• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Faba beans

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faba beans

Neighbour has a field just north of me , wow do they look good - corner to corner . Seeded end of April and never looked back. They are clean and thick.
    Will be interesting to see who the market for them is in the fall and how delivery goes .

Especially with only 6/10 rain in all of June to date

Comment

Shh. They are the best kept secret thing for moist areas. Twice the n fixing of peas, Cheap to grow, smell like heaven when blooming, no shaving the ground, pods a foot off the ground, stand all through winter if they must, never have to swath, combine as fast as you want, no disease issues, love moisture, and hog barns want them all day every day. I never got any in this year, and I am choked about it. Long season though. They do not grow fast initially, but once they get going, they are an amazing thing to watch grow. Maybe next year. Peas are for dry areas. Faba are for moist areas who have pea disease issues. No disease means no babysitting all year, spraying with this, that and the other thing. I predict they become a very common and main stream crop. Once you grow them, you will laugh at growing peas, and will more than likely want to double acres the following year.

Keep it under your hat there furrow.

Comment

Hey - you just let cat out lol
        I was just commenting how good they look
        Thx for the info 👍

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
          Hey - you just let cat out lol
          I was just commenting how good they look
          Thx for the info 👍

Lotsa room for more acres. It is a big worldwide crop. We grow it, they will come. But they need moisture, so the lentil guys can have their crop, and we can have ours.

Have a friend who grew them and his soil test said no n needed for barley. I put 60 lbs on my canola.

Comment

freeWheat, over the years, what's an avg. price and what's a high price when it comes to selling fabas' Priced by bus or lbs?

Comment

free, what's the two most important aspects when it comes to grading fabas?

Comment

Hey man, get out of my field!
                I did plant some organic (for crop) and they are suprisingly clean and growing well. Planted May 25. I broke some planting date rules. Probably harvest in November!!
                They NEED water.
                I planted 300 acres last year May 5 on beach sand. They froze every night from may 15-22, the no rain until July 13. I harvested 10 bpa on the best fields and plowed down the worst fields. I kept seed for my own plowdown then stumbled over a US market for $CAD 20.00/bushel.
                I have a bunch to plowdown in August as well.
                So far the faba beans have been a great lemonade crop. I dont know how I will keep the crops/fields clean in the future they are not very competitive.

Comment

Lygus bugs bugger the sample

Comment

This is true. Ultimately make dark spots on the beans.

Comment

Originally posted by boarderbloke View Post
                      freeWheat, over the years, what's an avg. price and what's a high price when it comes to selling fabas' Priced by bus or lbs?
                      I grow them for hogs, so I do not follow food grades at all. The ones I grow are small seeded so low seeding rates and they get through the drill no problem. The edibles are generally huge seeded, hard to get through the drill, and you need to seed 4 or 5 bushel an acre. I only followed the hog barn prices the last two years, and they range from 6 to 7 a bushel. Right now they are about 6.30.

Comment

Originally posted by boarderbloke View Post
                        free, what's the two most important aspects when it comes to grading fabas?
                        Size, lack of dark seeds, and yes, if you have lygus bugs, they can hUrt grade. I grow em for pigs, like I do with wheat and barley. So grade is never an issue.

Comment

Hungry pigs are not fussy!!

There is so much food in North America, some people are allergic to it.

Comment

Hungry pigs are not fussy!!

There is so much food in North America, I hear people are becoming allergic to it.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...