• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Well what a week, Farm progress show was fun to attend and run into lots and lots of people. Since last weeks report it has been 2.7 in at yard. Wet but the last 1/4 was a blessing. We are full to the brim and don't need any more rain for weeks. Funny thing yesterday the crop finally started to look like it was moving forward not backwards. Fats will stay on sprayer for fungicide as a pull tractor does more damage than a few pressed down crop and no deep ruts.
    So here it is.
    Durum has started to fill in very nice, Yes my shitty seed is still a negative on very high yield but, its a lesson learned. Sprayed and ready now for Fungicide number one folicur on flag then prosaro on head. Hey were wet and Dew is really bad in evening and morning.
    HRS is at the start of the flag and rows filled in. yes the water runs are still yellow but rest is looking real nice. Fungicide has to go on as it is soaking in crop.
    Barley is filling in nice with very little disease yet. It will get a fungicide at the first sign of curling of the boot. Saturday is probably best spray day and yes rain is on the way.
    Hopefully it goes north south or east or west of us.
    Peas don't like water and wow is that a fact. Early flower is starting today and fungicide will go on with a little micro package just to wake up some fields throw the hail Marry pass or waste a bunch of extra money to put lipstick on a pig. My south half still looks like a 9 and needs to be saved. My East parcel is coming back or looking better last night. My west peas it is the hail Marry field.
    Lots of guys wont be spraying as whole field is yellow. Not sure on peas but looks like could be crop to exit from next year.
    Canola doesn't like wet feet either and wow I have 5 quarters that prove that. The rest of our Canola is in Cabbage or close stage. Reseeding at this time is a waste plus with rain on weekend mud is mud. But after walking the fields I have assessed that 100 acres is gone and not producing anything rest is coming along and will produce. All canola has been sprayed and second app on Most will be done today. Where the excess water hasn't had trouble the crop looks good. Still potential but with each rain its dropping.
    Flax in area has yellow yellow spots and thinner than usual.
    Lentils the few who have are spraying and hoping for no more rain.
    Soy that's in looks good with second spray of Round up. Soy can take rain way better than peas.
    Pasture and hay. Well cows have grass up to there udders and hay will be awesome. First cut by valley looked real good.
    So basically the next week will be Fungicide from Air from the ground it will look like WW3. But real wet ok insane wet in Canopy.
    So keep safe and remember its just a crop. Hell I even had to eat those words this week after walking those sick 5 fields. Stress is a killer don't let it kill you.
    The ones at home are way more important than a crop they are trying to take. Look at the pea price how its dropping on expectation of a big crop. But ask the elevator company Agrologist what they have seen and you get a different answer than the buyers are spouting. Fun and Games its just beginning.

We went "rootin" around in the pea crop late yesterday afternoon, Yeah they are worth spraying, but when you find very little to no lesions of ascochyta/mycosphaerella I have to wonder what I would be spraying for? Then there is the bigger risk, root rot, of which there is nothing I can do about. Do you blow the money on only to watch them die from below the ground up? No saflufenacil, but did do Odyssey and they got a bit paler and stood still for a while. Nodules: some nice and pink and others on "newer" ground white as a sheet of paper, no need to work if there is enough N to take from the soil. Ground is wet and bad dew overnight and mornings. I really do think it would be a waste of money and would I get my chemical and application costs back?

Canola is ****ing awesome!!! Not perfect by really ****ing awesome. If it finishes as strong as it is now, WOW. Hill tops are a bit thin...had trouble keeping the drill from going to deep over the type of ground on those knolls. Bourgault is either up or down, no "feathering" it out . Just reduce packing pressure to zero over those spots.

Wheat and Durum are real nice too. There will be no flag spraying here, just Fuzz "SUPPRESSION".

Flax is nice and clean but wondering if the high rate of Authority isn't having a negative affect. From my experience flax doesn't like "wet" feet either, so some of I am seeing might also be from too wet. Sure don't see many flax crops in my travels!

Be safe and don't let the bastards grind you down. Oh yeah, don't look at the canola price at some locations if you still have some unpriced in the bin, Yikes, local terminal was a bit over ten bucks yesterday. The Companies that have crushers are better but the whole ****ing market slips when too many guys pull out. China and dockage?
    Last edited by farmaholic; Jun 23, 2016, 07:03.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
      ......the hail Marry pass.
      Is that what others call "the great white combine"? Get it? combine=marry? lol, I thought it was funny.

Comment

Here's an interesting thought: When you're out there with your sprayer ask yourself, what is the value (per bushel) of what I am trying to preserve and protect? $8 peas or $12 peas. $5.25 wheat or $7.25 wheat and what guarantee do I have that rain at harvest won't make it $4.50 wheat? $10 canola or $??.?? canola. Geez and knowing the more we produce the less per unit we get paid the less incentivized I feel!!! Stoopid!!!

Comment

Crops here look good. Yes there will be disease problems but for my last year of farming **** it. Going back to what I did in my younger years. Sprayer parked, not even looking at crops till they start to turn. Instead trail cameras set out and go check them every couple days instead. Much more relaxing looking at bucks racks in velvet and growing, mother moose with her twin calves, speckled fawns bouncing behind mom. Nature is so relaxing. Good luck to those who chase this spraying game.

Comment

Crops here look good as well. You can see the poor land showing up but on a whole it looks pretty good. Cereals are at or close to flag leaf stage, canola is cabbaging and peas are close to flower. Haying will start after the weekend as I dont want to knock any down will potential rain on the weekend and next week looks good. I agree with farma, how do you project your return when you dont know price and yield outcome. Unless you are the one to price your whole crop (crazy but takes a big set)!

Comment

Crops looking good here too, we've had plenty of rain so there is some moisture stress and drowned out areas. Sprayer sits till fall. I sprayed 300 acres of wht. on wht. with bumper at flag and that is my entire fungicide program for the year. All fertilizer goes on the previous fall. I like setting up trail cams and watching bucks too!

Comment

Starting to see speculation that this year's crop will match or exceed 2013 when rail transport became such a big issue.
                Federal government has extended grain shipping order, railways say that drop in other shipping allows them to give more attention to grain and handlers have more capacity coming on stream.
                Supply and demand may mean lower prices and growers deciding to hold grain over and reducing inputs for next year.
                Some indication that this has happened already with wheat in U.S.

Comment

Just build bins.

Solves the grain cos and railway problems for them.

The marketing reps don't even have to visit the farm and listen to you. ....just drive by and do the math.

Comment

Then they can call you at their leisure and if you get snotty with them .... they have a list of preferred customers.

Come on fellows ..... make it easier for them as you buy high speed loading and unloading equipment so you can sit in a lineup with a three ton set up at the elevator down shit highways.... blah blah.

Earn your gold star.

Comment

The crops here look excellent. Early planting is in flag leaf and canola just beginning to bolt. Lots of in crop weed spraying complete .
                      The organic crops germinated so thats good.

Comment

With rainy weekend coming and the best lentil crop we have ever seen in the field, why wouldn't we pour on the fungicide? We've seen the brown fields and asco lentils of the nay-sayers. Hope everyone else keeps their wallets in their pockets.

Comment

An aerial applicator we know booked 25,000 acres today for ASAP. We are on the list. Cheap in our estimation. Next gotta look at durum.

Comment

I tramped through our peas today. Hated doing it. And to think they're going to get it again with reglone. Aphids will probably get a free pass if there are any.

Sometimes auto steer follows the same trail....we.don't pay for an accurate signal so......

Comment

Looks like Swift Current having another drink. Please don't send it our way this time.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...