• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fungicide in Canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is my biggest concern as well is that the product may not work. Is it applied to early, too late, field uneven, etc. I like stonepucker's idea of not spraying, but like he said to each his own. You dont know till its too late if it was a good idea or not and that is what drives me crazy. If you knew it would be way better (like weed spraying) but we are not typically high fungicide users. I guess I am not in the BIG BOY club and will be happy with my measly yields haha! Back in 2012, there were guys that sprayed and had no better yield than we did and we did not spray. Although aster yellows was a big problem as well. I really hope you like spending that 7% cheque when you got overcharged 50% by the damn chem companies! Keep feeding the parasites as SF3 woukd say.

Comment

4G...for me a huge part of the stress came from the app timing, once you become familiar with the staging and hoping the weather conditions are right(not too windy or too wet to get into the field) at the time when the small timing window is open the stress isn't as bad.

Then there is the stress of spending all that money not knowing if it will actually do any good and you get a payback or at least preserve what it there.

I actually hate every minute of it. Too expensive, hate tramping the crop, hate producing more bushels for less money, hate going through the motions with no results. Hate realizing the only result you're going to get is suppression of fusarium in cereals. Hate having my efforts picked to pieces when there is nothing I can do about it in some cases. Hate knowing the "limitations" of fungicide applications, realizing if conditions "persist" JUST spray again---said like its free. Doing nothing would be easier but maybe not right.

And that ****ing "rewards" cheque is a ****ing insult. Not much of a reward for the amount of risk I am taking and money I am spending with them. Oh yeah, and for the real high rollers, one Chem Co is offering a whopping extra 1% rebate, oh please let me bow down and kiss your feet in appreciation of your overwhelming generosity! Treated like the "HOSTS" we are, to the parasites....

Comment

That's enough negative waves for now, right Captain101?

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
          4G...for me a huge part of the stress came from the app timing, once you become familiar with the staging and hoping the weather conditions are right(not too windy or too wet to get into the field) at the time when the small timing window is open the stress isn't as bad.

Then there is the stress of spending all that money not knowing if it will actually do any good and you get a payback or at least preserve what it there.

I actually hate every minute of it. Too expensive, hate tramping the crop, hate producing more bushels for less money, hate going through the motions with no results. Hate realizing the only result you're going to get is suppression of fusarium in cereals. Hate having my efforts picked to pieces when there is nothing I can do about it in some cases. Hate knowing the "limitations" of fungicide applications, realizing if conditions "persist" JUST spray again---said like its free. Doing nothing would be easier but maybe not right.

And that ****ing "rewards" cheque is a ****ing insult. Not much of a reward for the amount of risk I am taking and money I am spending with them. Oh yeah, and for the real high rollers, one Chem Co is offering a whopping extra 1% rebate, oh please let me bow down and kiss your feet in appreciation of your overwhelming generosity! Treated like the "HOSTS" we are, to the parasites....
          Sounds to me like more negatives than positives. if only positive is MAY MAKE SOME MONEY, then go buy lottery tickets with the chemical money instead. There too you May Make Some Money, and no negatives really involved. LOL.

Comment

Tires are a 380 which is 380mm of treadwidth x2, comes to 2.5ft of trampling on 100ft boom so 2.5 percent the turning at headlands makes it about 2.75 percent. Its hard to calculate how much crop will fill into the tracks.

I feel same way farma.

Comment

I think fungiciding canola is much closer to an insurance product than a crop product. Bayer probably has actuaries figuring out their pricing. I don't think you will come out ahead if you fungicided every year similar to buying insurance. However 1 year in 10 you probably get a 7 to 1 return. The rest of the time you end up with trampled crop and heartburn.

Comment

Tramping crop
                50 bu x $10 =$500 acre

$500x.0275% wheels = $13.75 acre crop loss

I would like to see a daily humidity graph comparing 2012 June and July compared to June/July 2016.

I would if I could, anyone have the tools?
                Last edited by Rareearth; Jul 3, 2016, 14:12.

Comment

The canola council use to say if it wasn't a minimum 35 bpa crop .....it might not be worth it. Mostly because the crop could get air.

Comment

we sure don't lose 15" of our canola ? we use a lighter sprayer with dividers on the front , can't even see tracks 3-4 days after . half the time the tire is travelling between the rows and just pushes it aside . we lose more in grain but with the fus we have here it wouldn't be saleable if we didn't fungicide it

Comment

....just some?

Comment

We fungicide most of our canola. We cheap out and use Rovral. It has been working. There is so much canola grown here and conditions are certainly ripe for disease so we feel it's warranted. Canola price is close to $11/ bus and yields looking 50-60 bpa it's an easy decision.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...