• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grain Trailers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grain Trailers

Looking at a grain trailer and am wondering what everyone's experience is, and the pros and cons between steel and aluminum. We do pull out of the field with our trailers and am curious if the aluminum trailer will stand up to a soft field at harvest time. We previously have owned steel and have had no issues. Looking at a tandem or tridem.

We went with an aluminum Wilson, only way they come.

Was thinking about a welded aluminium Dakota but I know a couple of guys who have them and they're breaking.

I wanted aluminum because I didn't want it rusting. But riveted aluminum can also "oxidize". I've seen some sort "eastern" aluminum vans that badly corroded.

Pros and cons.....we only have a tridem...good enough for our acres.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
      We went with an aluminum Wilson, only way they come.

Was thinking about a welded aluminium Dakota but I know a couple of guys who have them and they're breaking.

I wanted aluminum because I didn't want it rusting. But riveted aluminum can also "oxidize". I've seen some sort "eastern" aluminum vans that badly corroded.

Pros and cons.....we only have a tridem...good enough for our acres.
      What kind of a price tag would a guy be looking at for a new Wilson tridem or tandem trailer?

Comment

Have a Wilson tandem for spring/fall in fields. Very happy w it and no issues. Also have a Doepker full aluminum Super B for highway hauling, and use it for harvest. Excellent trailers so far. Had a couple sets of steel B's before but after four or five years, rust starts. I hate rust. Alum will corrode too but if you look after them they will last a long time. Have heard people talk about loose rivets on alum trailers but yet to have that. Have owned Doepkers for 15 years, and would buy another one next time too.

Comment

We have Timpte tandem and really like it so far. Aluminum and Light to pull. Construction, fit and finish is excellent.

Comment

we have a wilson , bought it new in 2010 , same price as steel. it is a very good trailer . would never go back to steel . I cut a corner to sharp and it slid into ditch loaded . didn't hurt it at all . seem very well built

Comment

...about $60K. (Tridem)
              Last edited by farmaholic; Jun 29, 2016, 07:24.

Comment

we paid 39k for that new wilson 39 ' tandem in 2010 . lucky our grains and canola have gone up the same , lol. aluminum does oxidize a little but that is mild compared to how a steel trailer looks after 4-5 years . we also have never saw loose rivets in aluminum

Comment

caseih, ours was bought Jan/15. I wonder what the exchange has done to anything coming from the States now.

Comment

One thing I've noticed is tandem or tridem trailers really hold their value.

You still see used 1998 tandem trailers with leaf springs sell for over 20k.

Comment

Oliver , you see that blue one sell at schapankys spring sale . rusted right through , banned from hiway by dot , spring ride , sold for $13500 !! was a local trailer

Comment

I wouldn't buy anything but a Doepker. It's like Bourgault, strictly a top notch product and if there is a problem it's only an hour or two away to get it fixed

I can't justify the cost right now but if I had a choice, the new aluminum super b is a very sharp trailer

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...