• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hay markets

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hay markets

Holy we have tapped a good market putting another 300 in next year. Sold out and could have sold 3x as much before it was even cut.

Should gross 320 an acre and net close to 100. Spreads harvest out less seeding. Less inputs and goos for the land.

#rotations

I agree it can work good. Spreads risk pays off big down the road when you break it up.

Comment

What kind of a blend are you doing Klause? Totally agree with the rotation part of it.

Comment

We grow pure Timothy and pure alfalfa right now.

Timothy for the horse market. We have wet land with sloughs that can't get drained. Put in timothy put on 200 lbs of urea and 200lbs of sulphur... roots are developed and the sloughs and water table have dropped over a foot already.

The alfalfa is for the goat and sheep market which is getting really big around the cities because of changing populations and demand.

We don't over charge but sell at a healthy profit with delivery included.

Also selling rolled feed grains and blends. Started last year. This year already have 5k bushels of rolled oats and 7 of rolled barley sold along with 2000 of cracked peas.

Comment

Good niche market klaus. I hate sheep but selling feed to someone willing to raise sheep for an expanding market good on you. What are you doing about foxtail in those flood outs? That's my issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
            We grow pure Timothy and pure alfalfa right now.

Timothy for the horse market. We have wet land with sloughs that can't get drained. Put in timothy put on 200 lbs of urea and 200lbs of sulphur... roots are developed and the sloughs and water table have dropped over a foot already.

The alfalfa is for the goat and sheep market which is getting really big around the cities because of changing populations and demand.

We don't over charge but sell at a healthy profit with delivery included.

Also selling rolled feed grains and blends. Started last year. This year already have 5k bushels of rolled oats and 7 of rolled barley sold along with 2000 of cracked peas.
            Maybe want to show your new and growing sheep owner population this quote for newbies ..."If adequate pasture is not available, feed your sheep a grass-type hay such as timothy. Alfalfa hay is very high-protein and calcium and should be used only for sick or debilitated animals"

Agree with you on the forages using up some water with their proper root systems - soon you'll be like me looking for every rain you can get lol.

Comment

What is the secret for getting hay dry? So far all the hay in this area is nice and clean since it has gotten washed.

Comment

What do you do to ensure you receive payment? Do you have money up front? Dealing with a lot of people it can go sour in a hurry and then you are left holding the bag. Upfront payment is the only thing that makes sense. I always liked that market but this could be a tough year to put up good hay. How many lbs/acre do you get with your timothy or alfalfa? What is your crop rotation (5 years)?

Comment

Klause, you must be a real good bill collector. My experience in the hay market has been pretty unrewarding. It is tough to collect where I come from.

Comment

So what are your numbers Klause? Guessing 2 tons/acre at 8c/lb delivered to get the $320 gross? Works OK until you get rain as the others guys mentioned. Then in a typical year you have 2.5-3c/lb cow hay FOB in an area where there aren't a lot of cows. Know several guys that did this, none of them longterm for the above reason plus they got tired of dealing with the horsey crowd. You really need your own cow herd to feed lower quality stuff through.

Comment

Experience running a non ag business helps.

We take credit and debit.

Instant payment and you know it's good.

We inoculate the alfalfa. Bale it at higher moisture. Cut monday bale weds... used to get hay with no rain in MB rained a lot more there hahahaha.

Timothy makes 4 bales an acre 80 per bale. Alfalfa is 2.5 to 3 first cut and 1 to 2 2nd time around. Rounds are 75 a bale. Squares 5 each.

Anything off grade we have a premium cattle market...

Our hay so far has choked out the foxtail... have 1 low spot we have to fix
                      Atv sprayer and then reseed this fall.

Comment

Was thinking it will be hard to sell hay this year.last year was easy.no real problem areas that will need short.Make sure bales are good condition cause they may have to sit and extra year.

Comment

Ours are all sold already. And have guys wanting more!

Comment

You must have a bit of an average market.have not put any for sale yet so I hope your right.

Comment

You must have a bit of an average market.have not put any for sale yet so I hope your right.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...