• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fair Warning

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fair Warning

Reporter Ed White has stories in this week's Western Producer about lingering problems with United States wheat grower ability to deliver into our bulk handling system.
    Agree that it is our own grower interests to remove potential trade irritants of this type.
    Am disappointed with Canada Grains Council for pooh poohing it as an issue and not working harder on solutions in past.

Agree Hopalong that this should be an easy fix. But I don't think the Canada Grains Council is to blame. They, along with the Wheat Growers led the push to change the legislation that would eliminate this trade irritant. The Conservatives did respond with Bill C-48 but the legislation died on the order paper with the call of the election. I'm sure the Council, Wheat Growers, Cereals Canada and others are pushing the Liberal gov't to make it a priority and end this discrimination against US grain. Our access to the US market is too important to allow this issue to fester.

Comment

So the closer to the US border you farm the more of an implication this will be with the possibility of the local terminal filling up with US wheat. Kinda like it is for them with our wheat/durum going south.

I believe the table is already being set for that banquet. New classes of wheat to accomodate their varieties.......

Comment

I don't think we'll see much wheat moving north but I suppose there are scenarios under which this could happen (e.g. a short crop in Canada, a big crop in the U.S., and more attractive rail rates here). But even so, I would say it's a small price to pay in order to maintain unfettered access to the U.S. market. Besides, grain moving north (e.g. canola to our crush plants) generates economic activity here, and helps maintain the viability of our facilities when Canada has a small crop.

That's the value of free trade -- grain flows to where it makes the most economic sense, competition is keener, and over the long haul, the farmer (and the consumer) are net gainers.

Comment

How about working towards a north American grading standard?

Do we really need so many classes of wheat the graincos can't segregate with the larger concretes of today?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...