• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola

Somebody has been rocking the canola boat and I think it capsized.

Is it the whales, flushing out the riff raff before the heat hits the Midwest? and canola getting caught up in the down draft of the bean push?

Seems crush margins are at near strongest all year, that was before today's drop. I don't think the drop is due to unprofitability for crushers.

Did the USD jump up today?

Comment

Aye whales methinks. Wasn't going up anymore. See if it will go down.
      Also, fundamentally, producer canola deliveries have been very strong.

Comment

Most traders and funds want to be long beans but not at the levels they were at. We'll see if a pullback will spark more buying. Low acres and crazy weather are still going to leave everyone nervous about bean supplies until the crop is made.

Comment

Aye matey....she's going lower than whale shit in the Challenger Deep(deepest spot in the oceans)!!! Big crop coming and China ****ing things up.

Comment

Will be interesting to see what happens to the canola market when China can no longer afford to buy. Hopefully we see some production cutbacks this summer to keep market in balance. Had some here already due to flooded spots but most canola looks pretty good.

Comment

It will be just great after 45 years to STILL get same dollars per bu as when I started!
              Buying power since 1975 has dropped by 4.5times. Canola would equal $40, wheat $20 net to producer.

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
                It will be just great after 45 years to STILL get same dollars per bu as when I started!
                Buying power since 1975 has dropped by 4.5times. Canola would equal $40, wheat $20 net to producer.
                Would you like the same yield?

Let's add up all the numbers

Iceman out

Comment

Polish canola running 40 with 99cent seed and 19 cent N. Yup I'll take the old yields and @ 4.5x price. Hell I do organic with lower yield for 3X already.

Comment

Stopped at the truck stop in Davidson for lunch, land advertisement on the wall. Said you could expect yields regularly up to 40 bu. in wheat, 60 in barley and 30 in flax. Didn't talk about canola, but I guess cause the ad was from 1910. And where is our prov. average at, not a whole lot more than 70s. Ill take the 3 times higher anyday also.

Comment

You'd think our yields would be astronomical with all the research and check-offs. Even the same diseases and insect problems. We grew 50 bushel Canaryseed and 80 bushel Glenlea in 1982. Haven't matched it since.

Comment

Who the **** would want to handle twice as much product for half as much money and be no further ahead in the end? Not that any of us want to, but we are being forced to produce more on thinner per unit margins!

Comment

In 70's, MIDAS, Zephyr Argentine did yield 40, no disease package but there was NO disease yet. They were 5" tall and a bitch to swath. Polish up to 30, costs, 60 cents a lb for seed treatment, about same for cleaned seed, $6/ acre seed cost. On SMF, only phos, treflan at $10/ acre. We had it good but did NOT know it at the time. Oh ya, 5 cents a liter diesel. New 4430 JD duals, AC, $14000 cash.

Comment

we always grew polish. probably a big mistake. I remember thinking 45 cents a pound for seed was outrageous.
                            mostly on smf. 25 was a good crop.30 excellent.
                            had a neighbour grow Midas it went 50 . that was the end of the polish

Comment

I find todays canola varities have less seedling vigor than open pollinated varities 25 years ago. One too many rains and the crop is a dud.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...