• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola Growers Van Thyme should be Replaced.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola Growers Van Thyme should be Replaced.

The canola growers association should once and for all replace their agrologist Van Thyme. I just don't get the man every time the Canola crop has a bad run this guy gives us the Oh wait a week and then check it out its fine. Last week he was talking how don't worry 3 plants per square foot will give a crop. Yes hes right in a perfect year. Cold and Dry is not that. He has crushed more markets than Terry Bedard and her Sask Ag report. Both have Rosy colored glasses that need to come off and tell farmers and media whats really going on. Not some article he read in a book or Terrie's crop reporters that are close to 80 and still play farming.
    1. Its still dry ( how come most canola crops still aren't 100% out of the ground)
    2. Its a really cold spring. Warmest day of the year so far this year was 2nd week of April at 28 celsius.
    3. Frost took out a lot of early seeded canola plants 5 - 20% depending on area and if you were called for -1 go check it probably was way colder.
    4. HRS and Durum are coming along.
    5 Barley got its bell rang with the frost will come back.
    6. Peas are one crop that in all my travels this week haven't seen a really really nice crop. Thin stands and uneven germination.
    7. Most flax coming so so.
    8. Flea Beatles in canola, chemical only lasts 2 weeks guess what some seed has been in ground a month.
    9. 4 tents is not a big rain event.
    10. All is fine on Sask farms! Oh crap these glasses really do work aw some.
    Have a good week! finally done seeding.

Don't get me wrong if things were running on all 8 cylinders then tell the world. I guess what I am getting at is for way to long we have been having experts in Canada giving their version of crop report and funny thing their wrong ever year. The CWB expert on weather cant even with his new expensive weather stations on elevators all over the west the low temp right.
    They probably mounted them on top of the elevator knowing the CWB staff.

Comment

why so excited? if you're right the market will come to you. i think you have to recognize, though, the amount of speculative inflation in the market as opposed to fundamental value. the analysts are talking the end of the commodity bubble so values might sit at s & d equilibrium and still be at lower levels than they are now.

Comment

you might be in luck. i just read that the american govt. will keep on printing money to deal with the credit crisis so in(stag)flation could continue for a while now just as cotton says. course costs will inflate too which makes a good crop even more important.

Comment

Sask;
          Have you ever grown 'fall seeded' winter canola?

It dies about 5 times before crop establishment!

We have seen canola in the cotyledon stage get to frozen dirt 4 inches down... and still make a stand!

If you plant early... then use Helix Xtra for flea beatles!

Don't shoot the crop scouts... they are there to hold your hand and make sure you don't do anything rash...

IP Canola is about the most at risk... cause volunteers can't fill in the gaps!

Comment

David Vanthyne, as well as his brother Ken, are two of the most educated guys you will ever meet when it comes to Canola or most crops in general. I greatly respect both of them and their opinions.

David saved me from reseeding, and today my canola looks great!!

What was your advice SF3??

Throw another scare tatic into all of us on how the sky is going to fall in on us once again!!!

Comment

I wouldnt give one agrologist credit for crushing a market.
              Who cares what those guys blather about.
              Check your own fields and make the best decisions for your farm.

Comment

Guys,any help/info you can give me on a half ***ed canola crop will/has been greatly appreciated.Uneven emergerance,frost effects,starting flea beatles(helix must have run out by now)would be appreciated.

I hope your right Tom and Snappy.

Sask-you must be the richest pessimest i've ever come across.

Jensend,i still Pray i'm wrong.
                Have you entered the inflation investment field?

Comment

Worth it.
                  Look at the date.

http://www.europac.net/Schiff-CNBC-10-1-07_lg.asp

Comment

schiff is right, i think. americans are getting poorer and the economics of the world are shifting away from n. america. i always said the same when the canadian dollar was in freefall. my capital was being depreciated all over the world and strength goes down with it. good looking woman though but kind of the dumb american type.

Comment

Thanks Cotton, But me vs Vanthyme.
                      I called problems with 2002 frost, 2004 frost and lower yields last year. He has no problem for 02, we will see for 04 and a bumper for last year.
                      Yes guys like that keep some from doing the stupid thing and reseeding but this year crop conditions in a great part of the west have some problems,
                      And tom you think I don't use helix extra it last two to three weeks that's it.

Comment

SF3, Dave recommendations are based on Canola Council plot research and lots of research funded by the provincial canola grower associations with Ag Canada. Research has shown that those few plants will yield more if they meet the guidelines of plant pops than if you reseed. Simple research.

Dave, as well as all the other agronomists in Canada get there information from this peer reviewed research that has stood the test of time. To single out Dave is absurd. Go ahead and reseed if you feel the stand isn't good enough. It is your decision in the end but leave of few test spots and do some weigh wagon yield comparisons for your own benefit. It's easy.

Comment

Also Dave is an agronomist with the Canola Council of Canada. The Canadian Canola Growers is involved in advocacy for farmers and manages the cash advance for non board grains and the livestock advance.

The provincial groups, Alberta Canola Producers, Sask Canola Development Comm, and Manitoba Canola growers fund a large portion of the Council agronomist program. The Canola Council of Canada is made of all segments of the industry of which ACPC SCDC MCGA and CCGA have representation on the board.

Comment

Wd40 you missed my point, I am not saying to reseed, hell I have tried that a few time since late 1970s and poor results (even one year with disc not till). what I am saying is how he gets on the radio and the markets here how its NOT THAT BAD> attitude. When most normal farmers know 5 - 20% of their crop is gone. The extreme yield is gone now were working on a good to excellent crop with rain etc. Its one chunk out of the final outcome. Yes Alberta has great conditions, That's nice but Northern Sask and Manitoba are having problems, its Dry and Cold, Most of the really great canola crops come from Alberta and Northern Sask and Manitoba. So if two out of three are not that great call it like it is.
                            Also on another note is Yorkton is getting two Canola crushing plants and has a third 40 miles away. Do you not think this is a large canola growing area, or did JRI and Bungee And Dreyfus just throw a dart at it for fun.
                            Two out of three aren't that great for June 1st.

Comment

SF3,

'Wd40 you missed my point,'... perhaps you missed the point... your call a resignation... that instead is a simple matter of opinion, and the advise about reseeding you admit is sound!

Why replace someone who is simply doing their job... correctly?

What is a 'good' crop... ?

The 08 crop is a very long way from being a bin buster... no one would dispute this! ARE YOU looking for his job... SF3?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...