• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If CWB advice is taken.........Reality takes over

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If CWB advice is taken.........Reality takes over

CWB representatives have recently challenged and encouraged at least some producers to become pedigreed seed producers. It seems this is one of their standard answers to farmers who seem frustrated with their limited marketing options though the CWB.

Presently there are US buyers of certified seed from Canadian seed growers. There are also Canadian Pedigreed Seed growers who have taken advantage of this opportunity. The CWB should be fully aware of the situation; after all they will have signed the no cost exemptions. The Americans have purchased varieties that are not commonly grown in the USA. In at least one case; one US farmer took a Canadian farmers total supply of one variety. The American is now looking for buyers of this same seed; because he has decided to grow a different crop. Its entirely possible (as the CWB and everyone else involved should have known from the beginning) that there was money to be made even by selling this seed directly into any US elevator system.
    For those readers (and the CWB) who feel that there can be no harm done because it is "identity preseved" or some other rationale;; then consider these arguments:
    it potentially raises the price of pedigree seed to all Canadian farmers who don't have the tools to get prices available to US growers
    it is a marketing option that is selective for a few Canadian producers; and there are no checks and balances to see that even the unfair rules are not abused
    it makes the option of becoming a registered seed grower (as CWB seems to encourage) seem repugnant
    it illustrates, along with other recent self serving statements by some CWB directors etc. that the CWB can rationalize any statement and use any set of data to come to a conclusion that seems to indicate a need for their monopoly

Checking

I can confirm, as I have written in this forum in the past couple of weeks... that you are correct. I was mocked by Earl Geddies... because I refused to be involved in this scheme... because it should be generally avaliable as it was before 1993... to be fair to everyone.

We need a cash wheat market INSIDE the 'designated area'... not just in Mt... ND... or Min.

The CWB could offer this cash market tommorrow... if they chose to do so.

Instead they choose to believe all wheat is theirs' contracted or non-contracted to the CWB.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...