told it is preposterous, that the board would never dream of forcing farmers to keep farming crops they don't want to. But how is that any more preposterous than forcing them to sell the crops they have chosen to grow only to the board, or face jail time?

The simple fact is, there is no difference. The coercion is only a matter of degrees.

If the board is still as viable at 75,000 farmers as it was at 120,000
    -- and the board insists it is -- than it would be equally viable at 50,000 or 60,000, if those farmers content to take the risk of marketing their own grain were freed to do so.

There is no legitimate argument -- economic or moral -- for permitting the board to retain its absolute control over prairie grain sales.

In his letter to the editor last week about a column I wrote last Monday, CWB chairman Larry Hill said what I had written was full of inaccuracies. I'll concede there was one -- I had missed the appointment by the Conservative government of five pro-free-market directors to the board to replace the Liberals' five pro-monopoly appointees.

I shouldn't have missed it and for that I apologize.

But I reject Mr. Hill's contention that I am a free-speech hypocrite for arguing strenuously for the right to free expression for others, but not the board.

I didn't write the headline that accompanied my piece, "Wheat board should remain silent." I said the wheat board should be made voluntary. That way, whatever money it spent on lobbying for its own existence would come only from those farmer-shareholders who agreed with that goal, rather than also from farmers who wanted out from under the board. What Mr. Hill and other board supporters want is the power for the CWB to be as coercive as government.

lgunter@shaw.ca

His new article is just about as silly as his first one. The number of farms and farmers has declined drastically not just permit holders. The decline can also be seen in the U.S. Correlating farmer number decline to the crops they grow is just dumb. This is what happens when eastern media write about things they know little about.

Comment

parsley,

Lorne should talk to us... about how many commercial grain growers (over 250,000 gross) ACTUALLY grow the grain in the "designated area"!

there would be way less than half the 75,000 Gunter is talking about!

Does anyone have the actual 2007 number?

Comment

Agstarr77,

What is the matter?

CWB 'single desk' can't save us from the world?

About time you realised the total stupidity of the 'single desk' argument when Canola has been over $15/bu and Flax $20.

Only a fool would believe the CWB can save 'designated area' grain growers!

Comment

June 27, 2008

Wheat Growers Salute Aussies

The Western Canadian Wheat Growers Association congratulates the Australian government on ending Australia’s wheat export monopoly.

The Australian Wheat Board (AWB Ltd.) loses its monopoly on July 1, meaning that all Australian farmers and companies will now be free to sell and export wheat from that country.

With the policy change, Canada becomes the only democracy in the world that jails farmers for selling their own wheat and barley.

“As we celebrate Canada Day tomorrow, many western Canadian farmers will pause and raise a glass to the Australian farmer, who will now enjoy the marketing freedom that we can only dream about,” says Cherilyn Jolly-Nagel, President of the Wheat Growers.

Under Canadian law, farmers in the Canadian Wheat Board “designated area” (i.e. Manitoba, Saskatchewan,

Alberta and the Peace district of B.C.) are prohibited from directly exporting their wheat and barley or selling these grains to a Canadian grain processor. Farmers in Ontario and elsewhere in Canada are free to sell their grain to a buyer of their choice.

“Prairie farmers are among the few Canadians who are not free to sell the fruits of their labour,” says Cherilyn Jolly-Nagel, President of the Wheat Growers.

“Except for producers of plutonium, virtually every other Canadian is free to sell their property to whomever they please, whenever they please.”

The Wheat Growers are merely seeking the harmonization of federal grain marketing regulations, so that business transactions that are permitted and applauded in one part of the country are not viewed as criminal activities in another.

“As proud Canadians, we simply want the same freedom that other citizens now enjoy,” says Jolly-Nagel.

“When Parliament resumes this fall, we urge all Members of Parliament outside the prairie region to join with MPs from the prairies and pass legislation to end this discrimination against western farmers.”

“In the meantime, three cheers for the Aussies.”

For further comment, please contact,

Cherilyn Jolly-Nagel

President

Home: (306) 354-2517

Mobile: (306) 354-7368

Best press release I've read for YEARS!
          Parsley

Comment

Talk about the kiss of death, poor Aussies!

Comment

It reads, just raise your glass, not your lips!

Freudian slip, lad?

Parsley

Comment

Agstarr
                You must find it completely unbelievalble that Western Canadian farmers can make handsome profits on crops like peas, lentils, canola, flax, mustard, chickpeas, oats, canary, etc. etc. All without the guiding black hand of the all-knowing CWB. We just aren't capable to do the same on wheat,durum and barley in your distorted mind. Time to remove the block between your ears from your backside and take a look around the rest of the free world. Farmers in other countries seem to enjoy operating withhout the likes of the iron curtain that we have to endure. I have yet to see any other countries grain and oilseed farmers lobbying to duplicate the archaic ,communistic marketing system that we are forced to participate in here in the "designated area". If you cant operate without it, fine, just leave the rest of us that want freedom the hell out!!

Comment

Umm, agstar Gunter lives in Alberta. Do you ever do any fact checking yourself?

Comment

agstar,

Lots of folks who WON'T grow CWB crops until the Board is dead, and won't take out a permit book until the Board is dead.

Permit book holders have not only declined because farms are larger, but they have declined because the CWB gouges big bites out of Western farmers, and it takes a long time for those wounds to heal.

And one by one, the Board supporters who ended up eating the scabs from those all those wounds, finally say, "Enough," and work towards getting the same prime rib the Board staff enjoy.

Parsley

Comment

And of course, I am referring to a single desk Board.

Comment

The Leader-Post

July 2, 2008

Letter by Larry Hill

CWB gets higher prices: chair

In his June 24 letter criticizing the Canadian Wheat Board (CWB), Art Mainil writes, "We do not need any more rhetoric." I couldn't agree more. Mainil, however, should follow his own advice. Rhetoric aside, the fact is that Prairie farmers are receiving higher average returns for their wheat, durum and barley than their counterparts in North Dakota and Montana.

U.S. officials have clearly stated on numerous occasions that the majority of U.S. farmers sold their grain long before prices climbed to peak levels. In fact, spot prices peaked in the U.S. precisely because hardly any grain remained available.

The North Dakota Wheat Commission, for example, reported that the majority of farmers in that state sold their durum at about $7 per bushel. That's over 70 per cent less than the CWB's May 2007-08 Pool Return Outlook of $12.06 per bushel for No. 1 Canada Western Amber Durum with 12.5 per cent protein, backed off to the farmgate in Saskatchewan.

I'd also like to point out that Quebec farmers do indeed have a single-desk marketing board for their wheat. Quebec producers, eager to make more money on the sale of their grain, created the Fédération des producteurs de cultures commerciales du Québec (FPCCQ) three years ago.

For those farmers who want increased pricing and delivery flexibility, the CWB's farmer-controlled board of directors is committed to improving the current slate of available options. Just check out such recent additions as FlexPro, GrainFlo, and, on the barley side, CashPlus.

Larry Hill

Hill is chair, Canadian Wheat Board board of directors.

Swift Current

Observation from Parsley:
                        Quebec ...producers????????/....created?

Oh really? You mean the Federal Government just din't slap in legislation?

Nice to be given the opportunity to have a voice, what's it like? Maybe you should take note, Larry, Hill.

Prairie producers want to uncreate.

BTW, don't forget that QUEBEC is STILL subject to the CWB's national licensing duties....asking for an export permit.

If a majority of CWB Directors were to vote to deny all export licenses to Quebec, based on the fact that Quebecers are selling into markets the CWB wants to sell in to, they could stop Quebec farmers' commerce cold in it's tracks,the same as the CWB does to Western farmers.

After all, licensing denial would be based upon the harm granting licenses to Quebec would wrek upon the pooling accounts.

btw, how much of the CWB pooling accounts are QUIETLY paying for Quebec's single desk?

Parsley

Comment

Mr. Hill likes to rest on his laurels and squat on an inheritted farm - tough life he's had.

But maybe he should start addressing the fact that those same dumb americans that sold their durum for $7 are going to be getting 14 or 15 this crop year. And where exactly are the PRO for durum?????

Keep living in the past but how is Mr. Hill going to explain being so far behind this year????

Oh yeah I know the term - INCOMPETENCE!

Comment

The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon)
                            Third of July, 2008
                            by Joanne Paulson
                            Farmers hold protest outside Ritz's office; Conservative gov't contravened CWB act, NFU member says

Ed Sagan was in front of Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz's office Wednesday with a message for the federal Conservatives. "We want the government to lay off the Canadian Wheat Board," said Sagan, a Melville-area farmer and member of the National Farmers Union (NFU).

Sagan was among about a dozen NFU members who protested at Ritz's office in North Battleford, objecting to the government's moves toward dismantling the Canadian Wheat Board's monopoly.

The NFU farmers were then moving on to a resort at Jackfish Lake for a convention.

Sagan said the Harper government has done several things to discredit the CWB, including restricting the voters' list for elections to the 10-member board to farmers who have produced 120 tonnes of grain in either of the two previous completed crop years.

That takes smaller farmers out of the vote.

"When we originally had the wheat board elections, they went and probably took 30 per cent of eligible voters off the list, and they put a gag order on the Canadian Wheat Board so they couldn't express their views . . . and then they fired (Adrian) Measner, the CEO," said Sagan in an interview.

"We feel very strongly that they contravened the (CWB) act completely," said Sagan.

"The last judge indicated the Canadian Wheat Board is arm's length of the federal government . . . yet (Prime Minister Stephen) Harper in his wisdom when he was here in Saskatoon last weekend said he would step on anybody who gets in his way," added Sagan.

"We won three court cases against those clowns. You would think they'd say maybe that's enough. And that is enough."

The latest ruling came June 20, when a Federal Court judge chastised the Conservative government for "silencing" the CWB by ordering the agency to stop spending money to promote its monopoly.

Justice Roger Hughes said the government exceeded its authority and violated the charter of rights' guarantee of freedom of expression.

The CWB described the government's directive as a "gag order."

Harper vowed to battle on. In Saskatoon, he said his government would continue its fight against the monopoly.

"But the bottom line is this, mark my words, Western Canadian farmers want this freedom and they are going to get it. And anybody who stands in their way is going to get walked over," said Harper.

Those words did not go over well with Sagan.

"As far as I'm concerned they're no different than the prime minister of Zimbabwe today. He is a dictator," said Sagan.

"They're pushing things on us that don't make any sense any more."

Sagan said the NFU protesters want the government to stop its attempts to kill the monopoly and to pay out Measner for his service.

"They want us farmers to pay for it. It was the government of the day that fired him, not us farmers."

Ritz was unavailable for comment Wednesday. In a recent news release, he said the government was studying the recent Federal Court ruling and considering its next steps, including a possible appeal.

jpaulson@sp.canwest.com

Comment

Interesting to note the driver in most of what has happened to date has been to have a open market for barley by August 1 but the word barley is never mentioned in the above. No reference is made to the CWB's own survey which highlight farmers desire for change.

Also note the reference to average prices. The average US prices are available online for those who care to look (weighted even).

http://www.ers.usda.gov/Data/Wheat/YBtable18.asp

The reference to pricing and delivery patterns is always interesting as well. Saw an interesting overhead recently which compared US farm delivery patterns versus Canadian. US farmers deliver a high percentage of their crop straight off the combine during the first quarter of their crop year (June to August). Canadian farmers biggest delivery period is our last quarter of the crop year (May to July).

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...