• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you market feed barley?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you market feed barley?

Wondering how everyone else markets their feed barley? Brokers always get a better picked up price than any local feedlots will pay delivered. I've even had broker get me a better price by selling to another broker who wouldn't pay that price to me directly.

BUT, as often as not there seems to be a catch. Ranging from "accidents" on scale ticket or grading, to someone going out of business(I was tangled up in Cranston Grain and just missed Newco). Almost always get it sorted out eventually, but it always looks like they are trying to pull a fast one and assume that most people won't check or notice. Almost coming to the conclusion that there are no honest feedlots, or no honest brokers, or both. After enough bad experiences, I only sell small quantities, 2 or 3 super B's at a time, in case something goes wrong.

Elevators posted delivered price is generally too low to even consider.

I only have a body truck, so hauling directly to feedlot alley is not feasible for me. But I know one farmer who got his own trailers just so he could always deliver his own grain and be there when they weighed and graded it.

I should recant my statement, Pat Morrison from Healthy Herds feedmill in Bentley has an impeccable reputation.

There are many feed buyers out there with an impeccable reputation . . . .

Feed barley demand is dying out for this crop year. There is no export market as Cdn barley prices are higher than the competition in the Black Sea. Feeders are largely covered, so it is 2016-17 country now.

Path of least resistance for old crop barley bids right now is . . . down.

Comment

We are in the process of selling barley today that they want for delivery next week. I'm confused.

Comment

Back to topic- We are dealing direct with feedlot. Have dealt direct for years with a few different ones. Live within 50 miles of "the alley". Haven't ever had a problem in 35? years. Have used brokers before. Still keep in touch and will use again if needed. Hire local trucking company (buddies also) to haul and he has the trust of feeders to weigh self,etc. We try not to screw up their stocks with bad supply (we give a heads up if a problem load cause it does happen) and they are prompt with payment. Have been close to getting caught in the middle of bad deals with brokers but have been lucky- so far.

Comment

Big range of practices and strategies and what works for one has no guarantee of working for next person.
          Thinking especially of those who are uncomfortable making forward sales until crop is in the bin.
          Our farm has become more comfortable with using option strategies and selling to a variety of buyers than in the past.

Comment

The closer you are to the demand barley pencils not bad but farther away it is a money losing venture if 50 to 60 bu crops are the norm. Used to grow a fair bit for sale but now any barley I grow is mostly feed for the cows. Used to be 1/4 of the fields were barley around here but now it's hard to find a field. As long as wheat pencils better here nothing will change. I assume other areas are more suited to barley. I wonder with the proliferation of better corn varieties and less cattle if feed barley acres will shrink more.

Comment

currently selling feed barley for 195 to 205 on farm Australian dollars

Comment

There appears to be solid malt barley demand from the craft brewing industry.

New crop malt bids approaching $5.25/bu is a decent return and will likely maintain and/or increase barley acres. Upcoming Stats Can acreage report may indicate this.

But heavy cattle feeding losses will make it difficult for feed prices to move higher anytime soon. The southern Alberta feedlot market is the price setter for Cdn barley prices.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...