• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Faba bean update!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faba bean update!

Well, I finally dared to venture out. Went and did a full mile. The elk ate the bulk of a quarter of land, half my fabas. Terd piles every ten feet, nothing standing in about 100 acres. Land I could not get to until this Saturday. Crop ins adjuster out. She went to an untouched area, counted, and got 60 bushels an acre, AFTER winter loss. So they WERE there after all. Probably close to a 70 bushel crop originally she estimated. I am glad her numbers matched up with my estimate from fall. Honesty is always good to confirm with SCIC. Sure wish I could seed more this year, they look to be a good fit for here. Too late now, my cereal stubble is soppy. She commented on our nice heavy soil. I told her it has been a curse since 2005! lol

Very thankful for the big game damage program. Elk only moved in here about when the wet years began. Now there is a herd of about 40 roaming in the area. Not to mention I saw 13 moose in the winter at the same time on my beans. I guess they like them as well. Put in for the draw, hope to get drawn and save a few bushels of crop.

Oh, and she got stuck once in the field, and once on the road which I am supposed to haul the beans home on??? And almost stuck about 8 times. Had to use her quad. It is still that wet. She was amazed at how wet we are. She agreed that even if I can combine, there is really no way to get the beans home because of water running across fields, and the road I need to haul on. "You couldn't seed this even if it were combined", said she.
    Just awful. That is my driest and highest field by a long shot. Maybe next week I can start seeding?

Anyway, I know some on here wanted to know what the deal was with my fabas. I would try the canola, but those fields are at LEAST twice as wet as the faba land. I asked her about too wet to combine. She said she would bring it up with her boss after seeing our conditions, because it is "really not fair, the position you are in on your farm." Twas an interesting and eye opening experience to be able to share the conditions with someone who can relay that to the big wigs at SCIC. Too wet to combine. Coming to SCIC for net year? lol

We shall see.

Thar be your faba update.

Thanks for the update. Adds perspective.

Comment

What a contrast to here.

Me being stuck yesterday was my own stupidity, both by far the exception and not the rule. Well, one of them anyway...you decide. :-)

Comment

Freewheat, thank you for the update.
        That is some crazy area you are in!
        The only suggestion I can think about for this season is green feed oats mixed with peas to generate revenue.
        That faba bean stubble should have high fertlity going forwad.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
          Freewheat, thank you for the update.
          That is some crazy area you are in!
          The only suggestion I can think about for this season is green feed oats mixed with peas to generate revenue.
          That faba bean stubble should have high fertlity going forwad.
          A guy north of me who grew a few acres last year, got a soil test done and on his which yielded about 25 bushels less than mine would have been has ZERO n requirements for barley or oats. I am looking into underseeding some barley or wheat with Timothy perhaps to match the crop choice with the conditions.

Comment

I combined beans for a neighbour on march 23rd 2016
            18% moisture, pretty black, about 1ton/acre

Comment

Hope you purchased too wet to seed insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by BreadWinner View Post
                Hope you purchased too wet to seed insurance.
                Yuppers! How goes down south?

Comment

Originally posted by freewheat View Post
                  Yuppers! How goes down south?
                  Going good hot, breezy and low humidity. Cant get it much better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by BreadWinner View Post
                    Going good hot, breezy and low humidity. Cant get it much better than that.
                    Lucky fellow! lol

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...